ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fibreglass?

I have a little project that I might have a go at that involves a bit of DIY fibre glassing. I'm planning on making another engine cover for the clio. The finish doesn't have to be perfect as it will be covered, but it needs to be quite strong so I guess a few layers would be required.

I assume that a mould would need to be made and the item layed into it? Am I over simplifying this or is it possible to do?

Yeah you've got the basic process there. First you need to take a mould from your original, and then from your mould you can make the copy of the original cover.
My girlf's dad does fiberglassing as his job, and we're only in Norwich so quite close to you (if my memory serves me right you're around Diss) so if you need any advice or even want something done on it, let me know and i'll ask him for you

No problems, as i said, its my girlf's dad who's the expert. He works with the stuff daily so knows what he's doing.... personally I can't stand it, i just always end up making a mess! lol

shaun's covered the basics. There is a stronger matting that is lighter than 'normal' and is similar to carbon fibre. Can't remember the name though, but we used it for a team in the british superbikes championship