ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F3P and K4M engine questions?.

Clio 172
Can anyone tell me if the alternator setup from an F3P laguna 8V engine will fit my ph1 172 if i go down the air conn delete route?

And are any of the parts from a 2.0 16v K4M compatible, mainly the rocker cover and breather cover ( the breather has no hole for the inlet plenum so would be ideal for a ITB setup in the future)?.

The local scrappy has loads of renaults in just now with this scrappage scheme going on!.

ValverInBits
F3P was also fitted to MK1s. that's all the help I have afraid. Best to speak to whiteley or f0xy.

If you want to loose power steering AND air con, get the brackets from a bog spec Mk1 Clio....its just a bracket that bolts to the block and an arm that holds the alternator.

If you want to keep the power steering, and just loose the air con only, get the alternator brackets from a 172 Cup (ph2)

EDIT: Also, the K4m bracket might fit (you'd just have to check if the mounting holes on the front of the block are in the same place). Weather the power steering pump is the same shape/mount onto the bracket im not sure!

M

mini-valver

K4M is a 1600. The breather plate fits but it has the oil breather hole. 182's dont so you could use that.

ITB'd MK1
F3P in a laguna has same brackets as a 172 cup.

182 breather plate is totally different shape, it's about 3 inches longer for a start

M

mini-valver

Wut? 182 breather plate will fit a ph1 and doesnt have the breather outlet so he could use it for ITB's.

Thats how I understood the question anyway......

Clio 172
Thanks folks, This is the K4M i was talking about from a Y plate looks very similar to the 172.

Sideways would i need the cup alternator or will the lacuna one fit?.
4153527153_8bea8e74c6_b.png

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
You need to run a new wire from fuse box or tap into 12v feed that is live on ignition only, which iirc goes to middle connection of the F3P alternator. The other two connections on the alternator are as follows small one for the warning light on dash,large on is the output to the battery.
Im running F3P alternator set up on my ph1. It involves moving your original pas
pump-which means having some new pipes made up or carefully re-shaping the originals. Belt from F3P non-aircon model, or 172 cup belt(same part I imagine)

Clio 172
Thats great Lewvr6 thanks for that, You got any pics of the set up in place and the modified pipes?

Clio 172
Ok went and got the parts at the weekend is this all i need below for the conversion and which wire does what on the alternator below. It has 2 small wire and the positive battery wire, also noticed a spade connector in the middle?.

My 172 just has 1 small wire and battery cable so whats the difference?.
The laguna alternator
4169178526_1872deca6d_b.png

The Laguna brackets
4168416155_0caefda3b1_b.png

4168415727_b057469239_b.png

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
As in my above post mate, the 2 connectors on laguna alternator... 1=warning light on dash(this is what the small one is on your 172 alternator) 2=you need to run a 12v feed to (thats only live on ignition) and is not needed on 172 alternator hence you need to put one in. Big wire is battery feed.

Not sure if your laguna alternator is identical to mine (i got mine off an f3p laguna-also same as mk1 clio rsi). Anyhow if you look head on at the wire side of the alternator...mine has the big connector (M8 iirc) for battery on the far right. Then two smaller conectors left of that (M6 ish i think!) The small connector on the right (so middle position of the 3) is my 12v ignition live feed, and the left is the existing wire to the dash(was connected to 172 alternator) you may need to change it from a spade end to a ringlet? Can't remember off top of my head if its critical which way round these 2 actually go but mine is wired as above and has been problem free and running for a year.

Hope this makes sense and helps! Let me know if you need further help. Its easy enough, i found it much easier with the front bumper off in the end-its a tight space if not.

Last edited:
  Ph1 172, Leon cupra
.......oh NOW I can see your alternator pic (iphone=rubbish), your laguna alternator looks identical to mine if a little cleaner! I cant see the spade connector you mention but i seem to remember mine having an unused spade connector on it (will check tommorow). My wiring description above should make sense if you look at your pic. Even the chopped wires from the smaller connectors on yours are the same colours as my cut off wires (from laguna), so wiring should be right for yours too.

Good luck, it is worth the effort mine noticably picked up revs faster and was happier to rev top end. Plus beats paying silly money for 'cup' parts too!

Clio 172
Ah thats great thanks just one more silly question, Which wire is which(colours i mean) on the laguna alternator?.
From your desc i make it the yellow = 12v supply green = dash wire.

Got the whole lot for £15 down the local scrappy so pretty happy with that just hope the alternator is a good un.

Standard 8v laguna belt right?.

Massive thanks for your help!!.

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Yeh thats it yellow 12v and green dash light. As for the belt i just asked for a 1.8 8v laguna non-aircon, but pas model. 6pk 1125 i think, 6pk means 6 ribbed bits and 1125 im pretty means the length.