ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Mounts on 172

A4 Avant & A3
I've been getting some dodgy noises coming from my car for a while now, mainly when turning the engine off.

I've just had a little look at the exhaust & the below pics are of the exhaust mount next to the back box..

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks to me like it's slight... Knackered!

I take it these parts can be bought pretty cheaply? & are they easy to replace?
Or is it best to take it to an exhaust place & get it done.

MountPic1

MountPic2

mini cooper (RIP 172)
yep its fucked, cost about £20

just bolts on/off

but will be hard to do if not on a ramp, you can do it tho;)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Do not buy a new one, the same will happen in no time.

Buy an oval type mount for around 50p, cut the old one out of the square mount, slot in the new oval and cable tine in place. Job done.

A4 Avant & A3
Hmmm thats'll explain the banging noises then lol!!!..

thought it didn't look right.

£20!!! blimey.. that from renault only then is it?

The 50p option is the better option is it?... where would i get this 50p oval mount?? & do you just get the old bit of rubber out & whack the new peice in then cable tie it up? sounds slightly iffY??

titanic killer
Mine went to after fitting new ss system as above i got a couple oval ones and cable tied it doesnt move an inch

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Hmmm thats'll explain the banging noises then lol!!!..

thought it didn't look right.

£20!!! blimey.. that from renault only then is it?

The 50p option is the better option is it?... where would i get this 50p oval mount?? & do you just get the old bit of rubber out & whack the new peice in then cable tie it up? sounds slightly iffY??
It sure is. Any motor factors should sell a range of mounts. Just find one that looks about the right size. It's much stronger than the standard mount, trust me.

Lots of Alfas
Do not buy a new one, the same will happen in no time.

Buy an oval type mount for around 50p, cut the old one out of the square mount, slot in the new oval and cable tine in place. Job done.

Its a good idea, but on that exhaust the metal bracket around the box looks like its on the brink of snapping off, The renault mounts allow for lots of movement and an easy ride on the exhaust. Its also advisable to change the middle mount at the same time.

Rear bracket 7700424339 £17.35 plus vat
Centre mount 7700424341 £6.50 plus vat

A4 Avant & A3
^^ brink of snapping off.. don't say things like that....

how come you should change the middle one?? i got a feeling i had one replaced during the cars service a few months back.. i take it, it wasn't the one thats just gone again lol!!

Lots of Alfas
^^ brink of snapping off.. don't say things like that....

how come you should change the middle one?? i got a feeling i had one replaced during the cars service a few months back.. i take it, it wasn't the one thats just gone again lol!!

Lol, well its a good idea to replace the middle, if you just replace the one at the rear with a new (or stiff modified) mount the old one in the middle will be more worn and slack causing more stress on the exhausts weeksport. My bracket was coming loose so payed mr tyre £5 to put some extra welds on it.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
My centre mount was a new Renault item but it still had too much slack in it. It now has a large jubilee clip formed to follow the shape of the mount cable tied around it. I can loosen or tighten the jubilee clip to the exact position I want setting the height accordingly. Job done.

Trophy #267
Can this thread be made a sticky ? Ha dsame issue and was about to go buy a new mount from Renault when I saw the pic Day posted.
15 mins rolling on the floor later at home and I had done the same :D
Altho my hosepipe is a smaller diameter than the one Day used so I put 2 pieces at the bottom, 1 at the sides. Altho that pic looks as tho yours has something metallic inside the hose ?

Attachments

• exhaust mount cropped.jpg
    exhaust mount cropped.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited: