ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FFS

mx5
Just spent £40 the best part of two days refurbing my wheels and doing bullets to match.
Had finished all the primer + colour layers and had it all nice and smooth.

Started doing the clearcoat layer and it looked a bit grey, but I just assumed it was a bit cloudy (last time i refurbed them, it started a bit cloudy then cleared as it got dry).

After doing a coat on all four wheels it stays like that and it turns out the can of "Clear Lacquer" that I just bought is full of grey primer. Im a numpty for not realising before spraying all the wheels, but still such a waste of time + money.

Really pissed off, but not sure what to do, cant afford to spend another £40 and start again as Ive just booked a holiday for a couple of weeks time and need money for that.

So f**king annoying!! :mad::mad: Really dont know what to do now and was well happy with how they were turning out.

SDC12252.jpg

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'd get your money back on that can for starters. You could try but don't think you could get any free paints though.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Go to halfords and make a big fuss, they might give you some free paint to shut you up, its their fault afterall.

I have made a fuss in halfords before and after about 45 minutes, 3 members of staff and a manager i got my own way :) (i was the worlds worst customer that day lol, was in a rare mood though)

Trophy Turbo :)
Oh dear, Ive never trusted Halford Cans, If i get a can i get my local paint shop too make me it up, Really sorry whats happened mate, take that back and ask you never know, Take some photos of the damage

mx5
Haha, ill probs get my mum to go, she loves complaining and getting free stuff lol.

Its such a ballache! Wanted to get them all on for the weekend!

s**tter that mate, wet sand back and try and re-coop the loss.

Also definitely put in a complaint, might get you some vouchers from halfruads.

Last edited:
  S4 Avant
Go and "clear laquer" the front desk at halfords.

or just explain that they've made a mistake, and wasted several cans of paint and 2 days of your time.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's bloody awful!!!

Kick up a fuss in halfords, very politely, explain it's just wasted x amount of cans of other stuff, if you have the recipt, even better, and try to get some new cans to start again, at least the prep is done (the hard bit).

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Actually, post up some pics. Colour could be full of win, like storm grey :rasp:

mx5
Storm grey has nothing on ford velvet purple!
But yeah ill head in tomorrow and try to get a couple of free cans or something.
Bad timess

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Ooh that annoying but you'll find it funny in a few days time!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear that is a facepalm, tell them exactly what is has ruined and try and recoup some of your loss.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
You sprayed all 4 wheels before realising that the clear laquer was actually grey primer? What a numpty.

Hyundai i40
Oh dear, but seriously id go back and kick off.

just say exactly what you've said on here, being a noob etc and they should replace it all FOC

im pretty sure that you can take it back and at the least get a refund on it. Afterall its a false sale, theyve sold you something that says its one thing but actually is something completely different. Make a big fuss about it, and who knows, they might throw in some free paint for you troubles

clio 182
lol, rather funny but thats just cos it didnt happen to me!

without doubt head back to halfrauds and kick up some serious fuss!!

good luck

mx5
Haha, the 4 wheels thing is because they are all right next to each other so just did a light spray over all of them at the same time, was a really thin layer so it wasnt obvious it was primer at first.
Off to halfords now so Ill update this when I get back, hopefully with good news lol

mx5
UPDATE

Just got back from halfords - Theyve replaced all the cans I bought the other day and given me £10 vouchers for my troubles.
They were really decent actually, didnt really have to kick up a fuss at all.

Ill get pics of all the purple bits up in a couple of days whens theyre finished

Stagecoach Ticket
hahahaha all round

at least its sorted though!!

home spraying is cheap but a mugs game unless ur set up for it :(

hope they come out good bud

mx5
Dont have any of them half primered, but theyre purple again now so I'll put some up when I get them on the car. Done the bullets to match too.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ooh Grey Lacquer :)

Glad its sorted mate, I worked part time for Halfords whilist at College and we where always reasonable when it came to things like this, I didn't think you would have a problem.

Lol. Have you ever sprayed something before? I can't belive you thought it was just 'a bit cloudy'

At least they've given you more stuff.

mx5
yeah I have sprayed stuff before lol. The way Ive written it makes it sound worse than it was, but I was painting in a dim garage and just did a light spray over all the wheels before having a closer look. Obviously looking back on it, it was pretty dumb, but at the time I wasnt expecting it at all so wasnt paying that much attention.

Honda & VW
what a sh*tter mate, but i did have to laugh at the fact you sprayed 4 wheels with grey primer before noticing it wasn't 'clear laquer'.

mx5
Lol, im sure theyd look w**k on a silver car?
Ive put some pics of the finished wheels in another thread - probs should have chucked them in here tho to be fair.
Havent come out as nicely as my last refurb, but theyll do for now.