ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO BEN R RE:cam timing

RIght, got cams put in today, they set it all uo as normal, crank at TDC, cams at TDC etc, then we looked at the notes you gave me, im guessinng that we loosen the pulleys, then turn the camshaft until our dial gauge matches the figure that Kent have given me for lift at TDC? so in other words, the crank is locked at TDC and then the cams are individually turned until we get what we want....is that right? Also, am i right in thinking that normally lift at TDC=0? and that i shoulkd be measuring the lift on the valves nearest to the pulleys? got a little confused today!! any help appreciated!

2005 Nissan Navara

set crank 2 TDC on exhst stroke. this is where both valves r open--overlap.

get figure for lift at TDC for each valve, adjust vernier 2 give this lift @TDC.

doesnt matter which valves u measure as long as that piston is on exhst stroke.

there is lift at TDC, hence this timing method!!

williams and trophy

there will be quite a bit of turning the crank pulley without the piston actually moving at tdc mate

u wanna see the dif in angles between where the piston hits tdc and where its starts movin away from it again

u wanna aim at 1/2 way btween these angles as true tdc.......then do as u say lock it n work on the cams

Hello, been on a plane away etc etc etc.

Anyway. Lock it to TDC, the engines have a bolt you can remove then insert a tool which locks the crank at its natural TDC. But if you want measure the angle BTDC where the piston JUST stops moving, note it, then keep turning until the piston JUST starts moving again, note it. Take the average and set the crank to that.

As for timing, there is lift at TDC. Overlap. The lift value will either be given on the cam data sheet, or you will need to find out.

If you set cylinder 1 (furtherst from flywheel for me) at TDC, thatn thats the set of valves you measure with the dial gauge. Remember, the exhaust valve is closing as the crank rotates, and the inlet opening. So to measure the exhaust lift you will need to turn the engine forwards, and to measure inlet lift, you will need ot turnt he engine backwards. Leave the crank and just turn the pullies until the desired lift is aquired.

right ben, that makes sense, just one last question, with the engine at TDC, the cams both at the correct setting for TDC also, will the valve lift=0? if this is the case, i just make sure the cambelt is on, crank is at TDC as are cams, tension the belt, loosen the Verniers, turn the cams until they measure 1.24mm lift for exhaust and 1.26mm for inlet (exhaust turn forward and inlet turn backward) then when i get them set at this, tighten up verniers again and im rollling?

erm, you seem a confused.

lift at TDC for both inlet and exhaust WILL be a value higher than zero. I dont know how you think that it should be zero, but yet you have the TDC values to set the cams too? lol.

But yes, thats the way you go about it.