ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Euro Road Trip

RB 200
The dates are as follows - 25th Sept to 9th Oct -

Myself and Stu have came up with the idea after seeing this thread; of some clios on a road trip

.. and are going ahead with it ..

wanted to invite you all along .. as the saying goes, the more the merrier!!

heres the info I have so far .. obviously its in the early stages of planning, and once we're further ahead things are bound to change..

Heres the route; but i reckon we'll probably ferry return from hull - brugge

route

Brugge to nurburgring 212 miles

Nurburgring to Auto + Technik museum 151 miles

Auto + Technik Museum to stelvio pass 340 miles

stelvio pass to furka pass 181 miles

furka pass to lake geneve 150 miles

geneve to parc national de la vanoise 157 miles

parc national de la vanoise to torino 72 miles

torino to col de turini 145 miles

col de turini to monoco :D 40 miles

monaco to aix-en-provence 122 miles

aix-en-provence to st etienne 199 miles

st etienne to bourges 197 miles

bourges to le mans 160 miles

le mans to paris 133 miles

paris to brugge 182 miles

APPROX - 2450 MILES :D

so if anyone is up for it.. drop me a PM and we can keep you up to date with the info..

Cheers. James.

340i
I was one of the people on the road trip you read / referenced :)

Just a word of warning though... 'the more the merrier' doesnt really apply, just with 4 cars we found it difficult at times staying together, especially in built up areas, It was so easy to loose each other!

I would say 3-4 car is the limit you would want, just a friendly piece of advice...

It sounds like an awesome trip, I can guarantee it will be 100times better than you can imagine! :D

Qashcow
Everything that Gray said :) you will have an amazing time but I wouldn't do it with more than 6 cars, 4 was enough for us.

Any reason your doing it that way round? I'm not saying it's the worst/best way to do it bit we did the ring last purely because that's the most likely place for crash/breakdowns, I shat a driveshaft out at the ring and managed to limp home, would have been the end of my holiday if it was at the beginning.

I organised the campsites for the trip you have been reading, feel free to ask any questions should you wish.

And what ever you budget for, you'll spend more ;)

Clio
Have yoy checked the opening dates of the Stelvio? Think it closes around end of sept early Oct.

Might be wrong.

340i
Have yoy checked the opening dates of the Stelvio? Think it closes around end of sept early Oct.

Might be wrong.

All weather dependent aswell....

The week before we hit it there was still 8ft of snow on the road, ha!

340i
Check to see if the 'Ring is open aswell, there could be race events.. Track days.. Private days etc.

Qashcow
When we left on the Saturday the stelvio was shut with 8 foot of snow, 4 days later it was opened phew. That was the only thing that had me worried about the trip lol.

Oh my s**t I can't wait till we do it again next year

There's no reason why the route goes that way. Just purely planning at the min.

I have got a question about the ferries though, was that the most expensive part of your trip, apart from the petrol obviously?

Cheers, Stu.

Qashcow
That's cool, the planning took me ages, had a 4 foot map of Europe stuck to my wall. We rarely used satnav and relied mostly on a map. You'll find that campsites are hard to find, some don't like groups etc.

Our ferry was £50 return a car, were all down south(ish) so did Dover-Calais. Out of season kept things cheap, I think oct is out of season too though unless it's in a half term

RB 200
How was the ferry that cheep?!?! ... Who'd you book with?
I'm just starting to plan everything out with google maps for now like, going to get some serious planning done though

Qashcow
i used google at first with the help of http://en.mappy.com/ which calculates fuel costs and toll roads etc. although we found them to be slightly more costly when we got there.

We used norfolk line ferries, using them again this year for our summer holiday. time of year makes a huge difference in cost, thats why we always go out of season

Last edited:
  Qashcow
Sunday 25th - Sunday 9th that your looking at is £58 + a few quid booking fee and credit card fee

340i
We travelled over with Norfolk line... Dover - Dunkirk :)

Fuel is ever so slightly cheaper in europe, but not enough to notice a saving!

IIRC I used 8 or 9 tanks of fuel for the total trip (you'll easily use around one tank at the 'Ring... 5 laps saw 3/4 of a tank in my 172)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i have nothing to add in here really, gray and bomber have said all about our trip
i am just gutted its not happening this year, the holiday will be epic though

Qashcow
Summer holiday should be good, but never going to be as epic as last years. Next year on the other hand....

I had looked at ferries from hull to Denmark(?) but they don't run it any more I don't think, gatebill would have been fun!

Evo 5 RS
something that needs to be done at least once, and definitely in the Clio! Great insight into the what not to bring and what not to do!

Although why anyone would take advise from a bunch of blokes who nosh each other off, roll about on the floor take a memorable photo of it I don't know. ;)

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Its my dream to go on a trip like this! but 1, I don't have the money and 2, I don't have a good enough car to make it worthwhile :p

Maybe in a few years time I will join you guys!

340i
TBH I don't think it matters what car you go in... its all about the overall experience and places you see

RB 200
Well I'm going In a 1.4 197 rep... So doubt I'll be keeping up much but it will still be amazing!

Save up and come along :)

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
We'll not be driving mad all the time, Like James said, he's going in a 1.4 so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Get saving :rasp:

Ok fine, I'll come ;)

Roughly how much would the whole trip cost?
Including ferrys, hotels, fuel, food etc.

340i
my total cost was just over £600 (sharing fuel costs with a passenger)

same Dan, Shadowness above..... camping for 6 nights, hotel at the 'ring