ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ferodo DS1.11 troubles

JJB

Clio 182FF + Audi Q5
Hi all. Does anyone have much experience with the DS1.11's? I put a set on my 182 and already had Brembo HC front discs fitted along with braided hoses and dot5.1 fluid. I got about 60 miles of road use (nothing too heavy but they squealed like hell!) I did one track day evening at Snetterton (4/5 laps then in for 10 mins -repeated for 2 hours). During my second track evening on them a week later they only lasted an hour (again 4 ish laps then in for 10 mins) at this point I had the nasty metal on metal sound and came in to find I had zero pad left on either side. Is this the life expectancy of these pads?? First time I've ran them but thought I'd get a bit more life from them. They were absolutely fantastic but does anyone know if they should last a bit better than that because it doesn't feel like £200 well spent?! On that subject what pads do people recommend? It's road legal but I pretty much only drive it to track and home again?
Cheers for any info and advice

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Never heard of it happening on those. Heard of it happening on the Carbone Lorraines on a number of occasions. DS1.11's should be perfect for your needs just as a track car really, shame that's happened. Usually happens because people run track pads on the road which have no weather protection etc so they fall apart like yours did after a while.

JJB

Clio 182FF + Audi Q5
Thanks, I had Mintex 1144's previously but suffered serious brake fade issue, hence the "upgrade". Are the 1155's much of an improvement on the 1144's?
Didn't realise weather could have much bearing on race pads. It's a shame they lasted for so little, couldn't fault them before today but don't fancy shelling out on them again now. It absolutely lashed it down all the way to snetterton this afternoon but was totally dry once I got there. You think the very wet conditions might have played its part? The only other thing I'm not sure of is I cleaned my wheels with alloy wheel cleaner at the weekend, I was pretty carefull to try to not get any around the pad etc though. Does wheel cleaner kill them?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, I had Mintex 1144's previously but suffered serious brake fade issue, hence the "upgrade". Are the 1155's much of an improvement on the 1144's?
Didn't realise weather could have much bearing on race pads. It's a shame they lasted for so little, couldn't fault them before today but don't fancy shelling out on them again now. It absolutely lashed it down all the way to snetterton this afternoon but was totally dry once I got there. You think the very wet conditions might have played its part? The only other thing I'm not sure of is I cleaned my wheels with alloy wheel cleaner at the weekend, I was pretty carefull to try to not get any around the pad etc though. Does wheel cleaner kill them?
Yeah potentially that could have done it maybe, in combo with the heat etc. I'm no expert on it really.

Maybe @George@RTR_Parts could advise on what causes it?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
As per your PM James I think you have issues with your calipers I'm afraid mate . The DS1.11 are one of better wearing pads available

Also most uprated pads for the front of the Clio 172/182 must have vertical play when cold , to allow room to expand when hot , some may need filing to allow for this. If they need tapping in when cold as they're too tight, take them out and file them :up:

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
As said there must be a problem somewhere. I have the same pads in mine and have done 3 trackdays now and driven too and from and they aren't even half worn...

ive been using ds3000 on the track 182, heard they are equivalent to 1.11 but don't last as long, i have done at least 4 hard track days + a ring trip and they still have plenty of life left, never had a issue, the squeal a little, but never had any fade laps after lap, the r888r's go off before the brakes will

JJB

Clio 182FF + Audi Q5
That's good to know, thanks for all the info. It looks like I must have a calliper issue but once it's sorted I'll likely try the ds1.11 again. If I could get 5 or 6 full track days out of a set it's not too bad.....3 hours on the other hand will work out a little expensive. Don't fancy going through 2 sets in a day

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
RC6's are great for track, although embarrassing driving the car to and from track as they are properly loud so I often find myself pulling up the handbrake in slow moving traffic.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Yeh I wouldnt use RC6's on a daily, fairly retarded, RC5's are fine tbh but I would say the RC6's are more comparable to the DS1.11's.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I fitted a set of standard Brembo pads to my 182 about a year ago, I've now done 10k miles on them. That includes a full day (2 full tanks of fuel) at donington park doing up to 4-6 laps followed by a cooling down lap, before going again. I stopped out for almost an hour at the end of the session. Only noticed a tiny bit of brake fade a couple of times at the end of longer periods of laps earlier in the day. My biggest issue was the paint on my wheels melting from the heat.

The DS1.11 are suppose to be one of the best pads available, so it sounds like you may have a caliper issue or installation problem. Failing that a bad batch maybe?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I use rc8's, very good pad imo although I've not tried ds1.11 though so can't compare back to back. Yes they squeal like a pig at times but I don't use my car on the road so I've never found it an issue really