ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Excessive Oil Consumption? Rebuild?

Renault Sport 172CUP
Hey,

I ve recently bought a 53 clio cup 172, it's covered 77 thousand miles. Since purchasing it i have been constantly putting oil in it. When i bought it, it had covered 72,000. Over the last five thousand i have gone through about 8.0l of 5w/40 Shell at various intervals. In all honestly i do floor it every now and then, but i wouldn't say i drive it excessively hard, 75-80mph on the motorway where most of those miles have been done. I've had a mate follow me and there's no sign at all of any dirty smoke...

This is my first clio and i love it, i've had the cambelt, aux, leads and plugs done so im starting to know where i stand with it if that makes sense? I'd rather rectify this problem if i can instead of flogging it on to the next un suspecting buyer (like me)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could or would be and what would be the best thing to do? My intentions for the car was to use it down at my local track, Castle Coombe. Are they worth rebuilding with say up-rated pistons and valves etc? along with everything else that im guessing that goes with that, seals etc? (i'm no mechanic) I might be completely wrong but if i'm going to spend the money having it rebuilt i may as well try and make it more robust for track use?

Any advice and input would be appreciated :) Live in the Bristol area if anyone is local

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
My 172 had excessive oil consumption which was due to a suspected cracked piston rings.

I didn't find out if that was 100% the cause because I sold it.

Are there any obvious signs of leaks? Check the sump, rocker cover and oil strainer.

Renault Sport 172CUP
Not from what i could see :/ it doesn't leave marks and the under tray was clean when it went in for belts. JackJack who is fred? Sorry i'm new around here :) thanks for response guys.

Dodgy one
Whats it like when cold, Does it show any blue upon a few Revs? And once warm whats it like on the overrun from high revs same again any blue?

I suspect it will show something because 8l is an awful lot of oil to be consuming, Did the car come with any history?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
My 172 used 10 litres in 8000 miles.

If there aren't any leaks then I'd be surprised if you can't see oil coming out the exhaust.

Last edited:
  Renault Sport 172CUP
I live near Bristol (Wotton Under Edge) interested in meeting if you think you could help diagnose, im honestly getting no blue smoke what so ever, even from cold sat on the drive with someone literally feet away from the tail pipe :/ Stupidly enough, i bought the car without any service history, hence the belts etc although they were due anyway. Not noticed any black spots anywhere, and it's cleaned twice a week. Im no expert but i know what im saying doesn't make sense, no smoke, and no drips ... as it's def going somewhere. I have booked it in for an oil service, filter and change, although im guessing this wont cure bugger all?

Ph1
Same boat as me mate although nearly double the mileage.

Best starting point is a leak down or compression test.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just take it to someone off here mate otherwise its going to get right on your nerves. And the love you have now will slowly evaporate lol

You could take a look at the spark plugs - I expect they'll be blacker then normal if it is burning it. Exhaust exit will also be black.

A rebuild is expensive - cheaper to get a second hand engine, but you run the risk of another dog.

You could fit high comp pistons as part of a rebuild but again new pistons will cost more than a second hand engine.