ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R turbo engine

Sunflower PH1
Hi can anyone confirm that a 5speed 172/182 gearbox will fit the F4R turbo engine found in the laguna or megane ? ,i take it the blocks are the same etc

Black 197
Different box i believe, the box on the 225 is a bit bigger from what i've read on here..

Could be wrong though so dont quote me

Sunflower PH1
ok so i'll need to use the 6 spd box which is cable linkage,i take it theres no other smaller 5spd gearbox with a matching bellhousing to the F4Rt

Sunflower PH1
Another option maybe would be to use my 182 engine block and transfer all engine internals into it from the turbo engine and use standard g/box etc,its for a turbo conversion i'm doing by the way

Ph1
Another option maybe would be to use my 182 engine block and transfer all engine internals into it from the turbo engine and use standard g/box etc,its for a turbo conversion i'm doing by the way

If it was that easy there wouldnt be such a thing as a 6k Ktec turbo conversion ;)

Sunflower PH1
got the engine/box out today and removed the gearbox,as mentioned i now see the different bolt pattern,i really dont want to try and fit the 6spd box but dont know wether to try and get the block drilled and tapped to accept the 182 gearbox or strip and use the internals in the 182 block,either way i'm going to make it work somehow

R5 GTT
I know a bloke on rtoc who has got the 225 engine into the r5 and used a 172 box I believe he has fettled the block / drill and tap

Sunflower PH1
thats interesting to know its been done,i had a good look at both bottom ends today and see no reason why if done right it wouldn't work,they're not that different

Sunflower PH1
well yeh thats another concern,time will tell,at least i can get replacements cheap enough and easily enough if needed

BMW M135i
will do with a diff upgrade..
And that changes the strengh of the box on a whole how?

The gearset/bearings and general design just isn't up to the job/intended to withstand turbo levels of torque, theres a reason they use the ND0 box on the "proper" F4RT lumps. The design is antique and wasn't really designed to run standard 1*2 levels of power really, although they'll last fine if treated correctly.

well i'm going on experience and what bernie at CPS told me..that the box was fine for road use once the diff which was the weak point was eliminated.
he said the box was strong enough when rebuilt properly unless running slicks..

has been fine so far..

Sunflower PH1
to be honest we get asked for and or sell far more 6speed boxes than 172/182 boxes,obviously thats without them running with a turbo right enough

Sunflower PH1
Just to confirm on the turbo f4r i've removed the flywheel and you can quite clearly see they've used the same block and just extanded the mouth and sump to fit the larger 6sp box,i've swapped the sump for the 182 one plus flywheel & clutch and offered the 5 speed 182 box up to it and marked the holes to be drilled and tapped,after taking my time drilling and tapping the block the outcome is it all fits without a problem,i'll probably not trim off the inch or so sticking out around the gearbox incase it eats the gearbox regularly and i need to fit the 6spd in the future,thanks