ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

enlarging throttle body help

clio 172
Hello I have a standard 172 and was thinking and see you can buy an enlarge throttle body by I think 64mm, can I get my standard one enlarge at a engineering place who does race cars etc...... thanks !!!

It makes no difference to performance what so ever so would not bother.

If someone thinks it does please explain:approve:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
You can get yours enlarged.

You can also buy one ready done.

You could also just throw the money it would cost to do either of the above options out the window of your car whilst you are driving along, this saving 2 grams in weight and increasing your BHP per Pound.

All the above options above will make your car faster equally ;)

Don't bother is what I'm saying, money can be spent much more wisely else where.

Edit: in answer to your question as to why people like Ktec sell it.... If people want to buy anything a company will sell it, they are a business out to make money just like any other.

Mec 350 slk manual
Just use your std throttle body , as I have uprated cams and ported inlets and a std throttle body .

I have one fitted on my phase 1, I have to say it felt better, I switched back for a few days and it felt worse. So put it back on. The car has matched inlets, de-cat with non standard system and has been mapped. It would of course be interesting to see rolling road results back to back which obviously is the ONLY way to tell ! ! !

edited to say not from Ktec !

If you have cams, matched inlets etc then maybe you could consider it, otherwise for everybody else the standard throttle body is not a bottleneck. The stock inlet plenum is far more restrictive hence why things like the RS2 were built. Spend the money elsewhere.

With the standard inlets and an enlarged body you're simply moving the throttle position higher for the sense of more speed.

/thread

If you have cams, matched inlets etc then maybe you could consider it, otherwise for everybody else the standard throttle body is not a bottleneck. The stock inlet plenum is far more restrictive hence why things like the RS2 were built. Spend the money elsewhere.

With the standard inlets and an enlarged body you're simply moving the throttle position higher for the sense of more speed.

/thread

Even then, if the standard TB flowed less than the RS2/lower inlet could cope with, then surely the RS2 for your many many ££££ would come with an enlarged TB.

=> Standard TB probably still not a bottleneck even with an RS2 & associated cams, exhaust etc. that people would also be running?

SQ5
I have one fitted on my phase 1, I have to say it felt better, I switched back for a few days and it felt worse. So put it back on. The car has matched inlets, de-cat with non standard system and has been mapped. It would of course be interesting to see rolling road results back to back which obviously is the ONLY way to tell ! ! !

edited to say not from Ktec !

If it had been mapped for larger then of course it would run poorer on the smaller one.

If it had been mapped for larger then of course it would run poorer on the smaller one.

It was mapped with the smaller one by the previous owner but I have no idea if it was a generic map or custom rolling road map. (I bought it through a 3rd party so do not have contact with the previous owner to check) I also replaced the throttle body because I had incurable idle problems with the old one and thought why not one of these. (from Sussex Performance Engineering) cheaper than OE original I believe.

Even then, if the standard TB flowed less than the RS2/lower inlet could cope with, then surely the RS2 for your many many ££££ would come with an enlarged TB.

=> Standard TB probably still not a bottleneck even with an RS2 & associated cams, exhaust etc. that people would also be running?

I thought that too see. If they thought the RS2 could develop more power from a larger TB then surely it would have come with one.

The reason it felt better, is because, it was letting in more air at lower throttle incriments. I.e you were letting in 65% of OEM throttle at 50% throttle on the enlarged one.

The throttle body IS NOT a restriction. Chip is blowing 300bhp through his. I'm blowing 270 through mine. I've had 200bhp naturally aspirated through a standard one, and then it was the cams that were the restriction. Don't waste your money.