ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitted a new steering wheel now my ESP is stuck off?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all..

Just back in from fitting my new OMP wheel and BOSS. while removed my standard wheel i managed to pull both plugs out of the back of the airbag by mistake.

Meh.

Wired the horn up and then took the car out a quick drive and when i pulled off, my ESP light flickered then stayed on, ive tried turning it off at the switch but this does nothing!

when i turn the car off then back on, the light will stay off then eventually flicker back on and stay on.

Im just wondering if ive possibly damaged a wire while removing the old wheel, and if so, how can i fix it?

Also, i pulled the plastic trim off which the ESP button is on and i found the plug for the brightness on the dials and the one for the ESP and ALSO 2 other plugs which are just hanging lose?

Thanks, Liam.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
could it have done a single revolution before putting the wheel back on?! that usually causes havok in the ECU, but usually trips the ABS

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Its the ESP, not the abs mate, but I've just thought about what you said and I think when I have the steering wheel turned to get at the airbag clips, then I put the new wheel on straight, if you know what I mean?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Eating my words now... ABS light is also on now along with the ESP and the usual serv+airbag.

is it as simple as turning the wheeel around then stick it back on?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Nah you don't.

Remove the wheel and spin it all the way to one end, then 2.5ish revolutions back to centre. There's an indicator too but I've never used it.

Well I did. Tried all the above s**t and it didn't work. Had to get it plugged in. There isn't an indicator on the 182 squib either AFAIK I looked everywhere :(

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry for this, and it could be the most stupid question ever, but what exactly am i spinning? is it the part that the wires come out of?

Thanks alot Jenic, reading that really has saved my day! haha

EDIT - which way do i spin it, either way?

Thanks!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Well I did. Tried all the above s**t and it didn't work. Had to get it plugged in. There isn't an indicator on the 182 squib either AFAIK I looked everywhere :(

Bad times :(

I've not seen the indicator but I know Aluco mentioned his inferno had it.

Sorry for this, and it could be the most stupid question ever, but what exactly am i spinning? is it the part that the wires come out of?

Thanks alot Jenic, reading that really has saved my day! haha

EDIT - which way do i spin it, either way?

Thanks!

Either way, it's the small thing in the centre with the wires yes. Easiest thing to do is spin it all the way to one side, then spin it all the way to the other side counting the number of revolutions, then half that number back should take you to centre. I'm sure it was 5 in total, 2.5 back to centre, but it's a couple of years since I last did it.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok well ive got nothing else planned for tonight so ill defo give this a go tonight!

Could it be because the wires were snapped when removing my old wheel, and can these parts be replaced easily?

Thanks!