ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

few problems, running very lumpy and uneven

2003 Clio sport 172
when i accelerate when the car is cold the car is dead and then all of a sudden it shoots off, i have also had it where i have booted it from cold and the car has gone nowhere it just makes like a dead roar then it kicks in and works ok, also when cold the revs go up and down by a fair bit on there own.

When i first had the car about 3 months ago it was perfect, this problem has got worse n worse over the last 2 months.

Anyone have any ideas lol

1991 Honda crx VT
ragging the car from cold isn't the smartest move. Mine feels less responsive when it's cold but I just put it down to the engine not being upto temp and the fueling being different on the map, as soon as it heats up it's totally fine.

Ph2 172
I get this with mine too. Apparently v-power helps get rid of the lumpiness but haven't tired myself...can't bring myself to pay that much!

2003 Clio sport 172
its hard to explain on a forum what the car was doing, i never had the problem when i first had the car, over the last few months its got worse n worse, i very rearly rag the car if its hot or cold to be honest, when cold it was getting to the point where it was just spluttering when i accelerated, thats when i got fed up and just give it a boot from cold, it just didnt go anywere at all, kind of like the fuel wasnt getting through.

I have had the battery off for a few hours and now its perfect, back to how it was when i bought the car.

182FF Arctic
I've been getting the same thing ranging from cold starts or from aprox. an hour after turning the engine off.

Similar issue, upon attempting to accelerate - the revs seem to get stuck around 2200 and will all of a sudden surge forward towards the 3000 mark.

I have also noticed that i also tend to get popping from the exhaust when this is happening.

After 5 minutes or so it will tend to stop, however i still get times when i attempt to floor it when the engine is warm - the revs will drop before suddenly picking up again as if something is being blocked.

Any ideas?

Clio Sport 182
Is there a rev limiter or a fuel restriction on the 182 sport when the engine is below normal temp? The reason i mention is because mine is as described above, i have replaced plugs, leads, coilpack, tried different fuels etc, but have come to the conclusion its to do with the ecu map, temp monitor. The car is fine as soon as it gets to normal temp and runs fine with no issues at all. I havent tried disconnecting the ecu, but i know on some cars this can reset the learning curve on the ecu.

It seems to be too common????

daver1985

ClioSport Club Member
  172 + 555 scoob
I've been getting the same thing ranging from cold starts or from aprox. an hour after turning the engine off.

Similar issue, upon attempting to accelerate - the revs seem to get stuck around 2200 and will all of a sudden surge forward towards the 3000 mark.

I have also noticed that i also tend to get popping from the exhaust when this is happening.

After 5 minutes or so it will tend to stop, however i still get times when i attempt to floor it when the engine is warm - the revs will drop before suddenly picking up again as if something is being blocked.

Any ideas?

exactly the same as mine m8 no idea what it is tho????????

182FF Arctic
It seems to be too common????

Common enough for 4 of us to all have the same issue within a week of each other!

Yet no response from a member who has actually found a resolution to this... I'm dammed if i'll pay Renault to identify and fix the fault!

Clio Sport 182
Mine has always done it. I'd suggest disconnecting battery for 5 mins then reconnecting to see if it makes any difference. Only other thing i can think of is if there is a gap somewhere throwing the o2 readings out when eng is cold, but once up to temp, the gap is taken up with the the expansion. Problem with that is, mine runs fine as soon as it indicates normal running temp. I've had headgasket done too. No change. One other thing i've just thought of is power. I did change my alternator a while back and for some time afterwards the car was fine. Wonder if that indicates a voltage issue or the fact the battery had been disconnected for a couple hours while i changed alternator? I'd love to know what it is.

Clio Sport 182
I reckon it is just the automatic choke then. I didnt realise it had one, having fuel injection, but to be honest, i dont use the car much and dont have a great deal of interest in it.

182FF Arctic
The automatic choke sounds the most logical answer, with second place being a gap creating some airflow where there shouldn't be.

I had an OEM exhaust centre section fitted a few months back and my problems seemed to appear after that. I was contemplating buying an 'official' renault part from Ebay to see if that cured it.

Clio Sport 182
A word of warning, not sure if I just had bad luck or not, but I bought a coil pack off ebay, and it was crap! You know the saying, " buy cheap, buy twice" !

Anyway, off to have my k-tec super sport exhaust fitted today, hopefully, and some new tyres to test out, and maybe acoustic valve to remove!

350z, Subaru Legacy
There is a limiter when the engine is cold yes, though you really shouldn't be hitting it. You should give any car 15mins to warm up before it runs 'properly' tbh. In my experience Clio's idle all over the place when cold, they always settle down though.

Clio Sport 182
Fitted a new ktec exhaust this afternoon, car is undriveable until its normal temp, as if something changes at normal temp and fuelling corrects itself. I have no idea about clio throttle systems yet, but think it's def related to overfuelling. Time to look at the throttle body i think.