ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fiesta ST project thread

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Well after having one or two threads with pics etc of the ST, I have decided to put a project thread together..(Well try to)

Well I bought the car on April 13th after shopping around I found one that I liked, FFSH, clean body work, interior etc…..

The car was only 8 miles from my home so, after going to see it and having a test drive. I decided to go ahead and put a deposit down on the car!

So two days later I went to pick it up after it had a service and MOT..

Pic from advert –

25005_1368398523590_1040501770_1089693_4305051_n.jpg

The car felt great over the next few days and the smile couldn’t be wiped from my face :D
But knowing my luck something had to go wrong and it did ….. The car started to feel a little under powered and wouldn’t start first time.

I decided to contact the dealer I bought it off and they got it booked in but it would mean me having to wait over a week!

Being my impatient self I couldn’t live with it not working correctly, so I got it booked in a Ford to have it checked over and also have the ECU updated as I had heard various problems regarding the ECU’s on the 06-07 cars due to the transition stage between facelift models.

It turned out that the car when having its 36000K service never had the plugs or fuel filter changed when it was suppose to, the service was carried out by Ford and was stamped…. So I argued out that I should not have to pay and ended up losing the argument, and paying £220

But that was all worth it on the way home when the car felt so much better than before, So I could now focus on getting the car how I wanted it.

So along cam Fiesta in the park, where I got myself some -35mm Eibach springs and a miltek Flexi pipe to replace the restrictive one that Ford fit to the car!

(At this stage I should of taken some pics of the parts)

This is how the car stood after treating her to a clean!

4621806091_ff17ecd93e_b.jpg

4621812283_b336e0b728_b.jpg

I then went and played around with Idea’s of getting my wheels refurbed of changing them for something different as they were in a pretty bad way.

I decided to go ahead with getting them refurbed in Gloss black so along come Pay day and I got them done by a local company for the sum of £200
I also painted the silver fog surround black to match the wheels and give it a bit more of a stealthy look!

4663225998_0483f010eb_b.jpg

I was now really starting to enjoy the car for what is was, the next step was to get the induction setup sorted!

I managed to sort out a piper induction kit for peanuts which I am currently in the process of building a heat shield for as they really suffer from heat soak… Anyway more on that later!

4772298190_715c8522b7_b.jpg

But as per normal it was all going to well…… :(, I drove up to the Northeast to visit my Family, It was a nice hot sunny day I thought nothing could wrong! Yea right….

Moved the car from one part of a car park to another when, I then returned 20 minutes later to find my coolant all over the floor!

One of the hoses had been tapping against the fan and it had cut in to it, I was kind of glad this had happened in a car park and not on the motorway! So Along came the AA and repaired it for me, I then went ahead and got a replacement hose from ford which cost £55 before I drove the 300 miles back home.

Next on the list was to get an exhaust fitted, After shopping around I didn’t fancy the usual 3.5 or 4 inch tail pipe miltek/piper/mongoose systems so I decided to take the risk and get longlife to build one!

I went for a 50mm outward rolled tip with a silencer where the centre box is instead of a back box, along with a decat. The drive home was so much fun, the car pop’d and banged like mad on the over run and was so raspy :D

4722058061_e4caa41ca1_b.jpg

But after only having the decat on 4 days it had to come off as it was far too loud for road use, so I am currently getting a silencer fitted to it if all goes well or a sports cat

I also painted upper/lower front grills on the car and the fog surrounds, satin black.

So last week I went for a bit of a photo whoring session:

4749741257_d367b61614_b.jpg

4750381798_fcf448c541_b.jpg

After trying to tell myself I wouldn’t spend any money on the car this month, I got offered a second hand Dream science tuner, for the bargain price £150 with 4 maps and 5 live left.

4771495111_9d63ee61cb_b.jpg

The maps included are the 182 puma speed map and a 190hi/lo map, I currently have the 182 map installed at the minute and it makes such a difference to how the car feels. The 190 maps are designed to run with cams so they are on my current shopping list.

It accelerates so much smoother and seems to piece all the mods together I just now need to get a stainless manifold and the car should be running roughly 180bhp with the decat on. (Once manifold is fitted I am going to get the car RR’d to confirm this)

Then next on my list it to get a smaller battery fitted so I can fit the heat shield to the car along with CAF’s

Cams, unsure of what ones, more than likely cosworth.

New seats and Steering wheel

Get track days booked :D

Big future mods include:

Fully Adjustable coilovers

16” Wheels

Brake upgrade

Throttle bodies or Supercharger

Thanks for reading and I will do my best to keep it up to date ish....

O yea and the says Hai!

4771496019_60fb33a131_b.jpg

Audi TT 3.2
looks great! will looks amazing though on coilovers!

are these pretty easy to get power out of?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yea fairly easy, supercharger with duratec inlet and cams see's about 300-330bhp!

But costs £3k

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Iirc the engine was deliberatley 'strangled' to keep the power down (low insurance gp etc), so quiet easy to get power with simple breathing mods and a map.

Looks very nice, simple but good mods.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Iirc the engine was deliberatley 'strangled' to keep the power down (low insurance gp etc), so quiet easy to get power with simple breathing mods and a map.

Looks very nice, simple but good mods.

Cheers!... Yea they restricted the engine the with exhaust system and flexi pipe, the miltek one takes the diameter from 35mm to about 50mm I think, Can't remeber the exact size.

My aim is 195ish with cams and 60mm throttle body upgrade :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cracking my friend keep us updated.

Cosworth cams are a must mate, no point at all skimping on cams.

Think there was someone on stoc that has recaros in her car, similar to the 197 ones, they were bang tidy!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Cracking my friend keep us updated.

Cosworth cams are a must mate, no point at all skimping on cams.

Think there was someone on stoc that has recaros in her car, similar to the 197 ones, they were bang tidy!

Cheers mate! They are indeed tidy, but I think they are around £1900 fitted lol I could be mistaken though :S

Wouldn't mind some FRP seats :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols, unless they are on ebay I doubt you'll get them.

Sold to FRP owners only. They are very nice tho.

£1900 fitted for cams! I thought they were £400/500 for just the cams!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
no the recaro seats are that price! lol...

Saw a ZS turbo on saturday with some in so I am going to find his house and steal them :D

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols!

You'll pick up sportsters cheaper than that mate! :)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Like that actually..Is that a plastic inlet? lol

Yup..... lol I was quite suprised when I got the car, that it was plastic but I think most modern cars come with them nowadays.

Its ok when I can find £500 quid spare I will replace it with the cosworth one just for you :rasp:

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Small update!!

Well ford fair cost me £275 beans and lunch on top, but well worth it. Got myself a new stainless milltek manifold from puma speed :D What a difference it has made to the car it now pulls from low revs all the way to the red line. I have also refitted my decat and the noise is fantastic. The overrun is also something else, I will get a vid later and get it posted. :D

I am hopefully getting the car RR'd in the following weeks to check the AFR and also power, with the current mods and mapping it should be producing roughly 182 bhp

Next on the list are coilovers, new seats and steering wheel :D

out with the old:

4898417069_4fd5b775fb_b.jpg

In with the new... I have no fitting pics as it was a pain in the arse to fit, due to it being in one peice unlike the old one.

4899018958_dc4f3fb07c_b.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Quick vid of how the car currently sounds, sorry about the poor quality need to invest in a hd video camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Mondeo TXS Bardge.
say hello to burnt toes, one of my techs has a 4 branch on his st and i considering taking it off as it make the footwells intolerably warm on long journeys even with the heatsheilds in place.lol

I dont know if its folklore or not but i heard that the st was supposed to be about 190 bhp at launch but it had loads of reliability issues and kept breaking things like drive shafts and gear boxes so ford took measures to restrict the power for sake of reliabilty.

Last edited:

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yup the footwells do get warm but it did with a standard manifold lol.... They restricted them for insurance reasons, I have had a few little ups and downs but no major issues with reliablity etc. I aint heard of them being restricted due to issues though. I know people running super charged ones as their everyday car with no issues :S But at the end of the day it is a ford...

TTRS & V50
Very nice, I have been spying at some of these, but won't settle for a pre facelift, but facelift costs a bit too much IMO.

Oh yeah, sack living with that exhaust, lol.

120d M Sport
Lols, unless they are on ebay I doubt you'll get them.

Sold to FRP owners only. They are very nice tho.

£1900 fitted for cams! I thought they were £400/500 for just the cams!

Nonsense!! Loads on ZSOC have FRP seats...Theres a set or two for sale on there now iirc! Also Pumabuild have a set for sale on ebay right now.

Looks great but same as Ali I'd prefer silver wheels on it

Titanium 182
That sounds very fruity!

Nonsense!! Loads on ZSOC have FRP seats...Theres a set or two for sale on there now iirc! Also Pumabuild have a set for sale on ebay right now.

Looks great but same as Ali I'd prefer silver wheels on it

New from Ford (not sure if they even have them anymore) you had to be an FRP owner to buy the FRP seats.

I managed to get mine second hand from an FRP which had died :( which number I can't remember, though.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
can I have a link to the ones on zsoc and ebay :D

Thanks for the coments guys, the exhaust is nice under 4k rpm but anything above it screams!

I am thinking of getting the wheels powder coated gunmetal at some point.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yup the footwells do get warm but it did with a standard manifold lol.... They restricted them for insurance reasons, I have had a few little ups and downs but no major issues with reliablity etc. I aint heard of them being restricted due to issues though. I know people running super charged ones as their everyday car with no issues :S But at the end of the day it is a ford...
De-restricted breathing mods open the car up to what it could have been, you're bang on about the insurance thing, that's why it's a 2.0 150bhp. Everybody knows Ford could have made a lot more out that engine.

Very nice, I have been spying at some of these, but won't settle for a pre facelift, but facelift costs a bit too much IMO.

Oh yeah, sack living with that exhaust, lol.
The facelift ones imo don't actually cost that much, I looked at them before I got the Puma.

It's fact, if you go to their website to buy racing puma parts you have to verify you own one.

can I have a link to the ones on zsoc and ebay :D

Thanks for the coments guys, the exhaust is nice under 4k rpm but anything above it screams!

I am thinking of getting the wheels powder coated gunmetal at some point.
They are awesome seats but not sure they would look right in a ST.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Cheers for the comments guys/gals! Gally , I think you might be right about the seats but I do have a blue dash so they might match lol

Anyways I have just picked up my new bonnet will have some pics up larer :D

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Right got the new bonnet fitted last night, took about 10 minutes and I am a happy chappy, It looks nice and subtle on the car only a slight colour difference but it does need a good polishing to remove a fair few of the scratches and make it shine. The standard bonnet was full of stone chips due to the lack of laquer on it due to a shoddy front end respray by the previous owner. I can't belive how light the new bonnet is, just need to get some clips for the washer hose.

Ignore fingerprints and crap pics due to point and shoot camera as I am to lazy to use the dslr.

Pics:
4910085224_29ca372f54_b.jpg

4910085472_dc0f2ff343_b.jpg

4909482621_6cc841a644_b.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Update:

Well the last 5 months have been interesting to say the least, the car performed well over summer giving me no issues and I enjoyed every minute of it. But as you will have already read this car does like to throw a spanner in the works.

After a long day at work in early september, I returned to my car sat in yet again another puddle of its coolant. I checked all obvious hoses but couldn't quite work out where it was leaking from, I managed to top it up and nurse it home. Once home I couldn't be bothered to look at it so I left it for a numbers of days untill the weather cheered up. At closer inspection I soon realised it was leaking from the thermostat housing.
This wasn't going to be fun it was in such a difficult place to reach basically sat underneath the inlet manifold. So after many swear works, I got the old one off and discovered that it was a 2mm split in the seal. I ordered the new part from ford and with much moaning at them got it cheap as I didn't belive in paying a fortune because of a crappy seal failing.

While waiting for the part the car looked sorry for it self sat on the drive -

60762_1529960802546_1040501770_1506231_3195027_n.jpg

Eventually a week later the part arrived, sh*t service on fords behalf. I got the car back up and running again, treated her to some new oil and tyres and she was a winner but for how long. I could now get back on track saving for cams and other bits I wanted.

After booking myself on a trackday for the 22nd November at Brands I wanted to find a decent bucket seat for the day as the ST seats aint great when you are going for it not to mention uncomfy. I picked up a Sparco Rev of a friend which I fitted making a custom subframe and it changed how I felt in the car, I felt comftable for once aswell as supported. I was now preparing for the performance ford trackday in November, but I had one more thing I wanted to do -
I wanted to get paint correction done on the car as it was full of swirls and scratches. A friend of mine stepped up and did a great job for peanuts, the results were fantastic.

5115239359_82d8a9fe88_z.jpg

The paint work looked fantastic giving a great shine, I was now ready to have a good day at Brands.

Unfortuantely as the day got closer the car developed more issues, this wasn't what I wanted. One of the rear shocks decided that it had enough and the car started to idle at 2000rpm. At this point I'd had enough. I sold on the tracktime to a friend and put the car on the drive untill I could be bothered to deal with it.

A week or so later I decided I would deal with the Fixed or repaired daily piece of Sh*t I called my car and give it one more chance. I got a secondhand shock and got that changed over, but trying to get to the bottom of the other issue would be eventful. After a few hours I discovered that it had to be the top Lambda sensor so after changing that the car decided it would work, but again for how long. I wasn't happy about sacking the trackday off because of a sensor and a shock but I still went along and got some pics and had a good day.

Well after all that, I finally had enough money to treat the car to some cosworth cams, so off to Jamsport I went last Thursday after waiting a whole day. to get them I finally got to drive it home a happy man. Its totally changed how the car feels, it now pulls through the entire rev range and is now how it should of been when ford built it. I didn't take any pics up a Jamsport but I was to interested in watching crap TV in the warmth. The car will be going back next year for a new map and 60mm throttle body, and then aiming for bilstein shocks and cosworth inlet for around summer time.

Well last night was eventful, after paying a quick visit to asda after spending the whole cleaning and waxing the car I come back to find someone has scuffed my rear drivers side arch and left no details. I guess this car either carries bad luck or I am cursed, It will be getting sorted in the year as christmas is abit more important.

fiesta+st+scratch%255D.jpg

Well hope that makes sense