ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Daz (wiring rev counter into phase 3 1.2)

Hi,

could you tell me how you wired up the rev counter on your old phase 3?

I've now got myself some RT clocks but IIRC from what you said they're not plug and play into a 1.2 and will require some modification - do you know exactly what needs to be done or can point me in the direction of someone who can do the work? I know its something to do with the coilpack giving a different signal but beyond that... :-s

Also, i take it the car interior loom is already there for these clocks?

Many thanks!

Long time ago now.. but I'll kinda put all I can remember down here.

Since I did mine, I found out the 1.2 RN (Mk1 Phase3) had a Rev Counter and it worked fine - so, maybe if you could get some of these clocks they'd just "plug in"?

The RT/S clocks don't work out the box - it just gets no signal.
I looked round for ages and no one had a clue how it would work - the wiring diagrams weren't clear etc.. Some people said alternator output, some people said ECU some said Coil (heh!)

I eventually found a company called "Speedy Cables" who for £75 (I think?) basically ripped the rev counter workings out and replaced it with an electronic unit. (but kept the face the same.. so it looked factory). All I had left was a pot (to adjust the RPM) and a single wire seperate from everything else in the unit.

This wire had to be wired to the eDIS module (You had to run your own wire from the clocks to their.. so totally seperate from the loom.) - this was basically done by splicing into the required cable and soldering it into place.
Now, which wire it was - no one knew.. had to try all of them (but you could do that without cutting each one) until one worked. I can't remember which myself.

Eventually got one which worked but it only read half the revs - this is where that pot came in - I knew where they idled roughly.. and just adjusted it to this..

It was a major headache - and, if I had to do it again, I'd definetly 100% try the 1.2 RN clock track first.

Cheers for that m8 but unfortunately i don't have a coil like that :-(

My ones like this (block thing with ig lead in pic);

DSC00167.jpg

There's no coil like that on these (which is why I laughed when someone said wire it to that!). It's all in the eDIS module.

Joys of having a DIET engine I guess ;)

Well i took apart the RT clocks yesterday and it looks like it's gonna be too much effort to go that route. I'll keep an eye out for the RN clocks you suggested but failing that, i'll chalk this one down to a waste of time...