ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO those gone from 172 to 182 opinions!

Well as you probably know were changing our 172. Was looking at getting a Golf 1.8T GTI but the stealer has sold the one we were looking at.

Not a problem thou as theres plenty more, however the mrs has been given the chance to get a horse for free but the livery is about £200 per month so we wouldnt be able to afford a £15k loan as well.

So i started looking on Autotrader again and came across this.

What do you think??

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1097142326__182media.jpg

2004 RENAULT CLIO 2.0 16V Renaultsport 182 3dr Hatchback
UK Car, June 04, 1 owner, cup suspension & spoiler packs, showroom condition, first to see will buy!!!. 4650 miles. £10995.

Anyones on here??

What are the 182s like??
Whats the build quality like compared to the Mk1 172?
Plus side is hopefully my coilovers/Viper I/K and Super Ls will fit straight on :D

So the big question is, Should we just get the £3k loan and by a 182??

Any info much apprecited from you 182 owners

Smokey

[Edited by Smokey on 07 October 2004 at 10:44am]

Clio 200 Cup packed

golf gti, urgh, big heavy no life lump!

get the 182, ya wont regret it...

many people complain about the build quality, but mines just fine.

take it out for a decent test drive and see what ya think, cant hurt.

Lee

BMW M2C

I changed from a 172 to 182 with Cup Pack. The main reason was I got a f*****g mahoosive discount on the 182. :D

But I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it is than my 172. It delivers its power smoother and from lower revs and certainly pulls harder. It corners a hell of a lot better and body roll is reduced.

It has pretty much all the same faults, rattles and knocks as my 172 had and has been back to the dealers 3 or 4 times for warranty stuff.

It had dam good thrashing at Spa and is still running as well as it did when I got it. Ive done 6.5k in 3 months!

It draws more attention than my 172 did, even though that had a louder exhaust!

Go have a go in one, see what you think. For the money theres nothing else like it.

Lee

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 07 October 2004

golf gti, urgh, big heavy no life lump!

get the 182, ya wont regret it...

many people complain about the build quality, but mines just fine.

take it out for a decent test drive and see what ya think, cant hurt.

HAHA what you on about mate, its a 1.8 Turbo GTi Anniversary 180bhp as standard, £400 Revo and its running 240 ish BHP (no life eh.......)

Cheers Lee, yeah i have seen ya Spa Vids;) I really want that lower down power like the Willy as the 172 has Valver syndrome.

The only reason i was thinking bout Golf was cause of the build quality, oh and that Turbo.

Im just a bit dubious as to why he is selling it so soon.

Its just a bit far to go just to test drive it thou, hes almost 200 miles away.

Anyone with a 182 local to St-Ives/Cambridge wanna take me out for a blast in theres? And maybe have a blast against the 172 to see how they compare.

Smokey

Lee

BMW M2C

Id not be too worried about why hes selling it so soon. Surely you have seen the number of people on here who buy a car without even checking it meets their needs!! More money than sense some people. LOL

Abarth 595 Trufeo

I pick up the 182 with cup bits in 2 weeks - so I cant really help that much but as a previous mk1 owner, got a mk2 172 now and we own a 172 cup I hope that I can give you my honest opinion.

I do feel that Renault have learnt from all the cars and I feel it is an improvement -I didnt really notice any huge increase in power but as Lee said the power is a lot smoother - I really like the gear change - I think it feels better than any of the others. It certainly does corner well - our cup has Eibach sportlines and it felt as responsive.

We have had minor niggles with all 3 cars - all problems fixed under warranty.

The coilovers wont fit but the viper and super Ls will.

We did have a long solo test drive in the 182 before I decided to order it

You really need to drive one - does your local dealer have one?

H

HAHA what you on about mate, its a 1.8 Turbo GTi Anniversary 180bhp as standard, £400 Revo and its running 240 ish BHP (no life eh.......)

Cheers Lee, yeah i have seen ya Spa Vids;) I really want that lower down power like the Willy as the 172 has Valver syndrome.

The only reason i was thinking bout Golf was cause of the build quality, oh and that Turbo.

Im just a bit dubious as to why he is selling it so soon.

Its just a bit far to go just to test drive it thou, hes almost 200 miles away.

Anyone with a 182 local to St-Ives/Cambridge wanna take me out for a blast in theres? And maybe have a blast against the 172 to see how they compare.

Smokey

Well giving a sh*t chassis even more power isnt really improving it..

It seems like the 182 is a good move. Id get a Mini though *runs*

-Rob

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

To echo Lee Ms comments really.

I changed because of massive discount.

I feel my 182 is better all round than the 172, it feels more sure footed around corners/roundabouts etc.

The twin exhaust didnt take my fancy to start with, but now its grown on me.

Build quality is same as mk2 172, which I think is slightly better than mk1?

Mine had a cat replaced this morning after 8500miles (2.5months). Although it is off to Pro-Speed to get a full system fitted.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Smokey you wont get that much BHP outa that, i had a ibiza cupra 1.8 t chipped it made 205bhp with full system £200 induction kit diffrent n75 valve, the turbos are far to small only ko3s or ko3 sports 20 psi kills them 17psi was achievable but that produced the above figures 240bhp could be possible but that would be a £3000 IHI conversion from Jabba sport!! not worth it im more than happy with my 172 far more fun!!!

K-Tech seem to think the Coilovers will fit the 182, the only change apparently was the exhaust set-up. But i need to speak to David from K-tech later this afternoon to confirm that.

It says they are for the Mk1 & Mk2 which includes the CUP so im guessing they will fit straight on.

Were now thinking about buying a brand new one, anyone work for renault that can get F&F discount for me;)?

Or wheres the best place to buy a brand new one with Sat-Nav? Must be full UK spec and no import rubbish

[Edited by Smokey on 07 October 2004 at 1:17pm]

Meg on pistonheads £6995

a Golf?

even @ 240BHP only same bhp/tonne as 182 :confused:

dull dull dull (cept mk 1 GTi and perhaps VR6)

Meg on pistonheads £6995

P.S: the car will be gone!

Ive SOLD 2 cars on autotrader in 3 hours - decent cars at the right price go INSTANTLY

ppl WANT these cars!

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 07 October 2004
To echo Lee Ms comments really.I changed because of massive discount.I feel my 182 is better all round than the 172, it feels more sure footed around corners/roundabouts etc.The twin exhaust didnt take my fancy to start with, but now its grown on me.Build quality is same as mk2 172, which I think is slightly better than mk1?Mine had a cat replaced this morning after 8500miles (2.5months). Although it is off to Pro-Speed to get a full system fitted.

what was wrong with the cat?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 07 October 2004
Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 07 October 2004Mine had a cat replaced this morning after 8500miles (2.5months). Although it is off to Pro-Speed to get a full system fitted.

what was wrong with the cat?

It was cracked apparently, so was blowing.
All sorted now.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

smokey, im in northlondon/herts.

im happy to give you blast out in mine. let me know.

Arctic Blue 182

Hi Smokey,

I changed from a Mk1 172 to a 182 with Cup Packs. The main reason, it corrected what I didnt really like about the MK1 - the handiling. Much more sure footed on the road, less body roll. All round the 182 is more refined, and as Lee M said, power delivery is smoother (until 5000rpm, then it throws you through the boot!). Although I did like the raw feel of the Mk1, dont get me wrong, it was a great car, but I have to say I made the right choice to change.

As for the interior, Miles better in the new Clio as opposed to the two-tone blue/grey fisher-Price crap that is in the 172, plus the toy and equipment spec is tremendous when you consider the price - Climate Control, Cruise Control etc. A few subtle changes here and there massively improve on the Mk1

Best thing to do, after taking all our views on board is go and try one. Most dealers have now got them for demo with Cup Packs (my original test drive didnt have them) and they are an essential purchase IMO. The suspension at least, unless you planning on tinkering with that yourself.

Or, you could wait for the cheaper 182 Cup.....

Its better than a Golf GTi. We have them as company cars at work. Theyre just tanks.

Best of luck dude.

Before I got the S3 I bought a Golf Mk4 V6 4Motion (standard), I didnt like it at all, sure it had the power, comperable times to a 172 (my previous car), but it felt slow and bouncy (soft suspension).

I would avoid that Golf Ani, even "power improved" its still a Golf, to large and comfy to feel sporty. Your better off with a 182.

none of the bloody stealers around here have got one in, let alone one with the CUP pack.

I think i will just buy one, going by what you lot have said i dont think im gonna be dissapointed if its better then the Mk1 172. Saying that i have never seen a 182 in the flesh.

Only issue i have is with the colour, im not sure if its a bit gay lol:oops: (just some comments friends have made:mad:)

hmmmmmmmm................... decisions decisions

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 07 October 2004

smokey, im in northlondon/herts.

im happy to give you blast out in mine. let me know.

im from near herts, will have to meet when i get mine! as im keen on getting same exhaust! :)

Elise/VX220/R26

Id buy a second hand one, Id never buy a new renault again just because of the risiduals. That 182 looks a bargain tho