ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FIA master switch and push start wiring

ITB'd 172 POPTART
A bit of guidance as I understand where I'm going with this but auto electrics is slightly different to my component level understanding :) and not something I want to get wrong.

A diagram of my view

ed13688f.jpg

Would this work the starter circuit?

Im sure you'd need 1 relay as the starter also has a relay

Any ways you have done it would be great if different and then I'll post a new diagram in the guides section as I'm sure this is on a few people's minds

Thanks in advance

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I also would like to know the wiring for this as I have a standard on/off cut off switch connected to the + on the battery. This works fine if you only want the switch be used to prevent the car from being started, but if the engine is running then the alternetor generates enough power to keep the engine running even if the battery is disconnected.

I have now bought the same one as above but not to sure how to connect it up

ITB'd 172 POPTART
Namabuki - Sort of a little help but doesn't go into a clearer level if that makes sense.

Ourboy - Yes the bottom of the switch has 4 prongs and on my pic at the top those close when the main switch is opened allowing back EMF or back charge upon closure so it protects the alt :)

Im pretty sure my second diagram will work :) just need someone who has done it before to confirm this

ITB'd 172 POPTART
Makes sense now i think,

The momentary (i.e push start) has to goto the starter solenoid (massive relay) as if it was a live 12v constant then the starter would still be going as if you held they key in 3rd turn position.

And the Z part of the master switch is (coil) where a constant 12v supply is held from for accessories.

Ill draw up another :D

ITB'd 172 POPTART
6546b581.jpg

Me thinks

Tho im sure its safer to put an ignition relay there. Maybe wrong as the diagram says ignition live??

ITB'd 172 POPTART
Final attempt till I get some expert guidance.

The lower part with fuses and that is my take on wiring it to the Omex ecu ;)

408862ff.jpg

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
looks ok to me , think your right about the relay , i wouldn't feel safe running a push button without one.

where are you planning on mounting the switch and button? I have my switch down beside the bonnet release handle but am thinking of moving it to the gear stick surround to keep it closer to the drivers seat

ITB'd 172 POPTART
If you wanted you could have it in the footwell. If it's for extra security then a hidden spot is ideal but not ideal really if you like to blip the car jump in a turn ;) I have no Renault ecu what so ever so I am mounting it to the dash inline with an after market immobilizer system keyless entry.

Ic you have it where you are on about putting it then I can imagine it being a pain to lean over and plug it every time.

Have a sit in your car with the key and see where is easy for you but discrete?

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
when I''m connecting my cut off switch to the standard key switch any ideas on what wire to put where? sorry for hijack :p

ITB'd 172 POPTART
when I''m connecting my cut off switch to the standard key switch any ideas on what wire to put where? sorry for hijack :p

Battery wired to master.

The 3rd turn will be provided by the push start however you'll still need key.

I'd say still use a key otherwise immobiliser issues are a drama.

Disconnect or splice the 3rd turn wire (red id imagine) as in my new diagram to push start relay.

This will help
d37e4d56.jpg

This is how I'm
Doing my idea.
9bad85f0.jpg

Again any input from people who have done this :)

Doubt it tho but hey can only hope :)

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Ive got a kill switch with a push start but those pictures above seem like a foreign language :smile:

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Is it a FIA kill switch ? If so, don't suppose you have a wiring diagram ? Did you use a relay with the push start button ?

Yes its, an FIA kill switch, plus I have a switch for ignition, and the push start. The push start came as a kit, with a relay, so the wiring for it is pretty specific. And I don;t imagine too many people are using a switch for ignition as most people need the key for the immobiliser anyway

Yes its, an FIA kill switch, plus I have a switch for ignition, and the push start. The push start came as a kit, with a relay, so the wiring for it is pretty specific. And I don;t imagine too many people are using a switch for ignition as most people need the key for the immobiliser anyway
I'm planning on fitting an ignition switch and a fuel pump switch. I was just going to tape the key to the immobiliser ring :wink::up:

Clio 172 Merc ML55
You'll probably find it easier to wire up the kill switch, and get that working properly first, and then move onto a push button starter rather than confusing things by trying to wire it all up together

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
You'll probably find it easier to wire up the kill switch, and get that working properly first, and then move onto a push button starter rather than confusing things by trying to wire it all up together

Thats how I did it