ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finding a decent 172 cup

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
As a few of you may or may not know, I'll soon be in the market for a cup. It looks increasingly hard to find an example that matches my high standards (without sounding like a tit). I'm aware they're getting on a bit now so this probably is the case, but how hard do you think it's going to be for me to find a decent mileage one with full service history that near immaculate in and out?

I will be willing to pay the premium for the above!

To an extent it's simply pot luck regarding what is for sale when you look and where you live and/or are prepared to travel to. I only looked at one 172 cup when I bought my RS and it was absolutely mint inside and out, FSH, low-ish milage, refurbed wheels and even had the "1, 7, 2, c, u" and "p" on the B pillars (instead of the usual "12 cup" or "17 p" :p) but of course this does not mean they will all be like this.

If you're after one that's really been cared for you will probably have more luck buying private. Infact a really good place to find cared-for 172 cups would be a Clio owners club, say err this one :p £12 membership and you can see the ads section. There have been 6 for sale in the last month, some promising looking ones too.

Be patient and you will find the perfect car for you.

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
That one looks mint, as the right price too.

I had this problem when i was looking for mine mate, took me months to find one but they are out there.

Keep looking and good luck!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the great feedback.

Well I'm getting rid of the C2 in the next few months & can't wait to get a cup to be honest, the whole thing started because my sisters other half has one & it's been teasing me for years!

Got some pretty good but subtle idea's but want it to all be adding to the car not cheapening.

Thanks again

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've pretty much come to realise I may need to buy the cup before I get rid of the other car, if the right one comes up & just sit it on the drive.

Westy. MX5
The youngest 172 Cup will be at least 8 years old now, finding an immaculate one will be a long & hard slog around the country. Start by looking at the CS classified. Good luck on your quest.

PS. Don't rely on a dealer when they say their Clio is a Cup, some ads are wrong. To define a Cup have a look at the sticker in the drivers door shut, should have the 3 magic letters SLP.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The youngest 172 Cup will be at least 8 years old now, finding an immaculate one will be a long & hard slog around the country. Start by looking at the CS classified. Good luck on your quest.

PS. Don't rely on a dealer when they say their Clio is a Cup, some ads are wrong. To define a Cup have a look at the sticker in the drivers door shut, should have the 3 magic letters SLP.

They made them in '04, so 7 years old.

And OP, as you say, you really just need to buy it when it's there... it's rare for an immaculate one to come up. The one Adam.R posted is a beauty though!

Almost same boat as you, coming from a C2 Loeb. Very hard to get rid of tbh. Only looked at one 172 cup and it was mint, 44k miles, serviced every 6 months, belts done and 1 lady owner! Picking it up on Thursday hopefully, cant wait!!

Was quite shocked at how much quicker they are compared to the C2.

172 Cup
I struggled to find an example i was happy with, with the right mileage on but if you keep you eyes peeled and be patient, keep checking all the usual places eventually the right car will come up mate

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
There is some about. When i was on the look out last year i got the most standard example i could find. In the end i settled for one with low mileage/owners. However there were a few cosmetic issues (i'm uber fussy lol)

A few tweeks to the bodywork and wheels it ended up like this

038.jpg

022.jpg

049.jpg

047.jpg

had a love hate relationship with it (because i'd come from a 197 i missed the build/refinement) But when i sold it it looked so good driving off. Part of me thinks i should have kept it really.

:(

Fiesta ST
I searched for a few months for one to come up. I couldnt pick a fault at all with mine when viewing so bought it there and then, but as said you will probably pay slightly more than the average price

Mental 172 Cup
I decided I wanted a Cup, looked on autotrader, rang the first one that appealed to me. Went to see it. Knocked him down and drove it away 4days later.

For the year it's good milage and bar a couple of cosmetic issues it's a minter, gearbox is tight, clutch is nice and steering wheel is in immaculate condition.

Don't see what all the fuss is about ;)

Clio 172 & Pug 205
i looked at a couple over the last few months and when i went to view them they were right dogs, hammerd and abused ..... so i settled for a ph 2 172 sport with 2 lady owners from new with 67k, which i purchased over the weekend:)

Good Luck with the search

Adie.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
There is some about. When i was on the look out last year i got the most standard example i could find. In the end i settled for one with low mileage/owners. However there were a few cosmetic issues (i'm uber fussy lol)

A few tweeks to the bodywork and wheels it ended up like this

038.jpg

022.jpg

049.jpg

047.jpg

had a love hate relationship with it (because i'd come from a 197 i missed the build/refinement) But when i sold it it looked so good driving off. Part of me thinks i should have kept it really.

:(

That is unbelievable, never seen pics of it before! How many miles had it done? Engine bay looks as good as new.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice Cup mate! As above I'm very fussy, but then I used to run a body shop... worked my way up from being the Quality Controller LOL. Explains a lot. Thanks for all the great feedback I will keep my eyes pealed, they're lovely motors.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
That is unbelievable, never seen pics of it before! How many miles had it done? Engine bay looks as good as new.

60k fella

The new bullets, new wheel nuts (from demon tweeks) wheel refurb, and sprayed up calipers kept it fresh :)

Lol. Gave the engine a good degrease, pressure washed down (Watch the electrics lol). I then got some VHT. Whipped off the inlets, gave them a few coats, and whilst they were drying i and sprayed up the rocker cover. Came up a treat :)

535d / t5 caravelle
60k fella

The new bullets, new wheel nuts (from demon tweeks) wheel refurb, and sprayed up calipers kept it fresh :)

Lol. Gave the engine a good degrease, pressure washed down (Watch the electrics lol). I then got some VHT. Whipped off the inlets, gave them a few coats, and whilst they were drying i and sprayed up the rocker cover. Came up a treat :)

can you please stop posting pictures of my car ffs! ;) its just hit 62k, running spot on, had new rear brakes and a power steering switch, love it! would like more power but thats always the case eh, if you want to find a decent cup, forget the shitty cheasp ones out there and look at the ones at the higher end of the price range, off here if poss, like i did, this one had my name on it :) hows it going Kev? coilovers sold? or you fitting them now? lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ah so that slight leak was that switch, think every mk2 I've had weeps from there.

Lol! Think they are going on in the next few weeks................. Trouble is, they handle ace as stock, slightly reluctent as it rides nice to. Only got em as they were a bargain!! Still, might be nice to close that arch gap a wee bit ;)

535d / t5 caravelle
aye, drives a bit of a mess now, should have sorted it sooner tbh lol, get em fitted, can only improve things ;)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys,

I am looking at the top end of the price bracket, as I said I want a lot, but I'm confident I'll find what I'm after.

i got 1 bk in october from a dealers with 75k on full service history and belt recently done and i picked it up for 3195.. was perfecr when i got it but its got quite a few battle scarrs now.. just look about mate and enjoy when you finally find the 1

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
My plan is, to find a minter & Improve not devalue, Go down the OEM ish route, For instance I love the Recaro sportsters, They're deffo on my wish list. But the car will just be improved rather than changed if you catch my drift. I'm a big fan of chassis & brake improvements.

My plan is, to find a minter & Improve not devalue, Go down the OEM ish route, For instance I love the Recaro sportsters, They're deffo on my wish list. But the car will just be improved rather than changed if you catch my drift. I'm a big fan of chassis & brake improvements.

yeah mine was down 2 letting an EX gf have a drive of it where she ended up kerbing all 4 wheels and then i scraped the back bumper on the wall when i was pulling it on 2 my drive.. insurance took most of my money when i bought it so i didnt really have much spare cash about but im planning on rectifying the scrape and getting the wheels refurbed and some other things along the way this yr

Clio 172 cup
just be patient and the right one will come around then go for it. They are great cars i love them but mine will be up for sale soon. Had it 2 years now and its time for something new :)
57k with nearly FSH, missing 1 or 2 stamps. ;)

just be patient and the right one will come around then go for it. They are great cars i love them but mine will be up for sale soon. Had it 2 years now and its time for something new :)
57k with nearly FSH, missing 1 or 2 stamps. ;)

37k with FSH ;) id probably go as far as saying i have one of the few immaculate cups remaining

Clio 172 cup
37k with FSH ;) id probably go as far as saying i have one of the few immaculate cups remaining

haha mine had 45k on the clock when i first got it. Shes been treated like a princess lol.
As we all no though low milage means nothing if it hasnt been serviced and looked after well.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Advikaz, a good friend has a cup which has been owned by different memebers of his family since new. It is currently driven by his Dad but has to be the most well looked after example I've ever come across. I don't think I've ever seen it dirty and you almost feel yuo have to take your shoes off before you have to get in. It's also a pretty low miler, not sure on exact mileage though.

Anyway, I beleive it might be coming up for sale pretty soon, I'll give him a nudge and see when he is looking to sell.