ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine replacement advice needed

Trophy 459
Advice needed I've bought a 182 Cup Infurno as a non runner allegly the owner replaced the cam belt & it's jumped a tooth!! I'm looking to drop it off at the garage this week.
So what is my best plan?
Get the engine rebuilt ! Has it damaged the pistons or just all the valves ? The car has covered only 59k with an engine rebuild at 50k.
Or put another engine in it?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I'm looking at keeping the car long term...

172 Rally Car
Depending on the damage, if the engine is goosed put another engine of a similar mileage in it!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Depending on the damage, but usually it is economically more viable to buy a decent engine and throw that in, instead of rebuilding the old one.

I did an engine swap instead of rebuilding.

Trophy 459
But am I really going to get a decent low mileage engine ? The car has done 59k
Anyone breaking a low mileage car ?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
If the cambelt has slipped i'd personally want all new valves on these engines and a good inspection of the valve gear. Once a valve has been clipped even if it's not damaged it's been weakened. In a non performance car I'd say don't worry about it fix what's broken and stuff it back together but if you want to use it then it needs to be right. Labour costs kill engine repair dead. My mum's Zafira just had a second hand engine because it was cheaper that sorting the valve problem it had. These F4R engines are robust in their intended use. Easily going over the 6 figure Mark with no issues so you will find a decent engine. Tricky cambelt change is a piece of wee with the engine out.

Keep your old engine, strip it yourself and get it inspected and you could always do a gradual uprated build on it for a later date if it all checks out.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I managed to pick up a 36k engine for £200 a couple of years back, after mine spat it's belt (previous owner botched it right up, I'd had it 3 days when it died)
Did the belts whilst it was out. Cars only done 52k miles now, engines on about 48k

edit:
If you do replace the engine, give me a shout, I could do with a cam/belt cover (the larger one that covers the exhaust pulley) and your only up the road

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Just a quick question, why was the engine rebuilt at 50k? and who was it rebuilt by?

Trophy 459
Adam Cowell had the engine rebuilt was or still could be! A member on here. I was looking to replace all the valves anyway as the head was coming off. Just want the car right.

172 Rally Car
If you have valve/piston damage, replace the engine.
The amount of work that is required to rebuild the head is quite comprehensive and expensive ( Valves, (maybe)lifters,(maybe) rockers, head gasket, head bolts, sealants , belts etc.) you also have the added issue of potentially damaged big end bearings depending on how hard the piston hits the head.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Adam Cowell had the engine rebuilt was or still could be! A member on here. I was looking to replace all the valves anyway as the head was coming off. Just want the car right.
Ah right ok mate, just a bit worried that if they hadn't done the belt right, there could be other things wrong as well....