ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fans On Full Power

2002 Clio 172
Whilst driving the other day, my fans decided to go on full power. I have no control of the fans power anymore, it is full all the time from the second you turn the key. I can still control temperature, and direction of the fans (at your feet, windscreen etc) but just always full power!

I have had a quick look for a fuse that I can pull out to stop it as a quick fix, but I cant find this either.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Sounds odd, i dunno if the fan resistor pack can cause a few different faults but when mine went down i had no fans at all.

Its on the drivers side behind the scuttle panel, 2 screws hold it in iirc so if you know someone else with a 172 it might be worth swapping them see if it fixes it!

Has yours got climate control/a/c?

Clio 172
Hi mate,

If it's a 172 with climate control, like mine, then it's most likely the resistor pack. I had exactly the same problem and fixed it about 2 weeks ago. The problem is it's failed and gone open circuit, essentially shorting out pins 1 and 5 (the ones connected to the 2 black wires on either end of the connector). This causes the fans to go full chat all the time.

A new resistor pack is about £105 exc VAT (~£123 inc VAT) from Renault and takes about 10 minutes to change. You can find it underneath the scuttle panel infront of the drivers side windscreen and it's a really big connector more towards the middle of the car with 5 wires going into it - 2 blacks on either end, and 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 green in the middle. Just unplug the connector, undo the 2 screws holding it in, pull the pack out. Fitting the new one is just the reverse. If I work out how to upload some pictures then I will.

Hope this helps.

Darran

Last edited:
hey guys my resistor went and been replaced about a month ago now. my fans didnt work at all.....cost me £98 for the new resistor from renault all sorted now:approve: