ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First race of the season in the XR2 at Mallory

The off season since November felt like ages, partially due to not having a lot to do on the car thankfully, what I did do can be seen here. The only problem I didn't manage to sort out was an issue with the gearbox - shifting from second to third is really difficult and it cost me time in both sessions of the day - more-so the race.

Was back out at Mallory this weekend for the first round of the season, the major difference this year is that the classes have been split, so Class B which I'm in runs separately to the Saxos/106s/etc. Now i'm just racing against Novas, 205s, XR2i's, Swifts, AXs and other XR2s.

Qualifying
Never been to Mallory before, so decided to take qualifying reasonably steady to start with (have to do a minimum of three laps to be allowed to race). Started to pick the pace up a little after this and on lap five I set a 59.02s lap just before another XR2 decided to lay down a rather large amount of oil. As soon as I saw oil on the racing line, I backed off, knowing I wasn't going to better my time and didn't want to throw it into the scenery doing so. You can see the oil in the qualifying video at 2:07 as a thick white line down the middle of the circuit.

The guy who was fastest in qualifying, last year's champion spun off unsighted on the oil at the first corner, those who know Mallory know how quick this bend is - and a couple of laps later someone else did the same in the same spot, hit the parked car and rolled. Our session was red flagged and that was me qualified 12th for the race.

Brief highlights:

Race
Got a decent-ish start on a damp grid, no wheel-spin, but knowing the problem with third I wanted to get it early, so I wasn't trying to find it at 6000rpm - shuffled me a few spots down the order. Had a wobble under braking on one lap into the hairpin, felt like a wheel coming loose which wasn't very confidence inspiring and an orange XR2i nipped through. The drizzle stopped and I felt the grip come back, so started pushing on, having a good battle with a red XR2 who was having some sort of issue round the first corner - I was exiting a good 10mph faster.

Fairly uneventful from there on, managed a 57.69s lap (exactly 1 second slower than the race-winner), missed some more gears, apexes, got some understeer, missed more gears etc. Pulled a decent move on the final lap to pass a Nova for 11th place overall and 8th fastest lap.

Post-race checks found 1.5 litres of coolant missing. Sounds like a new headgasket, along with the gearbox sorting out before the next round, which, fingers-crossed, will be Cadwell on May 8th.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbos.
Never been to Mallory, i guess it must because it being such a short lap...

That Pimlico Plumbers cars was incredibly smoky! Surprised he lasted! Shame about the gearbox... but nice little battle there.

I would be flashing up cnuts at the hairpin so they'd outbrake themselves LOL

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL at Success , Fail, ****!

Looks like you did quite well considering your gearbox problems etc :)

Disappointed though that the post-it note with suspension settings has gone :dapprove:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
love this!!

Dan changed the head and gasket between quali and the race

This is what happened in qualifying when you don't back off for oil at the fastest part of the circuit....

206999_10150542934000574_726175573_18195703_6788773_n.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Nice mork mate. Doing any circuits darn sarff this year?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Cracking stuff! If it wasn't for that gearbox issue I'd have said you'd have been in the top ten. Nice bit of hunting down to nab that Nova on the last lap as well.

S2000 + E91 330D
For me, all the -park circuits are awesome. Track days are for pussys. Racing is awesome even at club level.. Been some serious carnage over the years in the 750mc stock hatch..

Cracking stuff! If it wasn't for that gearbox issue I'd have said you'd have been in the top ten. Nice bit of hunting down to nab that Nova on the last lap as well.

Never give up ;)

Gearbox will be sorted for the next round. Think it may be a bent linkage arm. The engines being stripped now to find out why it's not revving freely and losing so much coolant.

182cup & 172 racecar
For me, all the -park circuits are awesome. Track days are for pussys. Racing is awesome even at club level.. Been some serious carnage over the years in the 750mc stock hatch..

So you are saying,carnage=awesome racing,mmmm.

Nice one. What's the new surface like? Shame about the gear box issues.

Not sure if I'm tempted to do a Mallory Park track day or not.

Caterham 270R
You know all the right places for the action don't you! The roll cage stood up really well - scruitineers passed it to be able to reuse it.

Fair shout it lookd a mess by the scrutineering bay , not a good start to the year

172 Race Car
Only just got around to reading this mate, great job, shame about the problems but lap time is none to shabby.

Good luck at Cadwell, we will be at Brands on the same day

S2000 + E91 330D
So you are saying,carnage=awesome racing,mmmm.

Not at all, I'm saying racing is pretty sweet whatever level you are doing it at..
Then also mentioning in a different statement, that you unfortunately get a lot of crashes in stock hatch..