ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Baffle Failure/ Dealer Dilemma...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Hi guys, right had the 182 3 months now.

Before i picked the car up certain work was done on the car, i.e the following >

Cambelt Change
Service
New Exhaust from the cat back as the baffle had failed on the old one after they MOT'd it.

This morning i started it and there was a rattling coming from the centre section, i fear the baffle has gone again, in around 3 months and 2300 miles. Anyway, phoned the dealer (it happens to be a Honda Dealer in Ayrshire) anyway and they reckon there is a 12 month warranty on any parts changed from date of purchase, thats absolutley fine.

What i did notice about this new exhaust system is its not the one that leaves the factory with (the double skinned back boxes etc) what it appears to be is an aftermarket one, its a little louder than standard but standard to Joe Public none the less.

Is this argument a valid one should they start trying to be lemon about it, i.e pleading wear and tear etc?

Surley as its not the one that comes from Renault i should be able to state that should this become a big argument/hassle?

Im waiting for the branch manager to phone me tomorrow to see if i can have it looked at at a local branch (that branch is a 50 mile round trip)

Whats the best plan of attack?

Regards!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If its got a 12m parts warranty on it, they send it back, supplier supplies a new one, they fit it, you drive off.

Simples. x

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I suspect/hope thats the case Dan, i just know from previous experience of AC they will try their hardest to wriggle their way free of any sort of liability!

I want to make sure i cover all bases.

Can anyone tell me off hand how much a standard 182 exhaust is from the cat back?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
pics of this mickey mouse system?

Bare with me Fred and ill get some, its not so much a mickey mouse system as i had my old man with me to inspect the quality of it once the work was done, hes a mechanic so pretty clued up.

Also, the car made decent power on live RR so im not sceptical over its performance! Im just not happy its rattling and making a bloddy annoying noise :(

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sorry, the quality isnt up to much (piece of s**t iPhail)

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
lol, ah i see, thats what i thought :eek:

The invoice for this exhaust was circa £450 which is, as i understand it, damn cheaper than an original Renault one....!

I've had a similar problem with my Milltek which still hasn't been sorted, I thought it was a baffle that had gone, however, I had this response from Milltek:

"As the system does not include any baffles/deflector plates in the silencers it is difficult for these to fail."

:S

How does yours sound mate?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It sounds rattly on start up (when cold) but i fear when it gets warm when metal as you know expands, it seems to go away which seems strange as if it were a failed baffle it would rattle the whole time.

Im going to take it to C & C for their opinion before i let Arnold c**t-Face get near it.

2003 Clio 172
Mines a pattern part and its as boomy as fk..........granted its not a 182, its a 172 but still.

Jj

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Strange one Dan, C+C will help you out abit better mate.

It fitted the bumper a lot better than a standard Renault one anyway! ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You tried the actual clamps??

This was my initial thoughts as i know how they can rattle themselves loose, its bloody hard work properly checking it without the use of a ramp :(

Im going down to my exhaust guys tomorrow to see what they reckon, i wouldnt trust anyone else with an exhaust i dont think!

How did you get on with the exhaust, sorted yet?

Also what's this CC place? Still need to get mine sorted so might be worth a shot?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How did you get on with the exhaust, sorted yet?

Also what's this CC place? Still need to get mine sorted so might be worth a shot?

It goes in on Saturday mate. Aye C + C are in hillington estate, really no their stuff, maybe worth getting it booked in, if they dont know it it isnt worth knowing.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
******UPDATE********

Dealer agreed another brand new system shall be fitted lol, result on my part.

Work been done to car since it left the forecourt - £2,467

Danny 1 - Dealer - 0