ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Attempt with PC...need some help

Williams 2
Finally got my pc yesterday, so I decided to give it a go on the bonnet tonight. First of all I use the SFX-2 Pad with Poorboys SSR 2.5, then a SFX-3 Pad with Poorboys 1. Thing is....the bonnet looks great now and it's nicely polished....but I can still c scratches in quite a few places. Would this be because I am not applying enough pressure during the SSR 2.5 Stage? Any help would be great. Cheers. Matt

106 GTi
How much pressure did you use?

To remove most scratches chances are you will need to step up to and use the Light Cut SFX 1 pad.

Chance are tou found the limitations of the PC on that sized pad aswell - The larger pads are also not that usefull for removing the isolated deeper marks, this is where you need the spot 4 inch pads to target those defects.

Williams 2
Well...i did'nt really use that much pressure first off all...but when I did a second pass with the SFX-2 Pad and Poorboys 2.5 I did it a bit harder. I use the 4" pad around the lights, bonnet bulge, edges etc.

So the next step to try would be to try a 4" med cut pad with the 2.5 pb on the suspect areas....or just use the 6" med cut pad with the 2.5 pb and go at it a bit harder?

Also...i decided to seals and wax the bonnet after polishing...would it be ok to give the pc'ing another go tomorrow night?
Matt

106 GTi
Another go with the SSR 2.5 will strip the sealant and wax.

If they are isolated defects, target them with the SSR 2.5 on a 4 inch Yellow Light Cut spot pad. If the overall finish is still not to your happyness, go over it with the 6 inch Yellow cutting pad.

Re the pressure, I bear down on the machine till the motor starts to bog, release a little pressure and that should by fine on the 6 inch pads. I don't use so much on the 4 inch ones.

Williams 2
Just out of interest...how do you clean the pads after use? Hand wash or machine cos theres no instructions? Matt

106 GTi
Soak in a bucket of water with fairy liquid - which reminds me, mine from Saturday are still soaking - oopps!

Williams 2
Had another go on the bonnet tonight...with the SFX-1 Pad and the 2.5 pb's...definately seemed to remove a lot more of the spider webbing and scratches...but there's still some there! I this this lacquer must be super tough....so I guess it may need some more persuation. It's still on it's original bonnet and paint, so thats not bad going. Any suggestions Rich as what to try next...cos I definatly use a lot more pressure on the pads tonight, even the 4"? Here are the b4 and after pics...not very good pics as it was getting dark...i'll get some better ones tomorrow. Matt
DSCN0993.jpg

DSCN1001.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

Williams 2
How many sets of passes did you do and what sized area are you working?
I split the bonnet into three sections...the middle budge and the two bit of the bonnet either side. I used the 6" SFX-1 pad on the bits either side of the budge and the 4" on the budge, edges and around the lights and front. I did 3 passes with pb's 2.5 on each section with a good bit of pressure, then finally went over with the pb's 1 on a single pass.

106 GTi
I would be tempted to split those sections into half that size and try a two more sets of passes in each one with a 4 inch pad and SSR 2.5.

can you over work the ssr range ? or is it a case that when it has broken down and gone translucent thats it ?

As i was doing a black 106 gti a while back and i was getting about 8 passes with a 4" yellow fsx pad

and i have to say although it was a great improvment it was not perfect by any means, i was thinking of changing to megs#80 and #83 ?

Williams 2
I know what u mean...it seemed as though sometimes the amount of time it takes for the polish to break down and powder seems to differ. Depends on the pressure you are using i suppose.

106 GTi
The SSR will just start to dust if worked long enough, you will get used to it and be able to stop before this. I would look at the Menzerna's rather the 83 IMO. Though in the meantinme, a few more passes of the 2.5 must work it.

Also how much polish are you using? There are so many variables in this it is really hard to advise by text.

A slow one :-(
One thing I noticed when using the SSR on my Clio was that I used too much polish and was doing my passes too quickly.

When I did my Aunties fiesta I worked on areas no bigger that 18" if not smaller. Once the pad was primed I used no more than 2 pea sized spots when moving from section to section. Still thought this might of been too much.

Ocassional spritz with a QD seemed to help as well... you can tell when SSR is broken down as it will start dust.

106 GTi
Good call on the speed of the passes eddie (arm speed not machine speed) - how fast you move the machine is very important. 1 inch per second is talkied about a fair bit. Keep the arm speeds low and the machine speeds up.

ok . thanks for all your help both.

rich the menzerna range ? what products should i look at ? and with what pad combo's.

i have herd the polishing pad mentioned quite a bit when using menzerna as the abrazives are more harsh ?

Williams 2
Generally I was putting a circles worth of polish on each pad when covering the areas mentioned above. I just think that I was not spending enough time on each area, whilst doing the passes.

Williams 2
Well...what can I say...i spent near enough all day today trying to pc the rest of the car, and used the 4" pad and 2.5pb's on every panel. Most of the came up fine...but I just could'nt seem to make any kind of impression on the roof at all :dapprove:. Really think that I need to try something more abrasive for the roof and bonnet. Would one of the menzerana ranges be worth a go now, cos i have a serious bird s**t stain on the roof that won't shift, and the poorboys 2.5 don't seem to do much, as well as in terms of scratches etc too. I'm still convined that it's because I still have the original paint/lacquer on the car which would tend to be more hardy than what most people are using there pc's on, with modern day water based paints....:(

106 GTi
The problem with roofs is down to there height it is hard to apply the same pressure as you can else where even if your tall.

You could look into Menzerna Intensive Polish as the next stage up.

Williams 2
Cheers Rich...which of these polishes would you recommend for older paint....

Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.01)

Intensive Polish (PO91L)

And which of the finishing products too? Most of them say they are for the newer type of scratch resistant paint.

Cheers, Matt

106 GTi
Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.01) is the one designed for newer Ceramiclear paints, which means it can be worked longer without drying up..

Intensive Polish (PO91L) is the origional formula and lacks the lubricating ingredients of the above so means it dries out quicker in some cases to quickly before the polish has broken down so can be a pain to use. This can be easily cured by a spritz of QD on the pad if it starts to dry up to quickly.

I use both and both will be fine on your car.

Williams 2
Thanks m8..might be easier for me to pay u to do mine...:rasp:Lol....can't get hold of he polish from anywhere at the mo. I don't live to far from u...:eek: