ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Confusion?

Just recently bought a back box and pipe. it says its a direct fit but the exhaust on my car looks like its never ever been replaced. is there a difference in the exhausts between being on the car from new and like having a new one put on at a garage from suppliers.

ill go take a photo and post it , the backbox on the car is straight to the cat. the back box iv bought is a sniper performance back box , says its direct fit and the pipe i got with it attatches to the back of it then has the bend in it but thats it , looks like i need to grind and weld the original

Clio 172
ill go take a photo and post it , the backbox on the car is straight to the cat. the back box iv bought is a sniper performance back box , says its direct fit and the pipe i got with it attatches to the back of it then has the bend in it but thats it , looks like i need to grind and weld the original

If i've understood what your saying then this should answer your question,

On alot of cars the standard exhaust (Backbox to cat) comes in one piece as it is fitted before the rear axle/beam is bolted in place, therefore aftermarket/replacements come in mutiple parts so that you can fit it around the beam instead of having to drop it.

To fit that one you'll need to cut the old exhaust so that you can get it off then presuming you have the right hangers etc you should be able to just clamp the new one together no need to weld. does it go all the way back to the cat? i cant really tell from the picture. If you can get a picture including the full length of the bent pipe i should be able to advise you, i fitted something similar to a mates car.

Yeah thats what i was meaning. wasnt very clear how i typed it. But the bent pipe is basically the length it is the photo. it wont reach any where near the cat. but to fit will i just need to cut the original and clamp the ney setup on to it. or will it need welded ?

Thanks for the advise though

Cheers

Clio 172
Yeah thats what i was meaning. wasnt very clear how i typed it. But the bent pipe is basically the length it is the photo. it wont reach any where near the cat. but to fit will i just need to cut the original and clamp the ney setup on to it. or will it need welded ?

Thanks for the advise though

Cheers

You'll be fine to just clamp it mate, i'd imagine it will have pre-cut slots into the end to allow it to clamp, similar to this:

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/images/catalogues/customparts/u068900large.jpg

even if not its just a case of cutting two slots opposite each other.

I done one similar to this on a mates car (Near enough the same just a twin pipe back box) start by building up your new exhaust then measure the length of the new exhaust from end to end (use string if you find it easier) then deduct approx 2" from the length so that it leaves enough pipe to slot into the new exhaust, for example if the new exhaust is 40" from end to end, mark the old exhaust at the 38" point and cut it there, then its just a case of slotting it all together and clamping it (Sorry if i've gone abit over kill mate i just thought its easier to explain fully when i dont know your level of experiance)

Cheers, No you havent went over kill mate. If anything you have helped me out alot. Now that i know what to do i should hopefully have the exhaust fitted soon after christmas and new year. Hopefully geta video as well to post up on here to see how it sounds and looks , hopefully good though.