ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO anyone who's fitted an oil cooler

Golf GTD Mk7
Got this off Timi (thanks mate ;)) , but i'm puzzled where these rubber bits go. Any ideas?

DSC_0193.jpg

This is how I presume it goes together? ie. imagine the block is where the floor is.

DSC_0189.jpg

I've tried putting the rubber seals in a few places, but they don't seem to compress/look like they would do anything. Presumably they must go around the thermostat/sandwich somewhere?

DSC_0194.jpg

Any ideas?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
they look like through panel rubbers

ie if the pipes need to go through the crossmember/slam panel etc, you drill your hole, put them rubbers in the hole and then put the pipework through them, stops the pipes rubbing on the bodywork and splitting

Golf GTD Mk7
You mean the cooler? It keeps the oil temp (and as a result, pressure) down to prevent the oil from thinning out too much and not doing it's job. Keeps the engine healthier in theory if you are doing track work. Plus you can do more laps without worrying about it. Thermostat is a must really if you use it for the road as oil obviously needs to get to a reasonable temp to work properly (too cool is a no no).

a thirsty one
i used to run one in a previous car with a built in thermostat even when the thermostat is closed they do still allow some oil into the cooler and in the cold months on short journeys (less 10-15 miles) the oil refused to get upto temp. one idea i pinched from gmc racing was to get a sheet of thin aluminium and cable tie it to the front of the cooler during winter, you could even cut a large hole in the ali panel to allow some air onto the cooler during winter drives etc

overcooling oil can be a bad thing are you fitting an oil temp guage at the same time?

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
You mean the cooler? It keeps the oil temp (and as a result, pressure) down to prevent the oil from thinning out too much and not doing it's job. Keeps the engine healthier in theory if you are doing track work. Plus you can do more laps without worrying about it. Thermostat is a must really if you use it for the road as oil obviously needs to get to a reasonable temp to work properly (too cool is a no no).

Oil cooler keeps oil temps down and oil pressure up. The oil pump can't pump the oil as effectively at high temps.

My view is that its overkill unless your running a highly tuned engine or turbo setup. I dont think even the clio cup racers have oil coolers? You far better off just running good quality oil that's stable at high temps.

The other risk is that if the cooler or pipes get damaged and you loose your oil, your in big trouble!

If your really worried about oil temps, buy an oil filter blank sandwich plate and run an oil temp and pressure gauge off that. If temps start to rise just pull off track for a bit. Much cheaper and easier :D

Golf GTD Mk7
i used to run one in a previous car with a built in thermostat even when the thermostat is closed they do still allow some oil into the cooler and in the cold months on short journeys (less 10-15 miles) the oil refused to get upto temp. one idea i pinched from gmc racing was to get a sheet of thin aluminium and cable tie it to the front of the cooler during winter, you could even cut a large hole in the ali panel to allow some air onto the cooler during winter drives etc

overcooling oil can be a bad thing are you fitting an oil temp guage at the same time?

Wasn't going to John, wouldn't that require another sandwich plate to put the probes into?