ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First car, first post

RS 200 CUP
Hey just started using this so thought I'd say hi and maybe see if anybody has any words of wisdom for me. Quick background on me: I'm 24 but only recently started driving because it wasn't feasible while I was at uni. My first car is an ex-write-off (small dent in door) Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v that my grandad got me for £400 so that I could get to work easier. I've fallen in love with my little Clio and planning on getting a quicker model when my insurance won't be crazy high. Is it worth spending much money on my current Clio or should I just keep it as it is until I can upgrade? Don't know how long that will be though so looking for a bit of advice

RS 200 CUP
Nope. run the cheapy into the ground.

Pouring money into a car that will only ever be worth £1k max is silly...
Cheers for the quick reply, I thought this might be the case.
I'm guessing I'll be waiting a few years before my insurance drops enough to make something else feasible (I'm think Mk2 182).

PH2 172
Cheers for the quick reply, I thought this might be the case.
I'm guessing I'll be waiting a few years before my insurance drops enough to make something else feasible (I'm think Mk2 182).
If your looking to get 2 reliable years from it, and there is no history, get a basic service, check over done.
Tyres,brakes,wheel bearings,steering,oil & filter,air filter and often neglected valve clearance (screw & locknut on this model).Perhaps a cambelt.

Listerine & Poledo
as above. spend your money on keeping it roadworthy. Anything more is just a waste that you could have poured into a legitimately better vehicle.

RS 200 CUP
If your looking to get 2 reliable years from it, and there is no history, get a basic service, check over done.
Tyres,brakes,wheel bearings,steering,oil & filter,air filter and often neglected valve clearance (screw & locknut on this model).Perhaps a cambelt.

Sorry I forgot to state that I've had the car for just over a year now and I learnt to drive in it, hence me falling in love with it.
I had to fit a new clutch a few months ago and I've just serviced it and got it through it's MOT. The cambelt is the only thing that I haven't checked over thoroughly but the basics are done and it runs okay (I'll have a look over the weekend but nothing was mentioned from my MOT). I'm hoping to get at least another year from it without anything going wrong so anything past that I'll probly do what budgie said and just run it into the ground whilst saving up.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You sound like you've got a pretty sensible head on you, you've basically already worked out for yourself what the best solution is :up:

That said when I had mine, the only real thing I did was fit the best tyres I could get on it. Doing that is the best pound for pound mod you can make to any car and even with its roly poly handling it was easily able to keep up with and sometimes lose a 172/182 on a twisty road.

RS 200 CUP
I'll bear that in mind with the tyres, haven't needed any since having the car but should do soon. Any specific recommendations as to what tyres to get?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
You sound like you've got a pretty sensible head on you, you've basically already worked out for yourself what the best solution is :up:

That said when I had mine, the only real thing I did was fit the best tyres I could get on it. Doing that is the best pound for pound mod you can make to any car and even with its roly poly handling it was easily able to keep up with and sometimes lose a 172/182 on a twisty road.
I second this, did this with my 1.2. I put some AD08R's on mine, absolutely hilarious body roll but the grip was actually really impressive. Had loads of fun.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Was that when the 1*2 was on a low loader? flol.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Was that when the 1*2 was on a low loader? flol.

Lol, you can ask any of the SW mob from back in the day. Or just watch this video. That's Fred@BTM, I'm sure you'll try to call him a liar too.

It's no secret that 1.2s are not really that much different in terms of cornering ability to the 1*2.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, you can ask any of the SW mob from back in the day. Or just watch this video. That's Fred@BTM, I'm sure you'll try to call him a liar too.

Fred, a very experienced supercar driver come racer or what ever in iirc a modified well setup 1.2 V's someone barely out of nappies in his 1st car... Okay then...

Nearly as funny as you thinking your standard volvo out performs/handles an M4. You need to differentiate the difference between dreaming and reality flol.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi and welcome.
If you do ever need any help with insurance at all then please fell free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to help.
Regards,
Dan.

RS 200 CUP
Just ignore him. The only reason he posts is to start arguments.

I'm not here to argue with anyone and I don't get baited into arguments often so no worries. If there's already bad blood between people I'm staying out of it :D

Are there any Clio's worth getting that lie somewhere between my 1.2 and the 2.0 182? I don't expect my current one to last ages and if I'm not putting much money into it I can upgrade to a halfway point sooner while waiting until I've been driving a few years so insurance doesn't rob me as much for a 182.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No problemo, he just follows me around.

Not particularly, you're best off going direct. The 1.5 dcis are good but not really worth it as a go between!

RS 200 CUP
Okay so from the advice I've received it looks like my best bet is keeping my current Clio, not spending much on it and not bothering with the 1.5 - just saving for a 182 or 172.
My plan then is to spend a little bit making it tidy and a little nicer to look at but on a tight budget. I've seen another 1.2 on ebay that is pretty much how I'd like mine to look but only if its not too expensive. Just wanted to get some opinions on this 1.2 Dynamique with 172/182 bodywork. I'm hoping that the most expensive thing would be the wheels which wouldnt be a problem because I can store my current ones and swap them back over when I get rid so that money isn't really wasted. Also where would I go about getting the 172/182 styling parts?
Cheers guys

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Okay so from the advice I've received it looks like my best bet is keeping my current Clio, not spending much on it and not bothering with the 1.5 - just saving for a 182 or 172.
My plan then is to spend a little bit making it tidy and a little nicer to look at but on a tight budget. I've seen another 1.2 on ebay that is pretty much how I'd like mine to look but only if its not too expensive. Just wanted to get some opinions on this 1.2 Dynamique with 172/182 bodywork. I'm hoping that the most expensive thing would be the wheels which wouldnt be a problem because I can store my current ones and swap them back over when I get rid so that money isn't really wasted. Also where would I go about getting the 172/182 styling parts?
Cheers guys

I wouldn't bother trying to make a rep. The cost will start to add up when you factor in the parts, paint, wheels etc. At 24 you can't be too far off getting reasonable insurance on a sport even with minimal no claims.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I'd wait until you have one years no claim bonus and turn 25, then I bet you'll be able to get a good insurance quote on a standard 1*2.

RS 200 CUP
Okay cheers for help guys, ill leave it for now and save up. Will probly just tidy it up and do any little jobs to keep it roadworthy and presentable.