ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Problems....YOUR ADVICE NEEDED :)

DCi 80 DieselSport
Hi Guys,

Please bare with me, I'd really like some advice on where I stand.

About a year ago I took my totally standard 172 Cup for a new exhaust. I shopped around for a while and got a quote of £190 from a local garage for a standard non-genuine cat-back system. At the time I did think it was a bit too good to be true but went with it.

The system came with a 2-year warrantee from the garage.

So I go along and get it fitted. All is fine for a while.....then I start to notice a banging.

Turns out the weld that connected the hanger to the backbox had failed allowing the backbox to swing into my rear strut.

So....I take it back and it's replaced under warrantee.

A few months later the same happens again.....I get it changed under warrantee again.

This brings us up to the present day.....where it's happening AGAIN.

I've had everything else checked and the car passed its MOT last weekend with an advisory on the exhaust.

So, I now find myself in the position where I go back AGAIN and get it replaced AGAIN....however I'm at a point now where I think I've proved the product is clearly sub-standard and was going to get some proper advise as to where I stand.

Am I within my rights to demand a better (stainless) replacement for no extra charge?

What do you lot reckon?

Regards.

DCi 80 DieselSport
Or....is a question of I've brought a crap product and should've got a better one in the first place?

E36 M3. 182
So what? Its only an exhaust. Yes, you possibly should have bought a better one in the first place, but dont feel that theyve got you over a barrel for the sake of 'warranty' on a £200 piece of metal pipe. If you know someone that can weld, let them loose on it!! Saves having the thing rattling about under your car........

I can probably guess exactly which exhaust has been fitted lol. I had one on the ph-1 when I bought it and it did exactly the same thing. Mate also bought a ph-2 with the same exhaust and yes, his cracked in the exact same place too.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair to the exhaust supplier, they've addressed all quality issues as and when you've raised a grievance.

In that respect they're doing nothing wrong at all.

To expect a stainless exhaust when you paid for and have had a lower spec mild steel one is unreasonable...you get what you pay for.

People are missing the point of the thread. Yes, he should have bought a stainless one. However...

In the UK buying cheap you should expect lower quality but it is still, by law, required to function for a "reasonable" length of time. Yes he should buy a higher quality product but in the mean time surely it is not unreasonable to expect a refund (I know the law states repair or replacement is the minimum a retailor has to offer, but this is the third time...) which he can then put towards the cost of a stainless.

If you buy a Hyundai or even a Clio over a German car costing twice as much you expect it to be lower quality but you still expect it to work for a reasonable length of time. 3 months, if fitted correctly, is not a reasonable length of time!

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
People are missing the point of the thread. Yes, he should have bought a stainless one. However...

In the UK buying cheap you should expect lower quality but it is still, by law, required to function for a "reasonable" length of time. Yes he should buy a higher quality product but in the mean time surely it is not unreasonable to expect a refund (I know the law states repair or replacement is the minimum a retailor has to offer, but this is the third time...) which he can then put towards the cost of a stainless.

If you buy a Hyundai or even a Clio over a German car costing twice as much you expect it to be lower quality but you still expect it to work for a reasonable length of time. 3 months, if fitted correctly, is not a reasonable length of time!

Agreed...except that's not what they OP asked. I think you've missed the point of this thread.

He didn't ask "could I get a refund?" or "could I carry value over to a higher spec stainless exhaust?".

He asked if he could get a stainless exhaust as a direct replacement for the mild steel one he paid for.

Unless I missed something.

Clio 172 Phase 1
So, I now find myself in the position where I go back AGAIN and get it replaced AGAIN....however I'm at a point now where I think I've proved the product is clearly sub-standard and was going to get some proper advise as to where I stand.

Am I within my rights to demand a better (stainless) replacement for no extra charge?

What do you lot reckon?

Regards.

Ayeeee Markcup ;)

Just ask them outright mate if you went for a stainless would they knock off the price of the s**t exhaust or at least some money off.

DCi 80 DieselSport
Cheers guys.

I'll go back and say something can't be right and each replacement (however cheap it may be) isn't lasting a reasonable amount of time. I'm not gonna be a cnut about it but I'll ask if they'd knock some money off a stainless if I get it through them (which is still giving them business).