ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faded Red Paint

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
My mate bought a VXR yesterday, in the rain, and TBH the roof and bonnet are pretty faded.

I believe red is notoriously hard to bring back, is it a lost cause or do we have a chance of bringing it back. We have access to a PC Polisher, but what sort of products/pads would be best?

Thanks

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Have you got autoglym super resin polish, I'm sure everyone has at some point.

a mild cleanser with abrasives will bring it back if it's not too far gone. Look at autofinesse tripple on their website where they did a 50:50 comparison on a red golf bonnet.

if it's worse than start with a finishing polish. But using the above with a machine polisher should do it. Then you need to protect it with a wax or sealant and sought your wash routine so nothing too aggressive takes it straight back to pink.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Red astras are not clear coated. I know this because I had a pink one in today for full correction and then a valet.

Came up like new but vauxhall red paint is f**king s**t and no doubt it will be faded and crappy again soon as the owner isn't one for car care.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Clear coat is laquer.

If paint has faded under the laquer, no amount of polishing will bring it back and a respray is the only solution. Seat ovni yellow being a prime example.

I'll get some pics of the one I did.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not all cars have it no.

06 reg?? Sting me! Big tax bracket too.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just a saying.

Bloke a) I'm having my dick cut off tomorrow with a stanley knife/I just found out that my wife spent £3000 on a handbag...

Bloke b) Ooooh, sting me.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I think you'll have a clear coat / lacquer finish over the colour. That means that any polishing will only be on the clear coat, not touching he faded paint. Only cure will be a respray.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Paint fading. My two knackered pads are proof! lol.

Red vauxhalls aren't lacquered. Dreadful really in this day and age!

Paint fading. My two knackered pads are proof! lol.

Red vauxhalls aren't lacquered. Dreadful really in this day and age!

Pads were red once you had finished? im amazed it wasnt lacquered that is P*SS poor oem finish, wont last 5 mins, and they know it. I did a bumper on a Red vauxhall a while ago, but obviously i didnt have to touch the main body, but i was fairly sure the bumper was BC + Lacquer when sanding it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bumpers are lacquered yeah. I didn't have to touch them, they were fine.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
If that all fails, you might try some of the red turtle wax polish to try and add a bit of colour back in. I think Daniel is right, they are not clear coated.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Iirc their was a change over year around that time when it went over too a lacquer finish. Polish a small peice and if any red transfers you will know!( Single stage will have colour transfer)

​chris

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If that all fails, you might try some of the red turtle wax polish to try and add a bit of colour back in. I think Daniel is right, they are not clear coated.

You THINK I'm right?! I haven't made it up have I!

I'll post you the two bright red pads for proof if you like.