ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine not heating up

I noticed tonight that my engine doesn't heat up properly, in fact not at all. The temperature gauge doesn't hardly move off the bottom apart from when the car is sat ticking over for a few minutes. When it is left to idle for a few minutes the temperature rises to about half way. I have ordered a new engine coolant temp sensor hoping this will do the trick. If not I'm thinking thermostat, failing that I'll have to get it plugged in to find any faults. Any ideas? Thanks everyone.

Cheers for your help, hopefully it will be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully should fix it.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
if its stationary with no air through the rad it'd probably warm up, if it drops when driving. Worth changing the stat anyway they dont last forever

Thanks for your help. I fitted my new sensor this evening and no better. Took it for a 10 mile drive, didn't heat up at all. Get home and let it idle for 2 minutes and temperature gauge starts increasing. Take it for another drive and it's starts dropping before I get to the end of the road. Seems to me now that it could be the stat stuck open. If the water is constantly pumping through the rad and cooling down the engine doesn't get a chance to warm up. I presume the gauge works off the sensor that I replaced? I'll get a new stat and see how I get on. Cheers.

Stat came in post today, fitted it and all is well. Must have been opening too early. Temp gauge sits bang on in the middle now. Cheers for your help chaps.