ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4RT head on F4R block

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Right guys. I have a question and I know there's some guru here who can help haha

I have recently acquired a ph1 172, I also own a meg 225 which owes me nothing and I'm wondering if it's either possible to get the meg engine in my clio or just use the head from the meg engine?

Roughly how much works involved in either option!

I've taken the brakes off which will be going on the clio too once I can get some brackets made

P.S anybody needing anything off the meg who reads this just give me a shout.

Thanks

Jordan

PH1 loads of boost!
You can fit the Megane head yes but it's not a straight swap, it will physically bolt on but the 172 head has an extra idler that you need to add to the 225 head if you want to fit it. Also the mounting points for the belt cover/engine mount is different because you'll need to use the 172 one and we'll. And by using the 225 head means you can't have VVT that the 172 has.

Right guys. I have a question and I know there's some guru here who can help  haha

I have recently acquired a ph1 172, I also own a meg 225 which owes me nothing and I'm wondering if it's either possible to get the meg engine in my clio or just use the head from the meg engine?

Roughly how much works involved in either option!

I've taken the brakes off which will be going on the clio too once I can get some brackets made 

P.S anybody needing anything off the meg who reads this just give me a shout.

Thanks

Jordan

as wilky says it does fit with somre extra but its not a straight conversion it has its own issues youll need to deal with.

brackets can be bought from www.spead.co.uk thats who i got mine from

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
You can fit the Megane head yes but it's not a straight swap, it will physically bolt on but the 172 head has an extra idler that you need to add to the 225 head if you want to fit it. Also the mounting points for the belt cover/engine mount is different because you'll need to use the 172 one and we'll. And by using the 225 head means you can't have VVT that the 172 has.

as wilky says it does fit with somre extra but its not a straight conversion it has its own issues youll need to deal with.

brackets can be bought from www.spead.co.uk thats who i got mine from

Cheers guys.

I didn't think it would be straight forward but got to be cheaper than the turbo lots on the market because I have most of it at hand. Losing the VVT is a bit of collateral damage I'm willing to take for a bit of boost

Thanks for the link W33 brl. Just seen you've done the same. How did you find it? Worth the headache?

Cheers guys.

I didn't think it would be straight forward but got to be cheaper than the turbo lots on the market because I have most of it at hand. Losing the VVT is a bit of collateral damage I'm willing to take for a bit of boost 

Thanks for the link W33 brl. Just seen you've done the same. How did you find it? Worth the headache?

i bought the head already on the engine, it was the downpipe fouling the master cylinder and boost pipes that annoyed me tbh

cheaper andf easier getting clio block turbo'd tbh

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
i bought the head already on the engine, it was the downpipe fouling the master cylinder and boost pipes that annoyed me tbh

cheaper andf easier getting clio block turbo'd tbh

I see I see. All that's above my head anyway. I'm a CNC machinist. I have a fairly good mechanical knowledge but when all the problems start arising it will blow my head and I don't want to rely on mates to pull me out the s**t haha.

May just break the megane to fund getting the clio block turbo'd

I see I see. All that's above my head anyway. I'm a CNC machinist. I have a fairly good mechanical knowledge but when all the problems start arising it will blow my head and I don't want to rely on mates to pull me out the s**t haha.

May just break the megane to fund getting the clio block turbo'd

just annoys you more than anything... feeling once your sort its great

speak to wilky and Andyrg they guys have Clioturbo.co.uk masters of the clio turbo conversion and there based in durham not to far away

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
just annoys you more than anything... feeling once your sort its great

speak to wilky and Andyrg they guys have Clioturbo.co.uk masters of the clio turbo conversion and there based in durham not to far away

Yeah I can imagine. Yeah I bet it's a quality sense of achievement once it's done!

Yeah I'll have a word with them mate. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are you under the impression that by fitting the turbo head your car is then somehow going to be in a much better position to turbo than it is currently?

All you need on these engines is a thicker head gasket and you can happily run pretty decent power from them turbo, a different head wont make any difference to the amount the rods can take which is the biggest issue if chasing larger numbers.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
am i right in thinking the meggy 225 headgasket is quite thick compared to the 172 item? do you know the differences? or where a thick gasket is available form

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Are you under the impression that by fitting the turbo head your car is then somehow going to be in a much better position to turbo than it is currently?

All you need on these engines is a thicker head gasket and you can happily run pretty decent power from them turbo, a different head wont make any difference to the amount the rods can take which is the biggest issue if chasing larger numbers.

I'm not initially chasing big figures but I'd like to get some forged rods and pistons in just in case my mind changes in the future. I was just thinking cost wise it might be cheaper than buying the turbo kits available on the market!

Would I be wrong in thinking so?

I know that to run anything over 300/300 in the meg the rods need to be done as a few people suffer from them bending.

BG FF 182
I wanted to fit the head but seams more work than it's worth, then wondered if I could get the manifold and turbo behind the standard 182 inlet but as it doesn't might just go with the parts designed for the 182. I was thinking about a custom manifold to bring the turbo round to where the air box is but not sure how much that would cost and if it would be worth it.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
I wanted to fit the head but seams more work than it's worth, then wondered if I could get the manifold and turbo behind the standard 182 inlet but as it doesn't might just go with the parts designed for the 182. I was thinking about a custom manifold to bring the turbo round to where the air box is but not sure how much that would cost and if it would be worth it.

RS have had one made and another guy who's car featured in PFC also had one made to side mount the turbo but you'll be talking big monies there I'm sure

BG FF 182
Depend how much, if it means I could use a 225 turbo and upgrade to the hybrid when I can forge the engine then it maybe worth it. Plus it looks cool.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Depend how much, if it means I could use a 225 turbo and upgrade to the hybrid when I can forge the engine then it maybe worth it. Plus it looks cool.

Does look sweet with the side mounted turbo. I'd love to hear how much one of them manifolds costs. If you enquire and you don't mind sharing then let me know

BG FF 182
Does look sweet with the side mounted turbo. I'd love to hear how much one of them manifolds costs. If you enquire and you don't mind sharing then let me know

No harm in getting an enquiry and would love to have that in the bay and will let you know.

BG FF 182
Does the megane manifold fit the 182 head as I could get a 3" pipe straight off that and have it round to where the air box is, could save some money on manufacturing the manifold

340i
Does the megane manifold fit the 182 head as I could get a 3" pipe straight off that and have it round to where the air box is, could save some money on manufacturing the manifold
Yes it does, but you cannot run the standard 172 inlet with it.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
To use the whole 225 engine your issues will be management and driveshafts.

Driveshafts would be the biggest issue I'm guessing? I was reading a thread the other day where you were talking about engine management. That's way above me but I guess it would be an easier problem to fix than the driveshafts?

BG FF 182
For the whole engine it's, custom mounts, drive shaft, management, relocating brake cylinder, drive shafts, getting gearbox to fit under, clutch is hydraulic, steer rack has epas I think and few other things

172 cup, Impreza P1

as in the megane log manifold into a 3" pipe routed to somewhere else in the bay. Not the most efficient way in going boost either.

The megane cast manifold and turbo fouls on the coil pack tray but it also fouls on the breather outlet. This could be modified though.

So custom inlet and modified breather outlet would make the megane turbo setup work IMO.

BG FF 182
as in the megane log manifold into a 3" pipe routed to somewhere else in the bay. Not the most efficient way in going boost either.

The megane cast manifold and turbo fouls on the coil pack tray but it also fouls on the breather outlet. This could be modified though.

So custom inlet and modified breather outlet would make the megane turbo setup work IMO.
Sounds like a good plan to have a custom inlet, might look into that too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Does 197 inlet fit under the bonnet and is it a direct fit ?

Does 197 fit under bonnet?
Ph1, not without cutting a lot of bonnet undersides away.
Ph2, yes although you might want to put a couple of well placed dents for clearance

Does 197 head fit?
Yes, with minor tweaks as above

Does 197 inlet fit 182 head?
Not really as the ports are too different.