ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FF Inferno 182

Thought I might as well give this a bit of an update, thought about selling it and going for a 225 but decided to keep it for now.

So as it was my birthday on tuesday I went on eBay and saw this 197 steering wheel for a decent price with airbag so snapped it up. It arrived mid morning and to my relief the airbag was still in one piece!

I'm thinking about selling my KTEC filter system and either putting the money toward a whiteline ARB or a pure motorsport solid top mounts and strut brace, I'm a bit undecided as of yet.

Anyway a photo of the new wheel...

14989248691_7ce7bdbc43.jpg

RenaultSport 197 Steering Wheel by Simon_89, on Flickr

14970878409_a129626a4a.jpg

2014-09-06 17.19.49 by Simon_89, on Flickr

Whiteline fitted, be interesting to see how this alters the handling at the next track day.

15154636331_72e1fba42f.jpg

20140906_164723 by Simon_89, on Flickr

Got the airbox swapped over, the one I received wasn't in the best shape, the top had a big crack in it etc. So I swapped the panel filter into my old airbox.

15134578386_667b6c5d51.jpg

20140906_171806 by Simon_89, on Flickr

Also have 4x Federal 595RSR's to fit to those 15" alloys I got earlier in the year. Just in time as a couple of my road tyres are getting a little on the low side. They've stood up well though, 2 track days and 20k miles.

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Looks good mate.
When you next in Northallerton, can come have a look at the clio now she is all track spec and ITB'd :D

jefinabox

ClioSport Club Member
Was good talking to you at Blyton Simon, do you have any more info on the removable harness? It really sounds like something I could do with. Ta

Yeah sure @jefinabox , http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/harnesses/sabelt-3-point-double-release-harness is the same harness as what I use. They are bolted into factory positions so you know they are suitable for the loads if the worst was to happen.

I did Blyton last week and to my pleasure my cheap alloy wheels didn't explode like some thought they would, first thing was to try and find a starting point for the tyre pressures. I'd read on here that you had to run them at quite a high pressure otherwise the sidewall could end up with excessive wear and fall to bits. Initially I had it at mid to high 30s and the car just wasn't happy and just seemed to bounce about everywhere.

After speaking to a friend with a 106, he recommended I try around 26psi cold in the tyres and take it from there with running a couple of PSI less in the rear tyres too. Needless to say I gave it a shot, first few laps were a bit wobbly but once the heat got into the tyres the difference was amazing. By the end of they day my tyres looked something like this

15682680495_409ec5206a.jpg
Federal RSR
by Simon_89, on Flickr

It was a great day and met a few people too off the forum.

Gave the car a much needed wash after last weekend, the wheels were filthy from brake dust and I even found a few bit of rubber stuck to the inside of the alloys too!

15063191423_f3b9096004.jpg
Dirty Alloys
by Simon_89, on Flickr

Whilst I had the alloys off for cleaning I was checking the tread to make sure there wasn't any damage and found a stone embedded into the tyre, I removed it and it had lodged itself in quite deep. There's also still signs of the tyre melting, I thought this would of warn away by now or when it was all coming off down the M180 and hitting my back bumper!

15062609994_1384b7f361.jpg
Stone in tyre
by Simon_89, on Flickr

15684136922_cdd1052d56.jpg
Grainy Tyre
by Simon_89, on Flickr

15062597604_aac17f5db7.jpg
Melted Tyre
by Simon_89, on Flickr

and finally one of the car cleaned, not bad for a daily track car that turned over 109k on track last week!

15063199623_ae8dae91a4.jpg
Clean Car
by Simon_89, on Flickr

Last edited:
So this weekend turned out to be quite an expensive one, an expense I shouldn't need to spend again any time soon hopefully. There was a rolling road day on at RS Tuning, thought I'd pop down and have a gander at what cars were down there. Earlier in the week I had emailed Tony Banks about a custom exhaust as I had tended to a broken handbrake cable the week prior and noticed it in a sorry state....

16495522118_87df7e2929_c.jpg
Cracked Exhaust
by Simon_89, on Flickr

16495711070_de2d614df7_c.jpg
Cracked Exhaust
by Simon_89, on Flickr

So I popped down to Tony Banks on Saturday and had a look at the tail pipe options they did; took a liking to a 2.5" outward rolled tail pipe. Turns out they had a free space in the morning and it turned into a 'take my money' moment :D

So this is the outcome, I asked for the trim to stick proud of the bumper and I'd say they've done a great job....

16063080423_600f98285e_c.jpg
2.5" Outward Rolled Exhaust
by Simon_89, on Flickr

They even ditched the rubbish Renault exhaust mounts in favour of their own custom ones which utilise standard exhaust rubbers which can be replaced.

Overall really happy with the look :D

20206310455_83488f386a_c.jpg
Inferno Orange 182
by feirny, on Flickr

Cracking shot of the car at Blyton for CSS by @Feirny :)

Happy with how the car was, performed faultlessly although I'm not sure if I'm a massive fan of the RSR's after messing about with tyre pressures all morning and still not finding a pressure where I could get more than 4 laps out of them without them just getting too hot. I do need to have my brakes bled now, there is a considerable amount of pedal travel 😅

Annual update alert!

Car passed its MOT, current mileage is just over 124,000. So for passing and partly due to needing them, I've treat the car to 4 Nankang NS2Rs!

If I get chance to have them fitted this weekend I'll update the thread with some photos of the car looking identical to photos above 😅

Well the tyres have just arrived at work, so they should be getting fitted in the morning. Currently rocking a couple of 14" steel wheels off a friends 1.2 Clio and with a whiteline set to hard on the rear it is definitely lively on the road!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Well the tyres have just arrived at work, so they should be getting fitted in the morning. Currently rocking a couple of 14" steel wheels off a friends 1.2 Clio and with a whiteline set to hard on the rear it is definitely lively on the road!

Where did you get the ns2rs? I'm waiting on a set coming for the Evo.

Who fitted them)

I went to union tyres, £10 a tyre fitted which seems reasonable.

What size and how much were they

They are 195/50/15 and were £51.70 each.

Went out for a friends engagement meal last night and it is definitely more noticeable that the sidewalls are a lot stiffer than the RSRs, the steering also feels more direct and accurate as well.