ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Enthusiast Compact

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking at one of these but there seems to be a few decent offerings:

Fuji X100
Panasonic Lumix LX7
Sony RX100
Canon Powershot S110

Anyone had any experience of them, and how they compare to a DSLR?

RX100 seems to be the big thing at the moment (and they really don't hang around second-hand). I have a few Flickr contacts who use them, quite often hard to tell if the photo is from a DSLR or compact.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Along with 28mm Fujinon WA lens, 3 x batteries, Fuji stay on leather case, fuji lens hood, strap and all original boxes.

RB 182 Cup
X100 has the largest sensor and should give the best overall image quality, amazing camera, built like a tank and looks beautiful. However, only has a fixed lens which may or may no matter to you, but worth considering what you want to use it for.

RX100 second largest sensor and gets amazing reviews too.

I would steer away from the other two just because of their small sensors.

I'd personally choose the X100 and live with its lack of zoom, but either this or the RX100 won't disappoint.

Got an rx100 and its pretty good, not quite the match of my a77 and decent lens but it is better than an entry level dslr and kit lens, its got a stop more dynamic range than a cannon 5dmk3 so that should tell you how advanced the little rx100 is! Bokeh is not its strong point.

Lx7 gets great reviews too but at 10 megapixels it didn't have the resolving power for my landscape and night photography. Rx100 will produce exhibition quality prints, no other compact will, obviously x100 will outclass it in iq but its not compact, nor is an lx7

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I always thought Lumix were still the top of the compact game mate. Some of the shots i've seen from compact lumix put some poor Dslrs to shame.

Russ used to do all his detailing shots with a tiny little Lumix and it was immense. TZ10 at the time iirc.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
It won't! I just stick the 28mm, if need be crop in photoshop. It also has a 3 stop ND filter built in which is handy for shooting F2 during the day. Flash sync 1/1000th sec. ...no DSLR can do that.
I even convinced Dan Freeman to buy one.....ask him, they are awesome and I never want for a DSLR nowadays unless shooting 150mm and above.

RB 182 Cup
I bought the baby sister of the X100, the X10 because I couldn't afford the X100.

I absolutely love the X10, but would dearly love the X100, its fixed lens wouldn't put me off. It would have to be the all black edition though!

RB 182 Cup
I almost bought the V1, but couldn't get on with the way that most functions have to be accessed through the menu system rather than buttons on the body. A mate has one and it takes amazing photos, but the kit lenses are quite restrictive in their maximum aperture.

Truly amazing value though, £850 or something when new, now about £250

If buying new, the below website is worth checking;

http://www.camerapricebuster.com/