ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Removal

Clio, Nova, Astra
As above need to take the engine out of the 172 i pressume theres a guide i cant find it tho.

Also how easy is it is there any quick tips or hints?

Thanks

172 cup, Impreza P1
Don't think there's a guide as such but just make sure you take pics of pipe and cable routes, notes of where bolts come from and do the same with connectors and hoses.

Empty the gearbox of oil before removing the passenger side shaft.
172 cat to manifold bolts can be difficult to get off but they are doable.
When lifting off the mounts, tilt it down towards the gearbox side, makes it easier to lift out.

Are you coming out the top or bottom? Pretty straight forward if you are good with spanners.

Clio, Nova, Astra
Don't think there's a guide as such but just make sure you take pics of pipe and cable routes, notes of where bolts come from and do the same with connectors and hoses.

Empty the gearbox of oil before removing the passenger side shaft.
172 cat to manifold bolts can be difficult to get off but they are doable.
When lifting off the mounts, tilt it down towards the gearbox side, makes it easier to lift out.

Are you coming out the top or bottom? Pretty straight forward if you are good with spanners.

Thanks matey i will be constantly taking pics,

Im pretty handy with spanners but new to renault all my work has been on vauxhalls and fords

Where is the drain bolt for the box?

Also would rather come out the bottom saves me dragging the craine out of my mates unit. but which ever is easiest tbh.

172 cup, Impreza P1
The drain bolt is on the underside of the box, can't miss it.

Renaults are no different with engine removal I'm sure, same process of removing things and knowing where they go back on.

If youre coming out the bottom you'll need to have the car very high and drop the subframe with it. IMO much easier to come out the top. Taking your time if you are decent with tools will take about 8-10hrs.

Clio, Nova, Astra
The drain bolt is on the underside of the box, can't miss it.

Renaults are no different with engine removal I'm sure, same process of removing things and knowing where they go back on.

If youre coming out the bottom you'll need to have the car very high and drop the subframe with it. IMO much easier to come out the top. Taking your time if you are decent with tools will take about 8-10hrs.

Thanks for your advice i thought people dropped them with sub frame on but obviously not must of made it up lol

I will go through top if its easier thats how i have done ever other swap lol

SQ5
Don't worry about doing the cat to manifold bolts, it's easier to take the manifold straight off the head.

There is a guide somewhere as I wrote it!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Might be easier to remove the manifold off the head but it's just been so long since I've had an NA manifold. The cast turbo logs are difficult to get access to the studs which makes me just split it at the cat joint.

Clio, Nova, Astra
I will disconnect it at manifold end no issues with that i plan on decatting anyway tbh so cat will be off at some point

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, it pretty much is.

Agree with the comments re: bolts. Always better to know where they've come from. If not, just post pics up on here of the bolt. Plenty of people here will be able to help