ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extremely poor radio reception??

In between cars....
Hi guys

Have the standard headunit and cd changer in my 172

The radio reception is absolutely atrocious, majority of the time it struggles to find any radio stations, get a bit out of the town and the signal quickly goes crackly and is lost, whys that?

Is there anything i can do to get a better signal? Any boosters on the market for car aerials to sort it out?

Chocolate Bar™
if you have the standard aerial on the roof, you should be getting good reception. it sounds silly, have you checked it is actually screwed in tight as mine has a habit of working loose and giving me f all reception.

otherwise could check the connection into the back of the headunit?

In between cars....
Ill chop up a coat hanger and wip the head unit out tomorrow, check the connection is ok and that, hopefully thatll be it

It is the bog standard aerial to :(

since I put on my CTR aerial I can't find many radio connections :(

Need to pull my headunit out when it stops raining and have a check aswell!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
i had this problem, turned out to be that the connection just under the head lining had been cut an then bodged back together for some reason :S.
owell it works now, but gonna replace the whole wire soon i think, just to b safe

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
err ... undo the back centre seat belt an there a plastic like screw just to the right as you look in an pull down, the cable goes round to the right an then down to the front, mine was cut just along the boot run if you know what i mean

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I had to buy a new base in the end on my cup. They have some circuitry in the base of the unit on the roof..... not sure weather it fucked up or not? I tried everything first, making sure it was propely grounded etc. New base fixed it. Not dear eaither off memory

Clio
Slightly off topic - but does anyone have a blaupunkt DAB radio attachment or know if they're any good?

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Any update on this. I too have crap reception in my 172. Can't be without my moyles in the morning.

Any update on this. I too have crap reception in my 172. Can't be without my moyles in the morning.
Make sure that the roof aeriel is proper tight, pull down the roof lining to to check that it's not loose, if you've got an after market one or a cut down one I could be that. If you need to buy an aeriel base they are about £20 from a stealers. Apart from that you could check the radio end of it, but it's probs not that.

Apart from checking that lot I can't think of anything else.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Radio end is ok I think. I'll get a multimeter out tonight and see what the condition of the wires are like or if they have any breaks in them.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
never worked out why my clio radio reception was so poor! it was even worse with the rear window heater on!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Read my post!!!!

Think the base is amped...... it gets damp etc. Just buy a new one from Renault. Not that expensive £20 ish?. Comes with new base and the lead to the radio. Make sure its for an RS though as its different to the non RS (ariel is less of an angle so not to hit the spoiler)
Just needs routing down the drivers side cable tray. 100% fix.

Storm Grey 200
I cut my ariel down and it hasnt worked proper since, being a cheapskate ftl, having an ipod ftw

PH1 172 Sport
There was a link but they've updated their product range and its no longer on their site. I'll try hunt down another link