ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Euro road trip 1st of September 2013

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
Right I've bin saying I am going to do this for ages since 2008 lol so I've picked a date 1st of September till the 9th and decided to man up and do it a euro road trip! Ive put this thread up as I know there's other people on here that want to do a road trip just don't have to the time to plan it or are crap at saving up there money so I hope they will see this and give it ago too!

So here's the plan I am going to put £20 away every week now till I go away so that should be about £1000 I think this should easily get me by and it's easy to put £20 away evey week!
I am planning on setting off from Chester and going down to the tunnel do that I don't have to stress about getting the boat just get a ticket when I get there kind of thing. Not really 100% sure on where else I want to go yet apart form I really would like to spend a day at the ring just to say I've bin and seen it all plus I think renault world series maybe on there while I am on my little trip/holiday. I would like to go to the Renault sport factory aswell on the trip either on the way over or on the way back as I don't think it's far from the tunnel. Apart from that I don't have a clue where else I fancy going .. I just don't want to camp! I want to see some cool places ace roads and a few cool bars and have a fun time.

I know I've not put much info on this thread yet but I've got almost a year to work out where to go and what to do! I wanted to put this thread together to see who else is game and for people to add where they would go or have been!

Please anyone feel free on what they think needs to be added and if anyone wants to come please feel free to add your name.

Ash

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep

Take a look in that thread and the video. Worth every penny of the money you'll spend.

That looked ace dude, that's what everyone has always said worst every penny lol!

Can only make it in July/Aug mate, can't go term time :-(

Why not Daf! We need to go in term time less traffic and it'll be cheapper?

Plus I've got a few radios so people can still chat away

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
So Jason joe and Matt you all ok with thoses dates and the train? Or do you want the ferry?

Well I bet it'll be ready before cals 172

Have a look at our thread too.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?656001-Jon-and-Eddie-s-European-Road-Trip

I think September is getting on abit for the weather. the dates you picked will probably still be summer holidays too ash, so don't expect it to be cheaper. Can't imagine there is much difference anyway. Europeans have different school holidays to us.

I might be interested in coming, but I was looking at going to Le Mans next year.

Ferry is much cheaper, but the train is quicker/more convenient. If you need to know anything ask me or Ed as we've done it recently so can tell you things a bit better.

Have a look at our thread too.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?656001-Jon-and-Eddie-s-European-Road-Trip

I think September is getting on abit for the weather. the dates you picked will probably still be summer holidays too ash, so don't expect it to be cheaper. Can't imagine there is much difference anyway. Europeans have different school holidays to us.

I might be interested in coming, but I was looking at going to Le Mans next year.

Ferry is much cheaper, but the train is quicker/more convenient. If you need to know anything ask me or Ed as we've done it recently so can tell you things a bit better.
We did it late September, and it was over 35 degrees every day. I agree with the ferry. Cost us £57 return I think. Was a lot slower than the train though.

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
I ve piocked September cos it's the best time for me sorry and I know a few others can go then! Plus it should still be warm Jon I know people who live in germany france and holland and the weathers great still! I know the ferry is cheapper but you've got to book it ages in advance plus I should be able to get us a good rate on the train as I know people who book it all the time for work! Plus the train is easy turn up whenever I miss boats..... Plus Jamie gets sea sick.

Did talk to Eddie alittle bit Jon he said you and him where thinking about doing another trip!

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Wel just got off the phone to ash and he wanting a essay on this so here goes..

Train or ferry wouldnt bother me I've been on both although I suggest if your in a slammed car the tunnel won't be a good idea due to the ramps you have to use to get to and on the train. The Renault factory tour in dieppe is a must and I am told by Jeremy at ruk this will be around the time of this. As for the trip itself I'd love to use the a/b roads around Europe and a few places I would like to visit is the Millau bridge

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347885482.767907.jpg

Head from there to Monaco through the north of Italy into Switzerland for the San bernardio pass

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347885913.510672.jpg

Oberalp pass

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347885982.590035.jpg

After this head to germany do a few museums the ring and home

Now these are just a few places I think would be amazing proper Europe trip and something people may never do again..

Anyway whatever we do I'm in and the 172 will be ready.

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
About time cal!!!! All look epic I really think the train still as we will be pitched for time anyway I think to fit in everything I also think that a and b roads as much as poss I want to see thinkings not motorways

I would love to do a bit of the alps maybe the mont blonc tunnel!

Balls to the 172 do it in the 200 and you know who is staying at home!!!!!

Sounds like a daft route. You'll basically go the wrong way into france, then the opposite way over to switzerland to go south to monaco/passing back into france at the furthest point. Then back through all of what you've just done to go to germany/ring.

Think someone needs to look at a map ;)

If I was to do those places, this is what I would do:

http://goo.gl/maps/TnLkL

1. Either get the ferry or chunnel to france
  2. Head straight to Dieppe
  3. Le Mans (can't go that far and not see Le Mans)
  4. Straight to Monaco, with an overnight stop in Lyon probably
  5. Col de Turini
  6. Go to Monza
  7. 2 Swiss passes
  8. Stutgart for over night stop/museums
  9. The 'Ring
  10. chunnel home

Id budget A LOT more than £800 if you were doing ALL of that though and didn't want to camp. Id budget nearly double that.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Ash, you say you're manning up but you don't want to camp? Haha!

I camped at Monza last weekend and it was ace to be fair! There were proper toilets and showers though so I think I had it easy!

I am very much up for this but I'd definitely class myself as being crap at saving money. No time like the present to start though I suppose.

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
Jon I know what your saying about the map I've not even looked at one yet just want people to put places in where to go or to do/see then pick the best from there! That's why I wanted to put up the thread early! I already think more than 800 I was thinking a 1000 but if more is needed then we will have to look into it or do something's cheapper!

Glad to see your game Tyler;) I would maybe think about camping one night if I really had to but I'd rather not! Lol I know it could be ace and great fun camping guess we will just have to wait and see!

Ill buy a map tomorrow and draw all over it like a timmy!

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
Going to spend a few hours tomorrow on route planner and google see if I can put some ruff plan together....... And maybe some costs if I get a chance ...........

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
More info on this coming as well in the next few days! If anyone else is game just add your self to the thread and any ideas of where you'd like to go or do!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds interesting... but would just raise a couple of points worth thinking about. Firstly, I would look to increase the budget as you'll probably find it's going to cost a bit more than expected. If you don't want to camp/rough it you can certainly find cheap accommodation but the costs do add up. Toll road charges, fees, etc. I think my last trip was in the region of £1700 (over 8 days). Secondly, make sure you read up on the law and legal requirements for driving in each country you are visiting. For example, having a breathalyzer kit and ensuring you have your 'tax disc' vignette for driving in Switzerland (100 Euros). That said, it's definitely worth doing a trip like this. :D

BG 182cup
Guys are you still going on this cos the factory tour is on the 16th I'm all booked and paid
accomodation booked in Dieppe etc..!