ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

excess weight

clio mk1 ph1
does stripping your car down of all excess weight actually make a differance..

was thinkin of ripping my rear seats out n removin all excess weight but is there any point?

cheers

tiTTy & SV650
a tank of petrol / a passenger can make a noticeable difference so yes u can see a difference.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Its the cheapest way to improve your power to weight ratio. instead of paying for ECU or engine work, making the car lighter is cheapest way to go. Plus, how far do you go? some cars have rear seats removed, Matt's Clio TT is stripped apart from driver's seat and dashboard! The cup is 89Kgs lighter than 172/182 but isn't that much better, as they've had to replace the heavier parts with lighter equivalents...if you wanna be extreme, you'll have to remove carpets, soundproofing, doorcards, seats...leaving nothing in there that doesn't control the car!

Megane225FF
fitkin said:
does stripping your car down of all excess weight actually make a differance..

was thinkin of ripping my rear seats out n removin all excess weight but is there any point?

cheers

yes it will make a difference.

mk1 phase 3
iv stripped my 1.2 clio. does make a difference, haven't done it because of that though. did it because i like the look of it.

MKIII 138
Dave3141 said:
Of course it will. Stick a 1.2 engine in something that weighs fook aall and it will fly.

this man speaks sense.

600cc / 160kg motorbike with 100-110 bhp will rape a car upto 635.03 BHP pertonne

in fact a 650bhp Ferrari Enzo makes 483.84 bhp pertonne

so ok in your 1.2 it wont make a difference like that weight diffo but its a damn sight better doing what a local lad round our way has done, runs a 1.2 with super low suspension (almost Fred low), light 15" wheels, strut braces, no back seats and buckets ok so its not rapid but cornering is pretty s**t hot and its better than doing what every other chaver 1.2/1.4 clio modifer does by sticking a big bore exhaust, open induction cone, and lexus lights on, i give the guy the thumbs up when i see him as i recognise him as a proper car modder who does the best with what he`s got

i say go for it, it can only at worst be experience for when you strip a more powerfuller car :D