ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First attempt at rig shots

182 & Porsche 986
Had a go at taking some rig shots this evening, was running out of light and it was bloody freezing!
With help from ipodsandguns making a rig for us and using his dirty car.
4346923498_77241e2755.jpg

4346883912_38a759db12.jpg

Yes i'm aware the sky is blown out! I deffo need a longer sutter speed next time.
I was impressed by the first attempt going to need some more practise and maybe more colourful cars, better location needed but thats kinda hard with no traffic.
Any advice/critque welcome.. maybe.

182 & Porsche 986
Maybe try some more photos at the ladybower meet this month, if theres a empty location though is another thing.

Nimbus 197
awesome! I never noticed they were rig shots when I had a look on flickR, the squishiness distracted me. Would be interesting to see the setup - Shadowness style.

Oil Burner
They are nice shots, little bit of dust needs sorting and the wide angle stretch in the corners doesn't suit the shot. But all simple fixes. They look great other than that.

Think you can also see the rig reflecting in the 1st shot/photoshop on the window from it being removed. (barely noticeable)

182 & Porsche 986
They are nice shots, little bit of dust needs sorting and the wide angle stretch in the corners doesn't suit the shot. But all simple fixes. They look great other than that.

Think you can also see the rig reflecting in the 1st shot/photoshop on the window from it being removed. (barely noticeable)

Thanks, the second was photoshopped by me hence my skills are bad! but i need to learn.

Hopefully will be having another go soon probs not with the fisheye.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
seriously lol

bit gay that - some suckers or magnets plus poles and a camera attachment. why not show it?

how did you remove the rig, the back wheel and arch look very odd.

Well the theory behind rigs is indeed very simple as a few words as you have stated. Mind you when it comes to sourcing parts, the maths behind if the parts will work with the weights etc its some thing else. This was made completely from non-photographic equipment, so no simple pole with a monfrotto magic arm on the end etc.

The rig was removed in photoshop..

Not a clue what isnt sitting right with you and the rear wheel area.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I dont understand why you cant attach the rig to the car using one roofrack bar then PS it out? Surely it'd make a very sturdy mounting point.

I don't really get why people don't show their rigs, I can understand the amount of work (and money) that's gone into one, and I would know as I spent a lot of time (and money!) building mine.

But it's no secret, rig shots are old hat these days. It's not the rig you have, it's how you use it that makes the shot.

I could understand why the pro's won't show theirs, as it's their business, but for us amateurs I don't quite get it.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I dont understand why you cant attach the rig to the car using one roofrack bar then PS it out? Surely it'd make a very sturdy mounting point.
It would in deed be a brilliantly strong mounting point! but sadly shopping out could be a lot of work.
I don't really get why people don't show their rigs, I can understand the amount of work (and money) that's gone into one, and I would know as I spent a lot of time (and money!) building mine.

But it's no secret, rig shots are old hat these days. It's not the rig you have, it's how you use it that makes the shot.

I could understand why the pro's won't show theirs, as it's their business, but for us amateurs I don't quite get it.

I understand all points in your post, just as you understand the work thats been involved in ours. It will be displayed any even a how to guide on building such a rig for pocket money.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
nice shots, rig seems stable enough the only thing im not sure about is the distortion from the lens, makes the car looks like its been rear ended.

Dan i totally agree mate, rigs have been around for a while and they all work on the same basic principle of mounting a camera on an extended pole from a single vehicle. You can buy them ready made (as you well know from www.automotiverigs.com) so there design is not a secret. its how they are used in conjunction with the photograpers input on the camera and their post production skills which really makes an image.

for others that want ideas about rigs see this ubber long thread on POTN
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=490505&page=220

so you have tension wires etc on it to stop movement . never understood why people don't show the rig it's not the important bit of the shot. having seen quite a few rigs I doubt it's anything new from what's out there already

must be lens distortion that makes the rear wheel arch/wheel look funny.

Well the theory behind rigs is indeed very simple as a few words as you have stated. Mind you when it comes to sourcing parts, the maths behind if the parts will work with the weights etc its some thing else. This was made completely from non-photographic equipment, so no simple pole with a monfrotto magic arm on the end etc.

The rig was removed in photoshop..

Not a clue what isnt sitting right with you and the rear wheel area.

182 & Porsche 986
Yeah true. thing is the rig isn't long enough to use any other lens i own right now... thats something to work on. :)

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Mine was hardly a go go gadget arm, but this is what I bought to do some of my own...

n568980927_524541_3230.jpg

n568980927_524542_3530.jpg

And got some of the following images...

The Mondeo was my first car...

n568980927_524540_2937.jpg

n568980927_524534_1086.jpg

And in my old Clio...

n568980927_1891633_4609.jpg

Think it was about £70 from www.fastfilms.co.uk but they no longer sell it.

182 & Porsche 986
Thats pretty good, i'd still be scared to drive and leave the cam on the outside! i was cradling mine for life or death while the car was doing about 2mph lol.

The rig i used only cost about £20 to make, so its not bad for the results achieved.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Thats pretty good, i'd still be scared to drive and leave the cam on the outside! i was cradling mine for life or death while the car was doing about 2mph lol.

The rig i used only cost about £20 to make, so its not bad for the results achieved.

It cost more then that! over double that!

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna

lol, the pics I took were less than 30mph, you didn't need to go any faster.

EVERY bump I went over I was holding my breath, especially when it was mounted on the bonnet of the car, you could see it bounce, I think I skipped a couple of heart beats lol.

You only need to roll! Lol.

I let me mate roll and I stand with the strap wrapped around my wrist and hands under the camera! :eek: