ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS on 172 Cup

Question for those that have fitted.

Did you just swap your standard ignition barrel over with decoder ring?

Yes. Interesting point there - get a column without an ignition barrel, or get the key because you have to put the key in and turn to position 1 to unlock the barrel from the column LOL
I found out the hard way - had to drill the locking ping out of the barrel on mine as it had no key

Will I need a stub of wire for all plugs on the ECU in order to wire?

You need a stub of the main power plug.
The 16-pin plug comes with the box from ebay so you don't need that - and the other plug is on the end of a long blue cable from the EPAS motor so doesn't come with the column/ECU

Finally can someone put up a link with the reconditioned columns that has been spoken about on eBay please, I think this would be the best option for price versus condition right?

It's refurbished racks I've seen not columns

Brand new DCi rack for £65 -- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251253942011?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Cup In bits
Most recon stuff has an exhange surcharge though.

Could be a point I will need to look into it on the bay of e.

Yes. Interesting point there - get a column without an ignition barrel, or get the key because you have to put the key in and turn to position 1 to unlock the barrel from the column LOL
I found out the hard way - had to drill the locking ping out of the barrel on mine as it had no key

You need a stub of the main power plug.
The 16-pin plug comes with the box from ebay so you don't need that - and the other plug is on the end of a long blue cable from the EPAS motor so doesn't come with the column/ECU

It's refurbished racks I've seen not columns

Brand new DCi rack for £65 -- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251253942011?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So to simplify, you need a stub on the middle plug on the ECU, everything else is supplied with the control box and column?

yeah it was racks come to think of it, yours was from renparts right Phil without trawling back through this?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by big plug

Theres a wide 16 pin plug - you don't need that
Then 2 x 2 pin plugs with power/earth leads
One of those you need as you need to wire it to a battery feed with a 60a fuse
The other comes on a cable from the EPAS motor

It's the middle plug you need :-
$T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2sql7BRZGrw7fHw~~60_12.jpg

And the motor on the column needs to have this cable in-tact
$(KGrHqYOKigE6YOUYYu9BOpp(DqVcQ~~60_12.jpg

I got my DCi rack and 1.2 16v column with ECU from renparts yes :)
It's only an hour from me so I felt it was best to travel and pick them out by hand so I could get a nice smooth rack and all the wiring plugs I needed

I'm sure Kat can sort you out though if you speak to her

Someone else did ask about cost...
Rack - £25
Column & Ecu - £60
Ebay control box - £45
Wiring + misc parts - £25

So it's do-able for £155

I chose to also refresh the following
Inner tie rods - £15
Outer tie rods - £18
Bottom ball joints - £45

So about another £80

£235 aint bad for a brand spanking new steering setup, it feels like a different car, very tight!

Cup In bits
Cheers Phil

I edited my post there before you replied, I realised it was the middle plug after I posted.

My looped cup rack will stay, no thanks to removing another Clio subframe, not for a while anyway.

It appears you only need the top section, the collapsable lower column is a removable part that can be swapped.

edit: yeah my racecar has everything brand new throughout in Genuine Renault or r-sport parts so mine should be pin sharp come racing time.

Are you sure???

Make sure you definitely buy a complete column and lower shaft mate!! You can't split the original non epas column lower shaft. I made this mistake but luckily for me I found a lower shaft on eBay for £10!

Epas column splits in 2 btw, so you put the lower half in first, then the top half. That's how I did mine.

Fred said that I could extend the cup column to meet that twingo rack but even with the column in the vice I couldn't get that bottom knuckle joint to slide at all - even with a hammer and pipe grips
The 1.2 16v column I got you can slide the bottom knuckle easily

I'm not 100% convinced they are the same parts - though they do look the same

Cup In bits
Almost certain, have a look at your DCI column they have a bolt to remove from the upper part just like they do for the connection to the rack. I'm pretty sure this setup can be fitted to mk1's right through to the 182 as the pick ups and positions appear to all be the same. Mk2 shell never changed much to the mk1 except the slam panel and rear suspension pick ups.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
On my cup column you couldn't split the top half from the shaft that connects to the rack. No chance whatsoever if this is what your referring to Swede cup.

The top half of a dci column will split and has the bolt your mentioning.

Cup alternator bracket

I want to run one of the lighter renault 21/volvo style brackets but I can't find one anywhere :(

Belt was stated in here mate

5PK847 - is 202660655 on eurocarparts for a contitech belt

Just in case anyone else is making a collection of part numbers
£14 with next day delivery

Oh sweet yeah if they still do them chuck the part number up mate

The cup bracket seems a bit overkill having that massive block of metal just for an alternator lol

Just had a quick look and found this

7700718613 Plated tensioner bracket available £22.31 +vat
8200031832 Top bracket available £44.88 +vat
7703101094 Tensioner long bolt changes number to 7703002869 available £6.68 +vat
7703101073 Block bolts x 3 changes number to 7703002847 available £3.32 +vat

IMG_4425.jpg

And fits like this

IMG_4459.gif

Might be worth PM'ing wests renault to see if they're still available but they should be as they're used on R5's apparently

Lol I worried the same thing when you first look at it - but you have to realise the belt that's touching it (return to crank ) is running right to left in that pic so the water pump is running anti-clockwise

If you look at the standard setup

img0049xl7.jpg

It also will run anti clockwise as the top belt goes under it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is it me or is that water pump going to run backwards??

No cause you are just swapping between an under and over for an over and under.

Ie it will still turn the opposite direction to the crank, as per normal.

And the alternator will still run the same direction as the crank as per normal.

If there is any "issue" with it at all its merely that it will be a lot easier for the water pump to not turn (ie the belt slip) due to a greatly reduced contact patch, but I cant see that mattering personally.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I hope so

Pending sale of Saxo electric pas pump with one off billet CNC'd bracket with all pipework coming up for sale soon if this setup is to my liking, let me if anyone's interested.
Is it plug and play? How much?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My rack arrived today. Next month I will buy everything else needed and get it fitted.

Cup In bits
Had this waiting for me when I can home today, holy fcuk is it heavy. Lower column never came so need to sort that.

3E4B39BB-9E4A-4199-B110-8BC800CC66BA-1299-0000010B490E9F4B_zpsf4e6079c.gif

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah anyone thinking they will save weight by removing the hydrualic pump and switching to a motor is mistaken, lol

Wanna bet? ;)

If you swap just the PAS pump for an EPAS column you aint saving weight at all
But if you swap the rack to a DCi one it weights nothing and the cup rack weighs a ton

I'll weigh it all this weekend but i'd say 12+kg on the cup rack, pipework, pas pump, column - and about 6-8kg back on
So it is lighter - just not by much lol

Cup In bits
I can't see a saving tbh Phil, the pipes weigh nothing, pump weighs near nothing and the rack isn't that heavy. I will keep my rack anyway as its sturdier IMO.

That epas column is easily 12-15kg by itself with the ECU and I don't have the lower part yet. Simplicity was my reason for fitting and the variable feature.

Pete call your local scrapyard, most places I enquired about the column they said they had no use for the wiring.

The PAS rack weighs a lot more than the DCi rack
I can pick the DCi rack up with my little finger

I'll weigh them this weekend as they're all now lying around in my garage

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will be interesting to see figures, but if it is a saving its not likely to be a very big one like people would perhaps expect, main reason being the PAS pump itself is actually very light on these cars.

Dont forget to allow for the weight of the fluid too.