ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO people who have owned both 1*2 and 197/200's!

LY 200
***title was supposed to state FAO people :clown:***

This is not a post to start a war on which the wider variety thinks is the bee's bollox or the opposite but one for people that have owned a 1*2 model and then progressed to a later model!

After more than three years of owning my 182 i am currently thinking of changing over, not because iv fallen out of love as she is still a blinding car but for the fact im increasingly fancying a change but the question is (to the people that have had both) is the 197/200 that much of an upgrade?

I rarely use my car (hence why i have only coverered 15k in the last three and abit years) but when i do i like it to be fun - Everything you could want from a hot hatch shall we say!

I love the look of the newer models (increasingly more with time) and whenever i have sat in them i have felt like i am sitting in something more up market than the 182 however im wondering whether this will just be a novelty that will soon wear off after a few weeks!?

If you have had experience with both what are the most noticeable pros and cons between the older and later ones!?

I will more than likely be looking at either an R27 or 200 although i could be tempted by a Cup!

Cheers

Jay

Re: FAO who have owned both 1*2 and 197/200's!

Plenty folk on here have owned both. The 197/R27 is much better IMO in just about every aspect.

Looks/build/interior. Only thing IMO is they don't 'feel' as fast..

LY 200

Have you driven a 197/200 yet?

Not yet mate - I did book a test drive on a 197 cup back in April/May however i didnt show for it as i was still unsure about changing cars and knew if i drove one my mind would probably made up!

This is really a thread that will determine whether i go for a test drive or not tbh.

Alright my friend...yip, you will find plenty of people who have progressed from 182 to 197/200. I owned 182 for 4yrs...thought and still think that it is a super wee car that always brings a smile to your face.

I bought an R27...and I'll be perfectly honest...I haven't looked back mate! It such a major improvement over the 182 in many departments. It is definately an all round superior package and still brings a smile to my face after a year of ownership.

Like you, I thought the 182 was brilliant...but time moves on, things progress and I can tell you, IMO, you will not be disappointed with a move to either 197 / 200.

Just my pennies worth.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Not yet mate - I did book a test drive on a 197 cup back in April/May however i didnt show for it as i was still unsure about changing cars and knew if i drove one my mind would probably made up!

This is really a thread that will determine whether i go for a test drive or not tbh.

I've driven two 197's now..

Great handling, brakes, and nice exhaust note. The only thing i'd miss from a 172/82 is the rawness they offer

I'd take one out on a test drive Jay.

Peddled device

I thought about this...but have stuck with my 182 Cup (with a few mods). The 197's look great (l thought they were poo at first) and no doubt they are better built.But without driving one l know that nearly all the feedback is right....that they just don't 'feel' as good as a 182.....much like when l sold my 205 1.9 GTi for a 172 Cup.The Cup was the better car in everyway...but it never felt the same as the 205.Why? Easy....extra weight.

LY 200

Alright my friend...yip, you will find plenty of people who have progressed from 182 to 197/200. I owned 182 for 4yrs...thought and still think that it is a super wee car that always brings a smile to your face.

I bought an R27...and I'll be perfectly honest...I haven't looked back mate! It such a major improvement over the 182 in many departments. It is definately an all round superior package and still brings a smile to my face after a year of ownership.

Like you, I thought the 182 was brilliant...but time moves on, things progress and I can tell you, IMO, you will not be disappointed with a move to either 197 / 200.

Just my pennies worth.

Nice one mate - The sort of thing i want to here really!

No horror story of hardly any difference in there! ;)

I think il make that a task for the weekend mate!

Does anyone have any exp with both the 197 and 200? Are they essentially the same car to drive?

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27

First point is to test a 197/200.

My personal feelings/opinion is this. The 197 is better looking & better built that imo handles better and is easier to drive fast, its more forgiving when you get it a little wrong and wont bight your head off. Its also better as an everyday car but great at the weekend when you want to go out and have some fun.

The 182 is definately more fun, everytime I drive ours it puts a smile on my face, ours is faster in a straight line than our 197, but doesn't handle aswell. If I am going out on a saturay morning for a blast I take the 182 the majority of the time because its just more fun.

They are both great cars for different reasons, I think I'd advise you to stick with the 182 though if you are just looking for a bit of weekend entertainment

White clique

I have owned 172 / 182 / 197.

The 197 sounds better, is more solid and confident, better layout, handling on standard set up was every bit as good as my cupped 182, more refined, you'll love the keyless go, more of a head turner (for older MILFs), lower insurance group, rattles less than the 182.

The 182 pulled a bit better higher up, better MPG, more of a head turner (for 17 yr old blondes), had better standard spec.

All in all im much preferred my 197, i really got fed up with the 182 falling to bits despite being only 4 years old when i got rid of it. The 197 just feels like it was a massive leap forwards.

I speak from experience not hearsay.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

^

Pretty much spot on. Speed wise your splitting hairs imo, you probably get good ones and bad ones like any RS Clio. I especially like the gearbox, massive leap forward in feel/shift imo. Also the engine loves to be revved, when in the upper RPM limit it does not sound like its going to blow itself to bits, unlike the mk2 ;)

White clique

yep deffo remembered that about the higher revving on the 197, the engine felt more solid for sure.

Oh plus the brakes on the 197 are miles better, you dont feel like you are going to bin it into a hedge when having a play like you do in the 182!

Cayman S Edition 1

182 Trophy, 197 (sold last year), 225. All Brilliant in their own ways

Clio MK 4

I'm thinking of going to a 197/r27 but the only thing thats putting me off is the fact it will feel less raw and quick as my 172.

Swift Sport

I went from a 172 to a 182 Cup, then to a 197... Since then I've had it mapped and added coilovers.

Drove a 182 last week for the first time in a year and a half, I couldn't help thinking it was a bit s**t tbh.

Only thing I miss about my old Clios is the fuel consumption, the 197 is noticably heavier on petrol!

LY 200

Hmmmm an interesting mix there with what rich/gem said!

I think i need to have a drive of one and see what i think but i just dont want to do that, love it/want it being a new car thing and then get to a few months down the line and think this is the same or not as good as my previous was (like i ended up doing after i had sold my Williams hybrid for the newer model)!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I have owned 172 / 182 / 197.

The 197 sounds better, is more solid and confident, better layout, handling on standard set up was every bit as good as my cupped 182, more refined, you'll love the keyless go, more of a head turner (for older MILFs), lower insurance group, rattles less than the 182.

The 182 pulled a bit better higher up, better MPG, more of a head turner (for 17 yr old blondes), had better standard spec.

All in all im much preferred my 197, i really got fed up with the 182 falling to bits despite being only 4 years old when i got rid of it. The 197 just feels like it was a massive leap forwards.

I speak from experience not hearsay.

So in a nutshell Alan, you prefer MILFS to 17 year old blondes? ;)

Swift Sport

Hmmmm an interesting mix there with what rich/gem said!

I think i need to have a drive of one and see what i think but i just dont want to do that, love it/want it being a new car thing and then get to a few months down the line and think this is the same or not as good as my previous was (like i ended up doing after i had sold my Williams hybrid for the newer model)!

If you bought a 197 would you have any intentions of modding it?

A remap and coilovers have completely transformed mine, totally different to drive now... much more 'hardcore' :D

LY 200

^No mate i wouldnt but that is why i would only go for the R27 or a Cup chassied 197 or 200!

Remap may be in order though.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27

Apart from a few little mods (braided lines & a remap) our R27 is staying pretty standard.
We have the 182 for "hardcore" fun :)
I will say it is nice having a newer car, the 182 can be a little bit expensive to maintain as its getting older.

LY 200

^Your not doing me any favours here - This thread was supposed to be mainly to persuade me to seriously think about the change! ;)

Still gonna have a drive in one and see what i think.

M135i

I've driven two 197's now..

Great handling, brakes, and nice exhaust note. The only thing i'd miss from a 172/82 is the rawness they offer

I agree with Fletch.

I've owned two 172 cups and now own a R27 and 172.

I didnt used the R27 for a couple of week but when I got back in the drivers seat it felt alot better in every aspect to the 172.

You wont look back if you make the change mate. As Fletch says, the rawness of the 182 but the 197/200 will make up for that in alot of other areas.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

182 was 'raw' ... 197 was more refined but didnt feel as quick

get a vee ;)

Clio MK 4

whats a remap like on the 197's/r27? is it the same feel as remapping 172/182 or do you feel a bit more power

Swift Sport

whats a remap like on the 197's/r27? is it the same feel as remapping 172/182 or do you feel a bit more power

I wouldn't say more 'power' but it feels better, the lack of torque is less obvious as the power comes in lower down in the rev range. Power is increased by about 9bhp apparently, this combined with a panel filter and theres a noticable difference between mine and a standard car.

172 cup , 197 cup

Picture 497.jpg

I am lucky enough to have both ... 197 looks superb , impresses people and has a great chassis but I think the 172 Cup is " the daddy " .

LY 200

Well i went out for a test drive today and although i was impressed i wasnt all the same as imo it just hasnt progressed enough in the departments it shouldve done being that its a performance hatch!

Things i liked -

The looks (Alien green) were absolutely fantastic although my good friend Rach who come with me said mine still looked better :rolleyes:.....Really like the front in the flesh, the wideness and the rear end and with the exhaust and diffuser it is ten times better than the 197 and definately the 182!

The interior felt more BMW than Renault but then is it because it a new car? Loved the Recaros, loved the steering wheel, center section, dash and pretty much everything although im not sure i liked how spacious it was!

The ride was fantastic (although a little too smooth and quiet for a performance hatch), the gearbox was a smash and the exhaust note when giving it some was something i wasnt expecting......A massive improvement in that department!

However there was a downside -

The positives above aside it just wasnt as quick as my 182 and when i say that i dont mean it didnt feel as quick it simply wasnt and for me as a weekend driver that is really one of the most important things......Although mine is currently rocking minor mods it has a much heavier kick at 2/3k where as the 200 just doesnt seem to want to move until 5k and by that time i was left wondering whether it was the real deal!

After getting back in the 182, i also noticed how chuckable and fun it was to drive when compared to the bolshy new model......You have plenty of lean when going fast round corners, bends etc in the 182 but the 200 just literally stuck which i know is a good thing to the majority however it just didnt do anything for me as it was too easy!

On the whole if i was driving it everyday i may well have said its the better car and gone with it but for what i want it for its just not worth the 7/8k extra as it simply hasnt progressed enough to warrant it so for now the 182 stays.....

Skoda
I've gone from a valver to a 182 to a 197 to a 200.... My fav car over all if I'm honest was my valver. It was such an enjoyable car to drive and put a smile on my face every time... 182 to 197 is like chalk and cheese... two completely different cars in feel and drive. My 182 was a lot easier to drive quick without having to rev the balls off it.... Personally I wouldn't touch a 197 now the 200 is around. As I've said on other threads the 200 is the car the 197 should have been from the start... Its so much better in every area... Looks are always gonna be an IMO thing... I've never looked back moving from 182 to 197 to 200 each one has been better for me

LY 200
Im similar on the Valver as i would say my Valver (especially when i took it to 2.0 16v territory) put more of a smile on my face than the 182 i have now does but again i suppose its all down to what i want it for which is really nothing but a car that puts a smile on my face when i get in it on a Saturday or Sunday morning!

If i went for the 200 i could only see myself wishing i still had the 182 after a while but then i think that has been touched on by somebody that has both in this thread anyway!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I'm thinking of going to a 197/r27 but the only thing thats putting me off is the fact it will feel less raw and quick as my 172.
I find it the other way, I find the 172 feels a bit slower than my 197 did. It is pretty much dead equal between the 2, as in who-ever hits the loud pedal 1st wins. Saying this, and this is what surprises me the most. The 197 felt like it had more power throughout the revs, it was nice and smooth in the delivery of the power and when you hit the higher revs around 5.5k-6k revs it felt fast, and it felt like it was meant to be up there. The 172 feels a little bit weaker to me in the lower revs, then at 5k it has a more sudden pic up but its a lot rougher than the 197. The gearbox also had a lot to do with the difference to me. Im sure I'll get used to the 172 when I have had it a wee bit longer however I dont think it'll ever be as good to use as the 197 box was. It was short throw, 6 gears, considerably better clutch feel and super smooth in the 197.

I would say that the 197 are different cars from the 1*2 but you can tell they are related. The grip on the 197 was fantastic and I honestly didn't feel the weight that much. Its hard to describe, the difference in feel didnt make it seem sluggish or slow or heavy etc, it just made it feel much more planted and sure footed. It was still a very agile and nimble car to throw around.

seems you have pretty much made your mind up. important point thought...when I first took a 197 out for a 'test drive' and I still owned my 182, i thought it was keck. i took a different 197 out for a second time and my mind started to change. when I took the r27 out for test drive the third time...my mind was made up...and as mentioned earlier, haven't looked back.

although i understand your comment about things not having progressed or moved on enough in your opinion...which I also thought after an intial test drive in a 197, i firmly believe for a N/A engine, the 197 has made significant progress over the 182...IMO

Mondeo TDCI 130
Not knocking what anyone has said, but from a test drive surely it's hard to tell!?

Had my 200 cup a week, done just over 300 miles, and i love it!!!like the fact it will just trundle around smooth as hell, the 172 cup wasnt so keen on that, let it loose and it flies!

This is just my opinion, i drive a lot, but feel the 182 is the worst of the bunch! Never feel like they want to go like a 172.

LY 200
182 is the worst of the bunch! Never feel like they want to go like a 172.

172 cup i assume you mean?

I have pals with standard 172's and they are the worst of the bunch for what they are supposed to do.....A fully loaded 182 with a few minor tweaks is much more capable and easily on par with your average cup plus it has the goodies!

I think a test drive was long enough to know whether parting with an extra 7/8k was worth it as i did get to give it plenty of stick but it just wasnt as able as the 182.....Perhaps when they get properly run in it will be a different story but as it was it just wasnt!

I wasnt knocking them totally anyway as they have many plus points however for what i want it for personally it just isnt a better deal....

Mondeo TDCI 130
172 cup i assume you mean?

I have pals with standard 172's and they are the worst of the bunch for what they are supposed to do.....A fully loaded 182 with a few minor tweaks is much more capable and easily on par with your average cup plus it has the goodies!

I think a test drive was long enough to know whether parting with and extra 7/8k was worth it as i did get to give it plenty of stick but it just wasnt as able as the 182.....Perhaps when they get properly run in it will be a different story but as it was it just wasnt!

I wasnt knocking them totally anyway as they have many plus points however for what i want it for personally it just isnt a better deal....

See i didn't get this on my test drive, did 8 miles, but it was all in town on a dual with a 50 limit! But have driven gaz's 197 a fair amount and loved that so just went for it!!

LY 200
To be fair mate the salesman took us out first and made a point of 'showing us what it could do' if you will so once i had my turn that was my licence! :cool:

Hit a few nice roads so it was all good really and the way it should be when being taken out in these cars imo....