ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP ECU into non-ESP Clio 172

hinesy1275

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 172
Hi All,
Long old story, but i purchased a wreck that was in fantastic condition to freshen up my current daily 172.
part of the 'freshen up' involves swapping a few body panels over (both iceberg silver). I've currently stopped short of swapping the doors over, however both doors on the wreck are pristine and the daily's have seen better days.[
Furthermore, the wreck came with two mint condition keys, both with functioning central locking. The Daily lacks both... so swapping the doors is looking pretty attractive, given all that would be left is ignition barrel.
Has anyone used an ESP ECU on a non-ESP car? what's involved? would i have to retrofit the ECU system - is that even possible?
any help would be awesome
Cheers,
Luke

Attachments

• IMG_5518.jpeg
    IMG_5518.jpeg
    728.2 KB · Views: 102

hinesy1275

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 172
ahh yeah UCH - good point, will swap that too, thanks mate.

anyone know if the ECU will have issues not recognising ECU functions? i know there's a little unit that sits in the centre of the floor, just in front of the handbrake, but not sure of any other ECU components?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
It will fire up and run if you fit the Uch/Ecu pack and matched key from the breaker. You will need to reprogram the uch with clip if any unwanted lights appear on the dash. I imagine the asr warning light will be on and the serv light.

The ecu in front of the handbrake is for airbags. Keep your current one it will work ok.

@Brigsy Do you have a clip mate? My car wont unlock on the fob and the interior lights dont work, this happened around when I fit a different ecu and uch, I saw there was a function to do with the uch I think about a reset but I didnt want to bugger it up!

hinesy1275

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 172
@Brigsy interestingly my non-Ecu Ph2 doesn't have the small box located in front of the handbrake, just empty space... perhaps it also has non functioning airbags? ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
@Brigsy Do you have a clip mate? My car wont unlock on the fob and the interior lights dont work, this happened around when I fit a different ecu and uch, I saw there was a function to do with the uch I think about a reset but I didnt want to bugger it up!

Yes mate i have clip. Central locking should fire up straight away wonder if uch is damaged ? I had one that said boot was always open..i think somebody had swapped immobiliser chip to a mis matched uch.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
@Brigsy interestingly my non-Ecu Ph2 doesn't have the small box located in front of the handbrake, just empty space... perhaps it also has non functioning airbags? ?

Somebody might have programmed it out on the uch. Does the airbag light come on with ign ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
*Sorry to hijack*

So with clip I could use an other uch laying around and configure it?

You would need to swap the immobiliser chip over on the uch or get the ecu immobiliser reset. Prob easier to pick up another cheap ecu/uch pack ?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I tried just plugging an ESP switch into my non-ESP 172 and it did nothing apart from light up.

You don't happen to have another rear bumper in iceberg do you?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Ahh! I've a mate coming from Newy on wednesday to stay with me for a fortnight, I reckon a bumper would have been a bit big to fit in his luggage though :p