ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Whistle

Just got a 172 mk1

its done 35k & the engine feels really tight, On the very top end of the rev band the exhaust makes a whistling noise.

This feels like it is restricting the engine can anyone help ?

Will a decat make it free reving & how much power does it add ?

the early MK1 cats are not that restrictive and decats will gain a bit, nothing drastic.

as for the whistle......describe in more detail, where from, can u hear it outside/inside the car, you sure its not teh intake?

The whistle sounds like it is coming from the exhuast, but it may be from the engine bay.

the car revs cleanly but for the last 1000 rpm you get a low whistling noise.

I drove a mk1 172 a day earlier before driving this one and it revved more freely on the last 2000 rpm with no whistling noise. But it was slow unitil the last 2000 rpm.

I have only heard a whistling noise like this once before & that was on a 1988 pug 309 gti.

Do these 172s run best on super unleaded or 95, what is the easiest way to make it free revving & gain mods.

Is there anywher why i can find results of tuning ?

Cheers Jonathon

if they are loose/jammed/squashed (made of a fibre) then it will hinder you and possibly make a noise....

if it was teh exhaust it would blow and make a farty noise rather than a whistle.

unless you are moving fast and have teh window ajar or something silly like that.

mines makes a rattle at the last revs , a bit like a exhaust heat shield thats a bit lose nothing major it still pulls like a b*****d but still come to think of it
it does sound a bit like a whistle noise
mine has 37k