ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fault Self Diagnosis - Confirmation?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Bojour!

I've had a limp mode issue plague my 182 for a while now, and despite having it plugged into clip it's still stumped many. I think i've worked out whats up with it so just wanted to check the symptoms matched the fault.

Symptoms:

1) Car goes into limp mode
2) Car comes out of limp mode when ignition is turned on and off.
3) Above two stages are repeated sevrel times.
4) Emissions light illuminates
5) Car stops going into limp mode.
6) Emissions light goes off.
7) Start at the top again.

Difference now is that the emissions light never goes off, despite the car having a cat converter fitted. emissions light is constantly on, and I get limp mode mainly when cold. It also idles extremely shite when it's cold.

Could a faulty upper precat lambda sensor cause all of the above?

Any way I can check?

Thanks in advance :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
web diagnosis FTW

To be fair it's also been plugged into clip but even then the fault wasn't 100% clear. :(

I've changed the throttle body and the throttle pedal and changing those two haven't fixed it.

Listerine & Poledo
damn, sounds pretty annoying then.

The lambda sensor does sound like a possible culprit, but that's only going from my time reading all the various similar-sounding threads. How much is a ssensor though, is it worth trying it anyway?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
OEM Sensors are around £130 last time I checked parts online but you can get bosch lambda's from GSF for around £40-50 pounds I think.

So not mega money but I could do with not wasting it.

BMW M135i
What did clip say? Lambdas don't tend to put them into limp mode. Just run rough as a badgers backside.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
What did clip say? Lambdas don't tend to put them into limp mode. Just run rough as a badgers backside.

Clio1821.gif

Clio1822.gif

Clio1823.gif

Clio1824.gif

All the above point towards a TB/Throttle pedal but i've changed both :(

BMW M135i
No they don't. It points to a fault on the throttle control circuit but the only components aren't the body and the pedal. Has the wiring been checked throughly. The trouble with most mechanics is they are very good and quick to jump to changing components rather than actually putting some time in fault finding the problem.

1st Definition is inconsistency between the 2 tracks as i'm sure you've already been told. Weird thing its its reporting it for both the signal from the pedal and the readback from the body, were they replaced with new components? Has anyone actually measured the resistances of the 2 parts to check they're in spec?

I'd offer my services but you're a good way away.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
No they don't. It points to a fault on the throttle control circuit but the only components aren't the body and the pedal. Has the wiring been checked throughly. The trouble with most mechanics is they are very good and quick to jump to changing components rather than actually putting some time in fault finding the problem.

1st Definition is inconsistency between the 2 tracks as i'm sure you've already been told. Weird thing its its reporting it for both the signal from the pedal and the readback from the body, were they replaced with new components? Has anyone actually measured the resistances of the 2 parts to check they're in spec?

I'd offer my services but you're a good way away.

You're near the M69 by the looks of it? I go that way when commuting to and from the South back home, so it would be workable if you wouldn't mind taking a look. If it's workable you taking a look, do you have a clip or shall I borrow one?

172ph2
I know you've seen my thread before (you've posted in it ;)), NorthLoopCup has provided a new idea that might give something else to try....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ome-3k-rev-possible-fix&p=7949222#post7949222

I'm not sure how much I trust the diagnostics, 1 faulty sensor appears that it can trip others, especially if there's a chaffed wire somewhere and something is shorting.

If anyone has some free time it might be worth trying to collate all the info about LHM into 1 doc/thread.

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I've lost hope with it myself, i'm going to take it to Ben this Sunday so should hopefully get it sorted.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Your's still doing it regularly? The more often its doing it the better for pinpointing the problem.

Yes mate, at least once a journey and 99% of the time it's when the engine is cold (i.e first thing in a morning).

I also went over quite a sharp bump last night that made the car jolt and that brough it on too.

It idles like a pig when it's cold but I think thats normal

53 Clio's & counting
^^ Ben will find it :) if it's any help I would have suggested loom damage - Mk5 Golfs can suffer something along the same lines

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The Lambda sensors can be changed round Luke but ideally id just change the down stream one as the one plugged into the cat doesnt ​really do anything.

BMW M135i
Had a good check over last weekend, don't think its a throttle issue to be honest everything was within spec on that front. Several logged fault codes that would put the in limp mode but because they've never been cleared out to see which ones they actually are couldn't be certain. So cleared the logs to see what comes back.

As far as I know it hasn't gone into limp again yet so may have been something as silly as a bad connection and disturbing everything to test may have solved it.

182 FF, A6 Avant
I had it go in to limp mode loads yesterday on track, was hugely annoying. It will be fine once the ignition has been turned off and back on though.

Had it suggested in an another thread that the fuel pump may be on it's way out. This fits with the times that the problem occurs I.e. Under hard acceleration and load. It doesn't happen at all in "normal" driving situations.

182 FF, A6 Avant
I'd bought a cheap U480 reader, but it doesn't seem to work (get what you pay for!!)

I have two scenarios:
- Car goes into limp mode (3krpm limit) the "heartbeat monitor" light comes on. No faults show on the U480 and no other lights, restarting ignition clears all problems.
- Car goes into limp mode, heartbeat light and the emissions (bottom right of speedo) light comes on. U480 shows a fault, but cannot display what it is ("NA 01/01") If I clear the fault everything carries on OK until it happens again.

Playing around with the Pedal position sensor connector seems to have an effect on the frequency of the problem. Took it off, reconnected it, problem happened loads. Took it off again, checked wiring (which seemed OK) and then gaffer taped it in place... it only happend twice for the rest of the day!

I was going to have a ring around today to get some more ideas (Fred and Mark Fish.) Planning to clean both Lambda sensors and the TB at the weekend. Will also check the cam sensor below the airbox.

BMW M135i
Don't stab in the dark its a waste of time, get it to someone who can properly read the faults even if they can't interpret them.

182 FF, A6 Avant
IMO, first port of call is to replace the throttle body (cured my problem) get one out of the classifieds on here for 30-40.

LY 182
Looking at that list of faults, I'd be suspecting a supply voltage fault to those components.. First check would be get on a wiring diagram and see where the I'd imagine 5v feed comes from and try to figure out if loosing it would be a possibility. It won't be lambda. Those who said it sounds like a lambda care to explain why? This forum must cost people as much as it saves people throwing random parts at there cars!