ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fibreglass Doors Help !!!!

Clio 220 PH2
Hi there,

I have just took delivery of my new CMComposites fibreglass doors and love them to pieces, really really light. i just thought before i start working on them to see if anyone else has fitted them to there cars ? did you have any troubles etc ? Also did anyone have to add fibreglass to toughen them up ? Add anything on the hinges to strengthen them you see what i am trying to get at haha. Also any pictures of the fitting will be amazing :)

Thanks all
Ben

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cmc doors are awesome mate! You'll not need to do anything to them other than get them prepped and painted.
I've not fitted any but I had a pair at one time, but I know a few lads that have them fitted to race cars. No fitting issues whatsoever.

Clio 220 PH2
Cmc doors are awesome mate! You'll not need to do anything to them other than get them prepped and painted.
I've not fitted any but I had a pair at one time, but I know a few lads that have them fitted to race cars. No fitting issues whatsoever.
Beautiful thats just what i wanted to hear haha because when they came i was looking at them and could see the panel moving and flexing but i guess once the poly windows go in they will soon stiffen up. Just need to drill the holes for the hinges and what not and get them mocked up and then in for paint :) I also didn't want to tighten bolts up and find them cracking the fibreglass before they got tight. You have made me one happy man haha

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Beautiful thats just what i wanted to hear haha because when they came i was looking at them and could see the panel moving and flexing but i guess once the poly windows go in they will soon stiffen up. Just need to drill the holes for the hinges and what not and get them mocked up and then in for paint :smile: I also didn't want to tighten bolts up and find them cracking the fibreglass before they got tight. You have made me one happy man haha
Just use large washers or a large plate to spread the load mate. That's all you'll have to do to stop any issues.

Clio 220 PH2
Just use large washers or a large plate to spread the load mate. That's all you'll have to do to stop any issues.
Thank you very much i will do that i would be gutted if i broke them. I can not get over how light they are i might just blow them shut when they are fitted to the car lol

clio 182
I had a bit of bother fitting mine, had to put a spacer between the door and the hinge one of them to get the gaps right, think it was the passenger side. Once I'd got it right I tiger sealed as well as bolting the hinge to the the doors.
Also had bother with the door catches, because the fiberglass is thicker then the original steel it had catch so couldn't get the second latch. Ended up trimming the fibreglass down a tad

Clio 220 PH2
I had a bit of bother fitting mine, had to put a spacer between the door and the hinge one of them to get the gaps right, think it was the passenger side. Once I'd got it right I tiger sealed as well as bolting the hinge to the the doors.
Also had bother with the door catches, because the fiberglass is thicker then the original steel it had catch so couldn't get the second latch. Ended up trimming the fibreglass down a tad
Thank you very much I will keep that in mind when I fit them I am hoping they are a nice easy fit with no problems. Also when you drilled the holes for the hinges were they pretty close to what they should be because I know they come with indents where you are meant to drill, are they pretty close ? I know you had to do some spacing and what not but it wasn't a million miles off ?
Thank you again