ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faster Acceleration

Q

Qube

Hi Guys,

As recently mentioned, I want to make my 197 much faster. It's currently standard, but I've been informed that the particular upgrades that I had in mind are more for top end...

Therefore, I was wondering - what can I do / install to improve my 197's 0-60 / 0-100 time?

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Hi Guys,

As recently mentioned, I want to make my 197 much faster. It's currently standard, but I've been informed that the particular upgrades that I had in mind are more for top end...

Therefore, I was wondering - what can I do / install to improve my 197's 0-60 / 0-100 time?

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Rs tuner map and make it lighter

Throttle bodies or boost. Anything else will just make it noisier and maybe drive a bit better.

Although I hear cams can give them reasonably big gains.

Basically it's not going to be cheap.

Listerine & Poledo
remove entire interior.
add boost.

that's the only way you can hope to be MUCH faster in a 197.

alternative? Buy a different car, maybe a Megane R.S.

Q

Qube

Cheers for the replies, all. :)

What's "Boost"...?

Any ways of lightening it without compromising appearence? IE. Drilling holes undernearth interiour lining?

Also - are racing seats lighter than the standard seats?

I heard cams provide big gains too, but recently I've been told they're at top end?

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
roffle

if you get a 4" hole saw, you can take out most of the metal under the carpets - dont worry, you wont see it

Listerine & Poledo
boost = turbo / supercharger.
as for lightening whilst retaining everything, not really no.
Short of some sort of darbon bucket seats, you're not going to shave much off the weight ofd your seats.
Cams wont give much, in fact, all the usual stuff wont make the night-and-day difference you're after.

182 Cup
Short of some sort of darbon bucket seats, you're not going to shave much off the weight ofd your seats.

I disagree with that, changing the front seats for buckets could save you a fair bit of weight. A decent bucket seat weighs around 6-7kg, a standard seat weighs over 20kg iirc.

Not practical though - you lose airbags if they're fitted and access to the rear seats.

Q

Qube

Basically its going to cost you from 2 grand upwards.
2k on what?? :|

Are Cobra seats any good? Seen them a lot and they're quite reasonably priced compared to others. Or is there a particular brand people recommend?

I am dissapointed there are no engine tweaks to be make in order to get a noticable difference.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bucket seats are much lighter than standard recliners, comes down to what you want really, you're not going to transform the car's speed without adding a turbo or supercharger, I'd buy a different car if it's not quick enough for you.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
I am dissapointed there are no engine tweaks to be make in order to get a noticable difference.

you bought a tuned car and thought it would be easy/cheap to tune more? do you not thinkn Reno might have already done some tuning?

Lotus Elise
I am dissapointed there are no engine tweaks to be make in order to get a noticable difference

This is what annoys me about this forum. Your car has a 2 liter engine and around about 200 bhp (I know they aren't in reality due to loads of factors, chill out) With an NA engine (e.g not boosted) it is rather hard to get more then 100bhp/liter of displacement. Its only highly tuned exotic cars that run more then 100bhp/liter Porsche GT3 for example, if you want NOTICEABLY better acceleration you have 3 options, ITB and cams, Boost or throwing it off a cliff. Enjoy it for what it is.

People on here complain about how poor the F4R engine is because it cant be tuned blud but in reality these people are just ignorant to the princibles of engineering

Not all of this post is aimed at the OP.

Rant over.

Last edited:
  Audi A4 1.8T Sport
This is what annoys me about this forum. Your car has a 2 liter engine and around about 200 bhp (I know they aren't in reality due to loads of factors, chill out) With an NA engine (e.g not boosted) it is rather hard to get more then 100bhp/liter of displacement. Its only highly tuned exotic cars that run more then 100bhp/liter Porsche GT3 for example, if you want NOTICEABLY better acceleration you have 3 options, ITB and cams, Boost or throwing it off a cliff. Enjoy it for what it is.

Peopl on here complain about how poor the F4R engine is because it cant be tuned blud but in reality these people are just ignorant to the princibles of engineering

Rant over.

exactly.

apart from the not aimed at OP bit

I can't believe no one else can see this is trolling. PMSL at drilling holes in the headlining for weight reduction.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
I agree with Sam@BTM, why would you want to push for more power in an already highly tuned engine!?!?!? Be content with what you've got. Of course, if you get more aggressive cams, bigger injectors, a sequential box etc etc and turn it into what is basically a cup racer, then it'll be quicker, but it'll be a lot less adaptable on the road. And by that time, you might as well actually buy a cup racer!

There is very little on the road that will out handle a CS round the twisties and the ones that do, cost an absolute fortune more. So, if you want more performance, sell up, get a huge loan and buy a McLaren, Nissan GT-R or such like. The 197 is an awesome bit of kit, don't go ruining it!

Q

Qube

Thanks for the helpful replies guys.

As for the others... Of course I knew it was tuned, I just wanted a little extra. I didn't just go down to Renault and expect a 1.2 with an RS badge. I knew it was quick - I just want a little more.

Price is no issue for me - I just want to be able to justify it. For example, I don't want to spend 2k on getting an extra 4bhp. I was just saying I was surprised that there weren't a few easier mods around.

Also - with everyone saying "buy a faster car"... Y U SO NEGATIVE?... I've seen it on so many posts here. Perhaps I want my shoe sized car to be even faster? I've litterally just bought this 197... Do you think I would have not bought a faster car, if I could have??

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
if op is serious... cams, akraprovic, map and filter... iirc someone did this and saw 210bhp.

if you have a big pocket, boost it! theres a lyf1 on here thats supercharged running silly bhp

if op is a troll... FU

megane 285 sport
I done exhaust/sports cat, panel filter, matched inlets, silicon hoses improved cold air feed like ducting to second inlet/ removing the box behind the grill and mapped it gained about 8 bhp at a cost of about £ 1500, was it worth it, to me yes, just drive nicer

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Decrease mass, (the car and yourself, depending on your size!) better traction, and finally more power, which as mentioned, is expensive.

Did you drive it before you bought it ?! How did you think a car with an alleged 197PS weighing 1,240kgs before driver would be like to drive ? That's <160PS/ton.

These are not fast cars. In the grand scheme of things, they are rather slow. Most diesel 4-pots will keep up (or drive straight past!) in a straight line. They are about the cornering, about taking the B-roads home and getting there with a smile on your face !

If you want to throw buckets of cash at it, you can make it quick by turboing it for instance, but it'll still be held back by FWD in a chassis designed for ~200PS, not 3/4/500.

Just enjoy it for what it is, as you mentioned you've only had it 5 minutes... if you get bored of it, and can justify the cash, upgrade the engine - if not, sell it and buy something faster.

Q

Qube

Cheers VXR.

mugglesquop - And I have to justify the way I spend my money to you, because?... Get over yourself.

ClioSport 172 Cup
You have compromises here. Keep the inside of the car and spend big money tuning it. If you just want cheap speed you need to strip it.

Last edited:
As I said in your other thread, if you are serious about increasing engine performance, speak to Matt at Tour-de-Force.

People on here complain about how poor the F4R engine is because it cant be tuned blud but in reality these people are just ignorant to the princibles of engineering

Rant over.

Sam couldnt agree more mate, seen so many times where the Clios are compared to Fiesta STs and people say how much better the ford lump is because its easy to tune, its not, its just down on power to start with!

DB.

BMW 440i
A) Chuck thousands at it, when in reality, you could just chuck the extra cash at buying a better car.

B) Just enjoy it for what it is, rather than wasting money. You don't seem that clued up, so wouldn't use it to the full potential anyway.

DB.

BMW 440i
Also, if you do chuck thousands at it to tune it, it just becomes a noisier more irritating day to day car.

Q

Qube

Cheers TheEvilGiraffe, great reply. I did drive it before I bought it - nearly got a 200 Gordini... But IMHO, I didn't really feel the price difference in power.

I really want more power out of it, not because I am bored of it, but because I want people to think "WTF is in that?!" at particular events. I like the idea of the "shock factor" to this thing...