ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Expensive Volvo 340 Day

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Scene.

IMG_2355.JPG

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Disappointing day today on the 340.

Set off with craig to get the carbs set up and detect a blow from the exhaust. No biggy. Drive a little further and can smell coolant -check under the bonnet and there appears to be a small leak from on of the hoses as the back of the engine - again no major issue.

Get to bogg brothers and some mystical old carb guru comes out, sprays the inlet manifold with carb cleaner, detects a leak and tells us to come back when it's done!

So half a tank of juice and 3hrs later my carbs aren't set up and I have three new leaks!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That's not what you need, but you can't argue with the bogg brothers!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Kudos to @craigyt ? After today's disappointment he got on and sorted the issues out straight away.

Turns out the inlet manifold wasn't very flat - hence the leak!

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

Silver bits are the high spots.

IMG_2402.JPG

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Video of craig righting the wrongs!

The guy from bogg brothers was nice enough to give us some gasket paper so craig made a template and cut it out.

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

Then back on the car and all the carbs buttoned up!

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Another day and another trip to bogg brothers!

IMG_2474.JPG

Unfortunately it was more disappointment! Despite our best efforts the manifold was still blowing so had to come away again.

On the way home the car was running like s**t but found the reason why when I got home.

IMG_2475.JPG

Pretty sure those gaps aren't indicative to good running! Think mr bogg must have dislodged them slightly when tinkering!

Anyway, new plan is to take the manifold to a shop and then rebuild it all from th bottom up with a genuine gasket and see how that goes.

IMG_2477.JPG

106 rallye
  PH2 172
The runners have beads on the ends so wont come off. Iv never had yhe carbs off at that end so either bogg has been messing or they havent been tight enough from the start as iv never checked that end!!!!
Sorry, I`m not familiar with the term runners. Please explain.
The red hoses used as inlet rubbers appear to be just plain radiator hose chopped to length.

106 rallye
The runners are the pieces of tube on the inlet manifold that the silicone joiners slip over. These have a bead on them so the silicone shouldnt slide off

PH2 172
The runners are the pieces of tube on the inlet manifold that the silicone joiners slip over. These have a bead on them so the silicone shouldnt slide off

Not a commonly used term, but you are correct.
This is what I had in mind, with a proper lip to locate the carb.
untitled (3).png

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Mr Bogg is metal. He set the carbs in my old westfield. Made 160bhp on the dyno with no straps on it!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Well, after having the manifold for a week they have told me they can't do it as it won't fit in the vice! So, time for plan b.

Also sold the front shocks I bought as they weren't low enough and now looking into coilovers. Now the 340 is sat on axle stands on the drive.

Neighbour from hell.