ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO with an aftermarket steering wheel fitted

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a search but can't find any conclusive answer to the problem I'm facing.

Yesterday my car failed its mot due to the abs/traction control light being on, I was told by the garage this is due to me having an aftermarket steering wheel fitted. One of the faults that came up was the steering angle sensor which I may have damaged removing the standard wheel and fitting the new one so I will be replacing that.

My 182 has its interior stripped and has bucket seats and harnesses. I've removed the wiring for the standard seat airbags and seat belt pretentionors also.

Has anyone faced issues like this at mot time? What have you done to resolve this?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nope, I only have my airbag light & SERV lights on with all the same stuff removed which wasnt even mentioned at my MOT.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Well I never had any steering wheel controls on my standard wheel but I doubt this would effect it tbh.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
Progress ha kinda, I just took my steering wheel off again and checked the wiring. Took the angle sensor off, set it up as the guide on this forum suggests, refitted it, turned the car on abs light went on then off as its supposed to.

But when I started to reverse off the drive the abs light came back on so I stopped, then the light went off again so I started to reverse again and the abs light came on again.

Could this mean there is a problem with one of the abs sensors on the brakes?

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
The abs light still comes on, it comes on then goes off as its supposed to when you start the car but as soon as you start to drive it comes back on. Sometimes it will stay on longer but most the time it just comes on when you to drive.

Anyone any suggestions?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I heard something about this sebsor aswell mate, when i put my aftermarket wheel on it was simple, i dont see
how
anythingcould be broke during replacing the wheel? What and wer is the senaor at?
Do u have ur horn wired up for the mot aswell?

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
I heard something about this sebsor aswell mate, when i put my aftermarket wheel on it was simple, i dont see
how
anythingcould be broke during replacing the wheel? What and wer is the senaor at?
Do u have ur horn wired up for the mot aswell?

The sensor is clipped in behind the aftermarket hub. I might try replacing the sensor to see if that helps at all.

I've fitted the indicator stalk off a 172 as it is a direct fit with the horn button at the end of the stalk.

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
I had exactly the same problem when I fitted a different wheel to my 182.

I took it to Rentech in Portsmouth who said I needed a new steering angle sensor as I had moved it when fitting the new wheel which makes the lights come on as moving it has confused it. I don't think it is that much work to fit the new sensor but they are expensive, looking at £100 + just for the sensor.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Did you make sure the ring was centred before fitting the wheel, this causes similar issues.

Didn't know you could fail an MOT on abs lights since you could just remove the bulb :S

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Did you make sure the ring was centred before fitting the wheel, this causes similar issues.

Didn't know you could fail an MOT on abs lights since you could just remove the bulb :S

Thats what i have done, MOT was on a wednesday, so tuesday night i removed the smd/bulb and passed the next day :) i knew the light was "on" but they didnt as it didnt come up. + they dont test the abs,

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member

I didn't realise it needs to be centred as it appears there is only one position for it to go in as it clips in.

Yeah I was told the abs light must funtion, as in "go on when you start the car then go off.

I'm not sure what to try now, I don't really want to pay £100 + for a new sensor then find out its something else.

What else can make the abs light go on? Faulty sensors on the wheels? Low brake fluid?

Thanks for eveyones comments so far.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
Find a garage with the renault software clip, they can then reset the sensor.

I take it the sensor needs to be reset if it has been removed if not the abs light will keep coming on? Then if it does come on again it would mean there is a problem elsewhere?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I think i know what you mean now, the ring that spins around, mine moved a bit when fitting my wheel but made sure when i put the wheel on this ring was were it was to start with, im sure its
got a arow on it,
can u not try and take the wheel off and move the ring so the arows at the top then put the wheel back on

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
I think i know what you mean now, the ring that spins around, mine moved a bit when fitting my wheel but made sure when i put the wheel on this ring was were it was to start with, im sure its
got a arow on it,
can u not try and take the wheel off and move the ring so the arows at the top then put the wheel back on

I'll have a look at this tonight, cheers.