ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fabricators need your advice

What type of sheet metal would you use as a plate for the pedals? 3mm alluminium? Also any ideas how to get the plate flat that wouldnt need welding? Just thinking I could do this all at home without one. Mild steel spacers fastened down with rivnuts?? Or would that not be strong enough

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
You'll be putting a lot of load through the pedals, so the mounting needs to be strong. Could you weld some bosses to the floor to bolt into? You could use those to set the pedals level at the same time. You may still find the floor bends a little. I'm not sure how stiff the floor is there really.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
3mm Ali should be fine, maybe go up to 5mm or simple the 3mm

I’d bend some Ali to give it flanges and rub but and boot through personally

Im thinking it could be bolted to the floor with spacers, use say 3 at the front and a couple back, as the force pushing the pedals the front will take all the hit.

Also floorboard being used right now sheet on order ?

IMG_1397.JPG

You need a spreader of some description to distribute the force on the bolts or it'll tear itself out of the floor. I'd be welding, or getting someone to weld in, something like 2-3mm steel sheet to ensure it's strong enough instead of messing around with Ali sheet and spacers.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much force would be required and I'm not smart enough to calculate it. I'm going off my experiences fitting cages, and how floppy car floors are when exposed to forces outside of their 'normal' ones. Also seeing how far bulkheads flex under braking on some cars also shows the force your legs can exert, and that's on vehicles with servo assisted brakes.
Every car I've seen with floor mounted pedals have them mounted on a flat, reinforced, plate, which is why that's how I would do it.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I’d be thinking along the lines of the boxes that are welded in for the feet on rollcages.
Maybe stitch weld a sheet/strips to the floor first, then a box with captive nuts over the top.
Beauty of that is you could have a line of captive nuts to allow you to move the pedals forwards or backwards in the future