ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Expensive New Toy :)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
well i finally bit the bullet and got my upgrade, helped having a birthday to put money towards it. cant wait to give it a good test out, need to practice with it as im shooting a wedding next weekend :eek: lol, got £125 off as my mate is a manager at jessops :cool:

ps sorry for s**te pics just snapped them in crap light but you get the idea lol

7d1.jpg

7d2.jpg

anyways ASW over lol will get some pics up soon :)

James

1.2 Dynamique billabong
lol there are loads to list but the main are

18 megapixel
19 point AF
dual d4 processors
iso 100 to 128,000
HD movie mode full 1080p at 25fps or 50fps at 720p (so can be used for slow motion)
Live view
built in wireless flash transmitter
digital spirit level

see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/ for more details etc

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice but jessops? There are a few places which sell it for an easy 25% cheaper...What did you pay and what the lens?

1.2 Dynamique billabong
nope there arent places that sell it cheaper other than importing it, but then you get import tax so works out the same and is a risk you wont see it. plus there is hardly any stock available. the cheapest price on http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1170.html is £1248 body only, i picked it up for £1125 body only. i spent ages shopping around first, i would never normally buy stuff from jessops but with my mates discount it turned out to be the cheapest

already had the lens, that is a canon 28-135 IS USM

James

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Digitalrev are doing it for 1083 delivered to the UK, and any charges accrued you get back from them. For the sake of 50 quid it isnt worth it though, but when I bought my 40d 2 years ago, I saved nearly 40%!
So whats the Video like?

Cupra
Awesome camera. I was so tempted to go for the 7 over the 5 but impatience got the better of me and I went for the 5 after all, it was also cheaper which sealed the deal!

Look forward to seeing your shots with it. 8 FPS too... that could be fun!

Canon are supposed to be upgrading the 5D firmware to give it the same video capabilities of the 7 at some stage, but there is no sign of it just yet. I have been blown away but the quality though. My camcorder hardly sees the light of day these days.

Ian

Focus TDCi
nice upgrade! I have no idea when it comes to Canon, is this a full frame camera?

Nah it's a crop camera, but it's sort of equivalent to the 5D mark II (which is a full frame camera). Basically you'd go for the 7D for wildlife/motorsport etc and the 5D mark II for portrait etc. Obviously not set rules, but that's just the way it tends to be.

I can't make my mind up between the two, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it James! Nice purchase. :)

Oil Burner
I will be very interested to hear what you have to say about it and see some pics. Its got slightly mixed reviews, but some of the images ive seen off it look stunning as does the Full HD Filming.

Enjoy it

1.2 Dynamique billabong
cheers guys, its been shitty grey drizzle all day, snapped these in the 5 minutes it stopped before the sun went down but they are a bit crap :(, hopefully if the weather is better tomorrow i can try it out properly. the 19 point AF is a bit mental after only having 7 on the 10d lol

7dsnap.jpg

7dsnap2.jpg

"Navy" N17 TWO
Lovely new toy Jim, test-pics look good so far and no doubt there's better to come :)

Am I actually saying this to a Canon boy? :eek:

7D has visable noise at iso 100 too many pixels in too small a space

Nah it's a crop camera, but it's sort of equivalent to the 5D mark II (which is a full frame camera). Basically you'd go for the 7D for wildlife/motorsport etc and the 5D mark II for portrait etc. Obviously not set rules, but that's just the way it tends to be.

I can't make my mind up between the two, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it James! Nice purchase. :)

Jim you will love it. Next door neighbour buys cameras like I buy petrol. 5D, 5D mrk2, now 7D with the mk2 as a back up.

Oil Burner
7D has visable noise at iso 100 too many pixels in too small a space

You never seem to have anything good to say about anyone else.

The 7d being a modern crop sensor, tightly packed pixels on a small sensor is the name of the game. From what i've seen its better than the D300s, which is its only direct competitor.

Ian

Focus TDCi
All the reports I've seen say that Canon have managed to match, if not better, previous noise performance of the likes of the 50d etc, so not sure where that's come from..? Can't say I've noticed it in any photos I've seen.

Last edited:
its my opinion I don't think the 7D has the best IQ particularly with its noise characteristics. If someone posts about 7D Vs 5D2 I'm always going to go with the 5D2. While the 7D has a better AF system, more focus points, faster FPS than the 40D, the 40D has better IQ. I just don't rate the 7D for IQ there is nothing wrong with that.

You never seem to have anything good to say about anyone else.

The 7d being a modern crop sensor, tightly packed pixels on a small sensor is the name of the game. From what i've seen its better than the D300s, which is its only direct competitor.

Oil Burner
its my opinion I don't think the 7D has the best IQ particularly with its noise characteristics. If someone posts about 7D Vs 5D2 I'm always going to go with the 5D2. While the 7D has a better AF system, more focus points, faster FPS than the 40D, the 40D has better IQ. I just don't rate the 7D for IQ there is nothing wrong with that.

It just seems that nearly everyone of your posts contains some sort of put down. The OP didnt ask about 7d v's 5d2, and as you point out there are lots of reasons why the 7d is a stunning camera.

The overall frame performance is better than the 40d, albeit perhaps not making the leaps and bounds the 40d did over the 30d even if the 100% crops dont hold up to noise quite so well. However for the OP probably doesnt wish to spend £££ on new glass, so requires a crop sensor. Besides the 1dmkiii the 7d is the best Crop sensor camera canon make currently. Its the obvious choice in his shoes.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
^^ cheers buddy was thinking the same.

the reason i went for the 7d over the 5dmk2 was that i shoot a reasonable amount of motorsport stuff and for me the extra focal length from a crop sensor is an advantage. Also i am moving more into moving image with learning adobe after effects and using things like actions essentials 2 for video special effects. The 7d offers slightly more control in the video mode. also i have been using a 10d for the last 5 year so anything which means i can shoot over 800iso and get useable images is great

cheers
James

renault clio
My mum's just bought the same camera, I think she's really pleased with it, just shown her your photo and she reckons she knows the horse!! Lol turns out she noticed your location and said yea those horses are turned out along the motorway going into reading, please tell me she's wrong!! She's looking at buying some glass for it next as she says her old lens isnt good enough so may well be picking your brains on her behalf, I just wish she'd let me get my grubby mitts on it.

Nice camera mate.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
yep thats the place mate, the field is pretty close to my house, there are like 100 of them that appear there every 6 months or so. i wouldnt be surprised if they get shipped off to france as burgers to be honest :(

renault clio
Damn I hate it when she's right apparently they're used for pantomimes, but reckon the burgers are more like it, just dont tell mum she's a little horse mad lol, am hoping she's gna let me use camera to take pics of her riding at weekend but she's being very selfish with it.

dk

911 GTS Cab
nice camera, looks like a higher specced 50d really.

i thought camera equipment was going up in price, my 50d 15 months ago was £1200 i think, but then i suppose it did come with the 17-85IS, not that i've used it, couldn't source a body only before i went on my trip so was tied to the kit.

People seemed to slate the 50d for the same thing when it came out with its 15mp but i have not noticed an issue with noise at all or IQ when using decent glass, some people are just too anal and want to find a fault even if its not there as they don't have the camera i think.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Awesome choice James!

Still have the clio? Not seen it about for agesss!