ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Films onto Apple TV

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi Guys.

I had a jail broken Apple TV 2 with xbmc installed on there and i had it linked to my server so i could watch all the films i have on there. It worked pretty week even though the xbmc was a bit clunky.

Anyway, my ATV2 has decided to update tonight (first time in about 2 years) and when finished it had the iTunes logo displaying on it. Quick google says my ATV2 is in recovery and needs to be restored. So i had to plug it into iTunes and restore it.

Ive seen a few people online have all there downloaded content in the movies section which looks pretty cool. I was wondering if there is a way to do this ? I dont have a mac book so dont have iMovies if that matters.

All help is appreciated.

:)

SQ5
I imagine it was in the computers menu.

Open iTunes, sign in and turn on home sharing.

In iTunes, add folder/file to library, select folder where movies are.

On Apple TV go to computers, there you go

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I imagine it was in the computers menu.

Open iTunes, sign in and turn on home sharing.

In iTunes, add folder/file to library, select folder where movies are.

On Apple TV go to computers, there you go
Hi. Ive done what you said and it seems to work. Looks like im going to have to convert a lot of movies to a format ATV can use.

They are appearing in 'Home Videos' section which doesnt bother me but i was wondering when i drop a TV series in it just drops the individual episodes in and doesnt keep them in a file for easy storage. Is there a way to do this ?

On here (http://www.wikihow.com/Add-Movies-to-Apple-TV) it says you can drop them into the 'Movies' section but it never lets me do that on mine. :(

SQ5
Yea that's the only problem with the ATV and the format it uses. Any that you have ripped will appear as home video.

If you can get a copy of iHomeserver, that will make sure it shows as a film or TV show.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Yea that's the only problem with the ATV and the format it uses. Any that you have ripped will appear as home video.

If you can get a copy of iHomeserver, that will make sure it shows as a film or TV show.
Ill look into it now danny.

Edit: I didn't read thread properly, so this isn't really relevant for plsyig movies you own via iTunes etc..

Pick the latest dodgy movie app/site - choose film to watch, AirPlay to Apple TV from iPhone. Job jobbed.
I used to use XBMC, but it was full of broken links last time I used it (a while ago, although it's stil jailbroken) so I just use this method now, or netflix/Amazon prime.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Edit: I didn't read thread properly, so this isn't really relevant for plsyig movies you own via iTunes etc..

Pick the latest dodgy movie app/site - choose film to watch, AirPlay to Apple TV from iPhone. Job jobbed.
I used to use XBMC, but it was full of broken links last time I used it (a while ago, although it's stil jailbroken) so I just use this method now, or netflix/Amazon prime.
Ha, thanks.

I wasnt the biggest fan of xbmc like i said but it did what it said on the tin. I like the easiness of having all the films and tv in the apple folders just going to be a nightmare getting them in line.

I do use Netflix a lot though. If i get this sorted now at least when i get another ATV for downstairs it will all just sync access.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I made sure the file wasn't a read only file which a lot are, then when you drop it into iTunes it allows you to edit the category. Works well.

DCi
Can you AirPlay on atv2?

And I miss the word 'class'... Nobody says it down here :(
You just talk to the wrong people

Anyway came into this section looking for any new iPhone news but saw this thread

It's slightly complicated but you mentioned you have some kind of server - if you are willing to run Plex you can install plex connect on your server

That creates an interface for a non jail broken ATV to talk to plex via the trailers app - works really well once you get it going