ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Pictures - Sony a200 (Amateur)

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi,

I got a Sony a200 at Christmas and I've been out and about taking some pics.

As Im a complete amateur in the world of photography, I think this camera will be good to learn with.

Since I've been using it, I've been on the web learning/understanding the terminology of photography (ISO, Aperture, shutter speed etc.)

Here's a few pics so far, I would appreciate comments and advice :)

3171724294_4032fbe7f5_b.jpg

3170854053_7b95c34ea4_b.jpg

The two above are pics of Tatton Park.

I got lucky with the two pics below of a brave Robin:

3170848611_84d2323c7e_b.jpg

3170890563_c966bc4d8f_b.jpg

A friends tortoise:

3171688752_691caf29a5_b.jpg

and finally, slow shutter speed of the M58 earlier on:

3170886353_db5004d48d_b.jpg

Again, comments and advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Martyn G

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
All seem alright to me..

Liking the puffed out robin .. there are a few in my garden on a regular basis looking the size of tennis balls at the moment !

Tortoise looks like he's not amused at having picture taken. But then they are funny looking creatures anyway...

Advice ... erm .... keep practicing :) easiest way to learn.

As above really, nothing wrong with these at all, and you seem to be doing the right thing (practising!) which is the best advice anyone can give.

Exposure seems particularly good with the first two for those type of scenes, is that Matrix Metering (not sure what Sony call it)?

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cheers for the comments :)

Thats what I've been doin really; practising. Can't put the thing down! lol.

ukaskew, I don't know what Matrix Metering is :eek:

I like the second landscape shot but it probably would have been better if I'd have got the full length of the tree in.

ukaskew, I don't know what Matrix Metering is :eek:

There are generally 3 or 4 metering options, one of them is usually called 'Spot' and another generally has "Centre" in the title, the other could be anything, Matrix, Multi or something.

It's basically so you can choose how the camera looks at the scene in front of you in terms of how light/dark it is. I'm rubbish at describing it, but the most obvious example is change it to Spot during a Sunset and take pics with the Spot in different places, you will soon pick up on what it's up to.

Spot will just take a reading from whatever point you highlight, Centre will take a reading from the Centre, and the other one (Matrix, Multi or something) will evaluate the entire scene.

I generally ignore it, but apparently it's quite useful to know!

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ah, I understand. So the camera itself will choose the correct exposure automatically?

B

Brown.

Just a quick photoshop of your first image, something liek a grey grad filter would just help to capture the detail of the clouds/sky a bit better......as i say a very quick PS...bit noisey but ya get the idea......i also suggest you skim through Ukas's previous post's, will show you whats possible with a digital camera.

Before:

3171724294_4032fbe7f5_b.jpg

After:

3171724294_4032fbe7f5_bs.jpg

( must stress this i s a quick PS ;) lol )