ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Expert Advice Needed - Starting and Cutting Out Problem

Need a bit of help please, did a search, but this problem lends itself to one or more issues...

My wifes car is having problems starting and ticking over.
"S" Reg 1.2 RT Clio 8v.

1) Prior to this problem whilst driving the car would jump / jerk violently
Have replaced the plugs and check the leads, all OK.

2) She went for petrol the other day and couldn't restart the car. Luckily the garage mechanic was free at the time and happened to have another Renault Clio (in for a head gasket). First of all the mechanic changed the following parts from the clio he had already in the garage:
a) Coil pack - Still wouldn't start
b) TDC sensor ? (located near the gearbox - banana shaped bracket) - Still wouldn't start.
He then checked to see if there was a spark at the plug - No spark, which meant it's an immobiliser problem. Quite a strong possibility as the RF sensor (by the rear view mirror, had a leaking problem and the car will not lock using the "pip" on the key).

Right so need I needed to re-set the immobiliser, used information from this page to re-set: http://renaulthelp.110mb.com/ImmBypass.html#

Finally got the car started and left it idling for a bit and the revs went up and down, but stayed "alive" until all of a sudden the engine cut out and wouldn't restart. We are planning to take it to Renault but we can't get it started, can't tow it (as the towing eye will not screw into the towing hole due to the thread rusting, it's looks like the eye has never been used). So we're in bit of a pickle.

I need help from the Forum Experts on this one, as I'm not to firmiliar with Clio's at all... It looks like this is a very common problem with this type of clio and the more information posted the more it will help out someone else with a similar problem, as it is really frustating and can be costly (@ Renault). Please Help :dapprove:.

M@tt.

M

mini-valver

Does it start ok from cold? Then an absolute pig to drive or start when its warm?

Does it start ok from cold? Then an absolute pig to drive or start when its warm?

No it does not start from cold. Although playing around with it yesterday got it to start, but didn't tick over for long. The revs kept dipping until eventually the car stalled and could not restart it.

Thanks for your reply mini-valver.

M@tt.

Last edited:
  TTRS & V50
No it does not start from cold. Although playing around with it yesterday got it to start, but didn't tick over for long. The revs kept dipping until eventually the car stalled and could not restart it.

Im getting this proplem on my 172, its not quite so extreme, but when starting the car, the revs dip immediately and cut it out, so when starting i have to give it some throttle. then it idles ok, just.

Sound like a right c**t revving my car when starting up.

Cant give you any advise, sorry.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Does the central locking work when you press the key?
Is the immobiliser light flashing when the ignition is on?

Let me know.

Does the central locking work when you press the key?
Is the immobiliser light flashing when the ignition is on?

Let me know.

No the central locking doesn't work, but it's not work since we had the car, so it might not be that...and it has run OK until now.

The immobiliser light flashes, until the key is turned so the warning lights come on, on the dash, stays on for about 2 secs and then goes off and stays off.

Matt.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
There could be many reasons why it doesn't start and without doing a diagnostic check I could be leading you up the garden path. However, it might just be worth checking the relays and connectors in the plastic box under the bonnet on the n/s inner wing. Take the cover off, check ALL the fuses found in there. Remove and refit each relay (ONE AT A TIME) so you don't put it back in the wrong place and disconnect then reconnect the white plug found at the bottom of the box (obvious when you look for it.) It might just be a bad connection. Lets hope it is. Other than that, it looks like you will have to get a dealer to look at it or find someone with a scanner tool.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Regards

Bob

Thanks BobRTE, will try those...

Does anyone know if the problem could actually be the car's battery, it's just that I tried jump leads today and the leads burn out the minute they were connected!!! Just doesn't make sense....

M@tt.